Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Tamo
Tamo began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Not able to read Word .doc files

I got my Iliad couple of days ago. I copied bunch of word 2003 (.doc), .PDF, .txt to SD card. Iliad is able to open .PDF, .TXT fine. But nothing happens when I select any .DOC file. I thought Iliad is able to read the .DOC files and that is main reason I bought it.

Do I need to install any s/w (it is running 2.12 + dev package) ? Do I need to save .DOC in particular format on my PC and then transfer.

I searched around. Nobody seems to have this problem.

Please help.
Tamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Hi,
Doc files are not supported natively. The easiest solution is to convert them to pdf. OpenOffice is quite good at that (you can set the page and borders to fit the Iliad screen nicely). I've read about an (experimental?) viewer somewhere, but didn't try it...

h.t.h.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamo View Post
I thought Iliad is able to read the .DOC files and that is main reason I bought it.
How did you get the idea that iLiad is able to read .doc files?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
From iRex's Product page on the iLiad:

Quote:
File formats supported : PDF / HTML / TXT / JPG / BMP/ PNG / PRC (Mobipocket)
I don't believe MS Office formats (.DOC) have ever been natively supported.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Tamo
Tamo began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Hi,
Doc files are not supported natively. The easiest solution is to convert them to pdf. OpenOffice is quite good at that (you can set the page and borders to fit the Iliad screen nicely). I've read about an (experimental?) viewer somewhere, but didn't try it...

h.t.h.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
How did you get the idea that iLiad is able to read .doc files?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15934. Now that I click on .doc, I can see that i need to install FBReader. Many other links on Google also give that impression.

Anyway, I will still find it useful, as I have Adobe Pro (7.0) which allows me to batch convert .doc to .pdf . I just need to convert 100 or .doc to PDF. A night of back processing will do and I will be in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
From iRex's Product page on the iLiad:

I don't believe MS Office formats (.DOC) have ever been natively supported.
Thanks. I realize it now :-( I will just convert my .doc to PDF and use it that way :-)

Last edited by Tamo; 11-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Tamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert