Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #211
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I'm a bit late replying here, but I wanted to say it is a real shame. Fictionwise had been going down for some time now, and my latest purchase was perhaps 3 or 4 years ago, but this was the website where I started getting my very first ebooks on my PRS-500 back in the days. They were pioneers and deserved a lot better than what they got in the end. I'm sure they made some money when the site went over to Barnes & Nobles, but they should be number 1 in the ebook business today considering the head start they had...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #212
lightcap
lightcap began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus,Nexus 7,Nook ST
17 out of 968 have transferred for me. I really enjoyed Fictionwise back in the day. Glad I backed up everything years ago. I was hoping some of the DRMed books would transfer, as when I converted many of them to epub from ereader format, they required a lot of tweaking to look good on a larger (than my Palm TX) screen and maybe the new one from B&N would look better.
lightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #213
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have the same problem. No new email since the first one.
I called B&N Customer Service today because I also haven't received the promised second email (clicked the button a week ago today). The nice lady on the Customer Service line said they are experiencing "delays" and that I should "wait another week."

When I pointed out that there was a limited time to get this accomplished and that my measly 113 books represented a large investment to me, she told me there was still "plenty of time" since the books are still accessible until 12/21 ... Yeah, right, tell that to the Mayans!

Fortunately, I have them all backed up. Like just about everyone else here, I would just like to avoid having to Apprentice Alf them using the ereader tools (not as easy as the ePub tools) and then convert and clean up the text. Much better to have the convert/clean up done by the vendor.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #214
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I called B&N Customer Service today because I also haven't received the promised second email (clicked the button a week ago today). The nice lady on the Customer Service line said they are experiencing "delays" and that I should "wait another week."

When I pointed out that there was a limited time to get this accomplished and that my measly 113 books represented a large investment to me, she told me there was still "plenty of time" since the books are still accessible until 12/21 ... Yeah, right, tell that to the Mayans!

Fortunately, I have them all backed up. Like just about everyone else here, I would just like to avoid having to Apprentice Alf them using the ereader tools (not as easy as the ePub tools) and then convert and clean up the text. Much better to have the convert/clean up done by the vendor.
Thanks for the heads up. I have Secure eReader mostly from them. They all convert great for me no clean up needed. I just add indents in Calibre because they don't have indentation. No problems using the "tools" on them.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #215
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I have Secure eReader mostly from them. They all convert great for me no clean up needed. I just add indents in Calibre because they don't have indentation. No problems using the "tools" on them.
My retooled pdbs were mostly okay, except for the popup (as opposed to the inline) TOC, which was a lot of random noise. Did you ever figure that out?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #216
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
My retooled pdbs were mostly okay, except for the popup (as opposed to the inline) TOC, which was a lot of random noise. Did you ever figure that out?
Sounds like a xpath problem. Try using Calibre default regex in the chapter detection box.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #217
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Sounds like a xpath problem. Try using Calibre default regex in the chapter detection box.
Sounds like a plan
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #218
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What did they say when you phoned them?
Basically told me eReader.com had no direct customer service number (I called B&N at 855-654-9332) and to email support@ereader.com. If I didn't receive a response in 24 hours I should call back and they'll escalate the case somehow. Meh. I hope I didn't miss it in a spam folder back around the 16th.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
They probably figured that no code was better than a broken code, like others of us received.
I'm going to have to give B&N a call. Their site still says the week of the 19th.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #220
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I tried my link again today and this time I made it to the confirmation screen that says they will send me a link the week of November 19.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #221
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Still waiting for the *first* email. A phone call to B&N yielded no help. Thankfully, I have all my books (over 3000 from Fictionwise and over 200 from eReader - I've read most) downloaded, stripped, converted and backed up. (I do the same with the Amazon books, too.)
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #222
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I never got the original email. I wrote to Customer Service saying so, asking for one. No response still on that one.

Someone gave me their link and I just substituted my own email addy for theirs. Got to the B&N page where you click "agree" and then submit. Then got the notice to wait for an email during the week of the 19th. No email that week.

Got an email with the code this morning. I enter the code but the system says it can't find it. So did a 'live chat' which I doubt is actually live, but just a suggestion to go to the FAQ. Then got quoted what looks like the FAQ info to call Customer Service.

So called Customer Service, got cut off somehow on the call. Called again. They say they're aware of some 'small issues' and I should get another code in 1-2 weeks. I point out the deadline, but she seemed to think that was still plenty of time.

I did mention I expected that Fictionwise customers would not be penalized on time because they're having 'issues'. She noted that she put down in my account notes that I did call on this date.

I really doubt they're telling Customer Service anything, so they're just winging it. Nice lady on the phone, so I didn't give her a hard time.

But nothing accomplished. I don't even have one book transferred. But I'll keep hammering away with the code number I do have. Maybe it'll slip through.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #223
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I tried my link again today and this time I made it to the confirmation screen that says they will send me a link the week of November 19.
B&N goes FTL!
That should be fun to see!

"There once was a young lady named Bright
"Who could travel much faster than light
"So she set off one day
"In a relative way
"And arrived the previous night!"
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #224
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I never got the first email, but I followed the link given here last week. I got the same response many others got about getting a code the week of the 19th. I just got the following email from B&N:

Quote:
Dear Fictionwise or eReader Customer –

You may have already received a communication that Fictionwise is winding down its operations and that you can transfer your titles from Fictionwise.com or eReader.com*to BN.com. The URL that you received may be returning an error message so we would like to provide you with an updated link. We apologize for any inconvenience.*
Click here:*(link removed)
to go to the opt-in page, where you’ll be instructed to confirm that you would like your eBooks in your Fictionwise or eReader Bookshelf transferred to a NOOK Library. Please opt-in by December 21, 2012. Once you opt-in, you will receive more information about transferring your eBooks and this ongoing process.

For more information about how you can transfer your Fictionwise or eReader Bookshelf to a NOOK Library, including additional details on how the transition will apply to current eMagazine subscriptions, Rewards and more, please visit our FAQ web page: http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm*
Thank you.

The Fictionwise and eReader Team
When I click on the included link, I get the error about the email address not matching... Sigh... Guess their "updated link" still doesn't work...
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #225
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I never got the first email, but I followed the link given here last week. I got the same response many others got about getting a code the week of the 19th. I just got the following email from B&N:

When I click on the included link, I get the error about the email address not matching... Sigh... Guess their "updated link" still doesn't work...
I just got the same e-mail. Got the same error message. I had not tried the link from the first email because of all the problems mentioned on this board. I tried the link from the first email, works. I get the message that I will receive the code in the week of November 19.

The URL that worked from the first email is very short and ends with email=myemailaddress.
The URL from todays email that did not work is a lot longer.
Perhaps you could try to copy and paste the URL in your browser and remove the part that follows after the first time your email address is mentioned.

Last edited by geertm; 11-27-2012 at 02:26 PM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote