Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Cybook Opus?

I see one of the few online shops that sell eBooks to us here in South Africa is offering the Cybook Opus on pre-order. The Cybook Gen 3 seems to be unavailable, and the only other alternative is the Bebook.

The Opus looks like an interesting device and I'm wondering if it would be worth it getting the Opus instead of the Gen 3. Anyone seen the Opus in real life? I know the Paris meetup will get a chance, so hopefully they can post some comments.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I see one of the few online shops that sell eBooks to us here in South Africa is offering the Cybook Opus on pre-order. The Cybook Gen 3 seems to be unavailable, and the only other alternative is the Bebook.

The Opus looks like an interesting device and I'm wondering if it would be worth it getting the Opus instead of the Gen 3. Anyone seen the Opus in real life? I know the Paris meetup will get a chance, so hopefully they can post some comments.

We are all waiting with bated breath ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
bjornkeizers
bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bjornkeizers has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I certainly am! I've been checking mobileread and retailer websites for the past two months now. I'll be ordering one as soon as a Dutch retailer has them available.

I really, really hope they'll ship them next week. But who knows what they said at the French meetup...
bjornkeizers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #4
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
The first impressions on the Opus are discussed (in English) on the meetup thread on the French forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50232

I thought it was very nice, very small and a nice shape. I was afraid the screen would be too small but it's actually only slightly less wide than the cybook's (and somewhat less high), so the length of a reading line is still good. It also supports automatic switching from portrait to landscape mode.

It does not support mobi, but epub (and html and txt and pdf? not sure about that).
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I would never have thought to check in the French forums since my French is limited to 3 words!

It does sound encouraging, although I don't know about the ePub format. I already have quite a few .prc files. Wonder if it would be easy to convert them into ePub format.
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. I would never have thought to check in the French forums since my French is limited to 3 words!

It does sound encouraging, although I don't know about the ePub format. I already have quite a few .prc files. Wonder if it would be easy to convert them into ePub format.

calibre springs to mind ....
Old 07-05-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
calibre springs to mind ....
Have been looking into it and it seems to be the solution to the problem. Guess that wouldn't stand in the way of getting the Opus then.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bear in mind, though, that the Opus does not have dictionary support, since it does not support MobiPocket. That, to me, is a very major "backwards step".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bear in mind, though, that the Opus does not have dictionary support, since it does not support MobiPocket. That, to me, is a very major "backwards step".

it doesn't, that is true - though there are attempts being made to remedy that I am sure ....
Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
For me that isn't that big an issue. I'd just love to get my hands on an actual reader. My choices will limited to either the Cybook Gen 3 (64MB version if it ever becomes available), the Bebook 512MB version and the Cybook Opus (1GB).

The Opus looks like the cheapest option (US$380) when converted from my local currency. And hopefully it offers slightly newer or streamlined technology.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
GeoffC

Quote:
For me that isn't that big an issue. I'd just love to get my hands on an actual reader. My choices will limited to either the Cybook Gen 3 (64MB version if it ever becomes available), the Bebook 512MB version and the Cybook Opus (1GB).

The Opus looks like the cheapest option (US$380) when converted from my local currency. And hopefully it offers slightly newer or streamlined technology.

possibly ... experience, though, suggests beware of unintentional 'bugs' ....
Old 07-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:

The Gen3 is only available in 512MB. And it should be back shortly in the bookeen's store (as they sayed to us)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
The Gen3 is only available in 512MB. And it should be back shortly in the bookeen's store (as they sayed to us)
Actually the shop I would possibly buy from still had the older 64 MB version of the Gen 3.

If the 512MB version becomes available when the new stock arrives that will be a huge bonus and will make my choice between the Gen3 and Opus much more difficult.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Must be a shop with very old stock - the 512MB Gen3 replaced the 64MB version in about May 2008.

I really would not buy the 64MB version. Not only does the 512MB version have 8x as much storage space, but it also has a much better-designed navigation control; the control on the 64MB model was very stiff to operate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Must be a shop with very old stock - the 512MB Gen3 replaced the 64MB version in about May 2008.

I really would not buy the 64MB version. Not only does the 512MB version have 8x as much storage space, but it also has a much better-designed navigation control; the control on the 64MB model was very stiff to operate.
That's why I'm holding out. By the end of the month I will hopefully have enough cash saved up to be able to buy a reader. Will have to wait and see if the Opus and the 512MB version is available by then. I did e-mail them and apparently the 512MB will be available "within a few weeks time" - but that was in the middle of June and it's still not shown.