Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
How to stop eBookLibrary from auto-starting?

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.1 and this is more annoying than a real issue. Every time I plug my reader on it pops up. Is there any way to block that? I do not want to uninstall as I actually use it every so often to buy some of their books but I would like it only to pop up when asked. If any one has any idea it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I noticed that annoyance on my Windows XP machine.
In Windows you run msconfig and untick Ebook Library Launcher on the startup tab.
Is there are similar Configuration program on the MAC OS that you could do the same thing?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Kypt
Connoisseur

Now I see. It seems to install that service here in OS X as well. Alteast now with that in mind I'll see how I can prevent it from starting up. Thanks for pointing me into the right track.

Update: Uninstalled eBook Library and re-installed again, however this time I opted to not install the eBook Library Launcher. This should take care of it for any that have similar issues.

Last edited by Kypt; 10-28-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Kypt. Try this. Open 'System Preferences'. In the spotlight window, top right, type Start, the main windows turns dull grey, the Accounts icon is highlighted. From the drop down options select Open applications at Login. You should find your problem in there.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
tech_au,

Thanks for the instructions. It really is nice not having that Sony ebook library open everytime I plug in my Sony 505. That was so annoying.

luvshihtzu
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Kypt
Connoisseur

That was the first thing I did, however for some reason it wasn't there. Only had the GrowlHelperApp, Synergyd (to share my mouse/kb on 2 computers) and the iTunes one.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
eBook Library Launcher can also be disabled (turned off) or deleted using 3rd party utilities.

Both Norton 360 and CCleaner have start-up managers.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
kurtoregon
kurtoregon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
Now I see. It seems to install that service here in OS X as well. Alteast now with that in mind I'll see how I can prevent it from starting up. Thanks for pointing me into the right track.

Update: Uninstalled eBook Library and re-installed again, however this time I opted to not install the eBook Library Launcher. This should take care of it for any that have similar issues.
How exactly did you uninstall it? There seems to be no dedicated uninstall app, nor a way to uninstall through the regular installer, and I don't think that dragging the ebooklibrary app to the trash will uninstall the startup items, will it? BTW, there are no sony-related startup items in the Accounts preference pane, as another user suggested, and if you manually (at a terminal) kill the ebook library launcher process it is immediately re-spawned by some other process.
kurtoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
callwing
callwing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
In Windows you run msconfig and untick Ebook Library Launcher on the startup tab.
Is there are similar Configuration program on the MAC OS that you could do the same thing?
Thank you so much for the info on how to stop Ebook Library Launcher in Windows - I prefer to use Calibre so this fix is a god send. Many thanks..
callwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Could you tell me how to do this please? I have Vista. Thank you.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Never mind, I found it, thanks
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post
eBook Library Launcher can also be disabled (turned off) or deleted using 3rd party utilities.

Both Norton 360 and CCleaner have start-up managers.
Of course, neither of these apps run on a Mac... thank god. Nor are they needed.

For Windows you can get the free Sysinternals AutoRuns. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote