Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The next netbook: It's really a phone

Well, sort of. But not really. Actually, the Lenovo Skylight is a netbook, powered by the same chipsets that go into cellphones. The reason is that the cellphone chips use less power, so they'll run longer than laptops and other netbooks (an expected 10 hours), and give you always-on web connectivity the whole time. Developers are expecting people to buy these through their cellphone carriers, getting a discount off of the estimated $500. price tag by signing up for a monthly data plan.

Will these make good e-book readers? Well, it's Linux-based, so there will be apps available for it out there somewhere. More details at the Lenovo web site.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Hmm, I really don't know what to say other than this looks like an answer to a question nobody asked.

10"
2lbs
10 hours
Discounted off $500, but...
will likely require a data plan.

How in the world can this be any better than the current netbooks with a USB 3G stick?

Oh, and it's ugly as sin. Just my opinion...
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Oh, and it's ugly as sin. Just my opinion . . .

Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
why hasn't anyone done a netbook that is ACTUALLY a phone yet? Instead of having a netbook and a phone just have the netbook w/phone built in. you use your bluetooth headset/car speaker to talk
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd bet you could use Skype with it... but to get access, you'd still need a cellphone data plan, which I don't think you can get without the calling plan. Either way, I'd bet there's a bluetooth-type device that would let you use it as a phone.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Oh, and it's ugly as sin. Just my opinion . . .

Agreed. Ever since the first pics were leaked, I thought it was one of the ugliest designs. I can't stand all that space above the screen
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Oh, and it's ugly as sin. Just my opinion...
wow. i hear you. LOL.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think this particular device is not worth getting worked up over, but it represents a compromise design that could be useful for netbook/ebook reader merging. Slap a 10" Pixel Qi display in there and make it convertible, then hide the scars from being lashed with the ugly stick and it'd have some real multifunction reader potential.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
then hide the scars from being lashed with the ugly stick and it'd have some real multifunction reader potential.
surely it was bigger than just a stick. more on the order of a whole branch.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
BTW, these are called smartbooks.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650

The video is more like an ad than a review but you can see what the device looks like. It cracks me up how they call it a little pop-up usb reader; seems like they expect owners to go out and buy more of these as the maximum each can store is only 16GB. Not sure how much memory the mini-sd can hold. The netbook uses a Snapdraggon processor. Also I heard elsewhere the keyboard has good feedback for a netbook/smartbook.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
While I like the design and Idea behind this My biggest Peeve with it is that it supposedly it is 3G only, i.e. No WiFi.

Now I don't know about you, but While I like the ability to connect anywhere, via 3G, the fastest connection I can usually get is via Wifi, especially in build up areas.

I'm more keen for its Bigger brother, the U1 that was also announced at the same time. It's a hybrid with Windows 7, but a detachable screen which has the same guts as the Skylight. With a reported 8-10 Hours of battery life in laptop mode, and 6-8 in slate mode, It looks like a more interesting and versatile device.

JKOnTheRun Had a nice detailed hands on with all the new devices Here, (Unfortunately the video is not embeddable here) and Rev3 Also had a close look.

bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
While I like the design and Idea behind this My biggest Peeve with it is that it supposedly it is 3G only, i.e. No WiFi.
It has 3G and WiFi integrated!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
They say there's a place for everything and to put everything in it's place....but to be honest.....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
Javed
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I'm more keen for its Bigger brother, the U1 that was also announced at the same time. It's a hybrid with Windows 7, but a detachable screen which has the same guts as the Skylight. With a reported 8-10 Hours of battery life in laptop mode, and 6-8 in slate mode, It looks like a more interesting and versatile device.
The U1 is looking good to me also. The hybrid Windows7 and snap on keyboard may be a good design.
Would like to know more about this device in the future.

Tags
e-book reader, netbook