Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #61
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Battery life is in the Technical Specs: 8 hours vs. 10 for the iPad. I hope the Pro can do better. I'm dreaming... I know....
I think we'll need to wait until tablets actually get into peoples' hands to see what the real battery life figures are. Apple have tended to be conservative and understate battery life for the iPad, while I've found that laptop battery life figures tend to be very optimistic. It will be interesting to see what reviewers find the Surface battery life to be.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #62
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think we'll need to wait until tablets actually get into peoples' hands to see what the real battery life figures are. Apple have tended to be conservative and understate battery life for the iPad, while I've found that laptop battery life figures tend to be very optimistic. It will be interesting to see what reviewers find the Surface battery life to be.
I tend to preorder new devices, because I am not the patient type, so I have to go by the technical specs for this one. It could be that battery life is worse or better, but the 2 hour discrepancy is pretty large, even if it is +- 40 minutes. Win Laptops I have gotten in the past all underperformed against their stated battery life, but I still hope that won't be the case with the Surface
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #63
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Battery life is in the Technical Specs: 8 hours vs. 10 for the iPad. I hope the Pro can do better. I'm dreaming... I know....
Where did you find the 8 hrs?

The Surface Pro will be $1000 I think...pretty expensive. But it does have full windows...we'll see. I was going to buy the RT at $399 with the cover....at $600 I'm going to have to see the reviews first.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #64
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The main thing I took away from watching this advert was that the Surface is going to be 'clicky'.

Which probably isn't true.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #65
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
To me, the price for Surface is almost suicidal. Before you place an order for Surface, ask yourself: Is there anything that you desperately need and only Surface has and Android tablet or ipad can't have? If the answer is "no", then be patient, just wait and see until real reviews come out (from actual users instead of columnists). Of course if you are rich and want to find an excuse to spend money, then go ahead and order one.

Last edited by pj123; 10-17-2012 at 01:45 PM.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #66
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Where did you find the 8 hrs?
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...-rt/windows-rt

"and with up to 8 hours of battery life"

I'm still wanting passive charging to be commonplace. It's slowly working its way into consumer electronics, but I'm somewhat offended by power connectors as a rule. E-ink displays get something of a pass by making it rare that I have to plug them in, but they aren't general-purpose devices.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #67
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
To me, the price for Surface is almost suicidal. Before you place an order for Surface, ask yourself: Is there anything that you desperately need and only Surface has and Android tablet or ipad can't have? If the answer is "no", then be patient, just wait and see until real reviews come out (from actual users instead of columnists). Of course if you are rich and want to find an excuse to spend money, then go ahead and order one.
I agree. The earlier rumors had it around the 299 price mark, if I remember correctly, which would have been a sure way for MS to get a chunk of the market. And they should let you chose your color at the same exact price, since they want these things to stand out on campus or the coffee shop. Imagine you would have to pay $100 extra for a colored iPod touch. I imagine their target audience is into colors and perceived individuality.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #68
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I think the ad should have less jumping around and more highlighting of the features. All you take away from it is that you have a choice of colors and an attachable keyboard.
Excellent point. Another example of bad advertising. What does all the dancing have to do with the features. The focus in on the hype, not how you will be able to use it.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #69
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Excellent point. Another example of bad advertising. What does all the dancing have to do with the features. The focus in on the hype, not how you will be able to use it.
Oh, I do all my dancing while throwing tablets around in the air. I'll even do it Gagnam Style.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #70
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Bad advertising? Look at Apple's marketing campaigns.

Consumers ("people") buy hype. Geeks buy whitepapers and keynotes. My opinion is that the commercial (more or less any commercial) is not going to target you or me.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #71
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Today's News:

1- Surface pre-orders have pushed deliveries for new pre-orders back three weeks. (Maybe the song and dance stuff *does* sell tablets. Who knew?!)

2- The MS Office on RT tablets is the same code base as Office for x86, just recompiled. The only thing that makes it a "Home and Student edition" is the licensing which is for personal non-commercial use. Companies *can* use it for business purposes if they are already licenced for Office 365 or the other x86 versions. Or they can buy a specific commercial use license. (BTW, the only thing that is "preview" about Office RT is that it was sent to manufacturing before Office 2013 went Gold. The final version will be out within a month so anybody taking delivery afterwards will get the final version.)

3- The reason Surface RT ships with 32GB storage is because, like the x86 version of Windows 8, WinRT itself (and Office) reside in the SSD volume, not in a separate ROM. And they take up 10GB between them. So 32GB is more like 22GB user accessible storage.

With that in mind, yes, they do need to cut the price once the early adopter frenzy cools off. Say in January.

One more time: Surface RT is a *PC* not a mediaPad. It plays by PC rules and PC pricing. It goes where the existing products don't go. And in those places the price is probably acceptable.

But me, I don't like in those spaces anymore, so I'm even more sure that it is best for me to wait. I want to see the Nexus 10, the FireHD9, the NookHD+, and maybe even the baby unicorn. Plus the other Win8 tablets, both RT and Pro. I can wait till spring if I have to.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #72
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Today's News:

1- Surface pre-orders have pushed deliveries for new pre-orders back three weeks. (Maybe the song and dance stuff *does* sell tablets. Who knew?!)

2- The MS Office on RT tablets is the same code base as Office for x86, just recompiled. The only thing that makes it a "Home and Student edition" is the licensing which is for personal non-commercial use. Companies *can* use it for business purposes if they are already licenced for Office 365 or the other x86 versions. Or they can buy a specific commercial use license. (BTW, the only thing that is "preview" about Office RT is that it was sent to manufacturing before Office 2013 went Gold. The final version will be out within a month so anybody taking delivery afterwards will get the final version.)

3- The reason Surface RT ships with 32GB storage is because, like the x86 version of Windows 8, WinRT itself (and Office) reside in the SSD volume, not in a separate ROM. And they take up 10GB between them. So 32GB is more like 22GB user accessible storage.

With that in mind, yes, they do need to cut the price once the early adopter frenzy cools off. Say in January.

One more time: Surface RT is a *PC* not a mediaPad. It plays by PC rules and PC pricing. It goes where the existing products don't go. And in those places the price is probably acceptable.

But me, I don't like in those spaces anymore, so I'm even more sure that it is best for me to wait. I want to see the Nexus 10, the FireHD9, the NookHD+, and maybe even the baby unicorn. Plus the other Win8 tablets, both RT and Pro. I can wait till spring if I have to.
I too am interested in the pricing.

Still I don't know if it will replace my netbook.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #73
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I too am interested in the pricing.

Still I don't know if it will replace my netbook.
I'm keeping this one in mind:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...udes-keyboard/

Once it shows up on Amazon (discounted) it might be worthy.
I expect cheaper models from other players.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #74
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
Bad advertising? Look at Apple's marketing campaigns.

Consumers ("people") buy hype. Geeks buy whitepapers and keynotes. My opinion is that the commercial (more or less any commercial) is not going to target you or me.
Did you just call us all GEEKS? How dare you!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #75
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Today's News:

I disagree: the Surface RT is a media tablet, the Surface Pro is a PC.
On the Pro, I can install regular windows software. On the RT, I can install tablet apps only from the MS app store. The RT is not the complete Windows 8 experience.