Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #1201
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The dropdown is meant for viewing the contents of specific collections, and also viewing nested collections.

You can get to it by clicking on an actual collection so the current view is of the collection. The dropdown will then tell you what collection you are currently viewing, with an option to return to the root.

It isn't a bad idea for it to always list all collections there, but that has never ever been implemented to my knowledge...

Maybe because nesting would confuse it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #1202
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can get to it by clicking on an actual collection so the current view is of the collection.
Clicking on the actual collection, where?
For me the drop-down lists only list the root ("/")...nothing else

I see the books and the collections in the panes (area below the drop-down list), but cannot find any way to actually use the collections.
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #1203
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
Clicking on the actual collection, where?
For me the drop-down lists only list the root ("/")...nothing else

I see the books and the collections in the panes (area below the drop-down list), but cannot find any way to actually use the collections.
Keep following that line of thought.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #1204
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Keep following that line of thought.
OK, thanks. I will keep playing...

How it works for me:

Tapping on the box in front of the collection name -> puts a tick mark in the box and then the icons for copying, moving, renaming ect. becomes active (but both panes are still listing the stuff in the root directory (not so useful...)

Tapping on the collection name has no effect. Does not sellect anything and nothing happens.

Double-tapping on the name also has no effect... Same as single tap.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #1205
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Tapping the collection name selects it for me. I do not know why it doesn't work for you, but it should.
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #1206
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You might have to try something between a tap and a long-tap, that might work better, especially on a KT (weird IR-grid as input, slow CPU).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #1207
JNT
Connoisseur

Quote:
Tapping the collection name selects it for me. I do not know why it doesn't work for you, but it should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You might have to try something between a tap and a long-tap, that might work better, especially on a KT (weird IR-grid as input, slow CPU).

Finally success! (Well, sort of...)

Firstly, my mistake thinking the drop-down list should list all available collections so I can select one... Does not work like that.

Secondly, sadly it seems that my touch screen might have some issues. I used short names (like A1) to test this and tapping in that vertical area did not work for me. There seems to be an area more to the center (which I never tried due to the short names) that works more reliably, but as NiLuJe says, something closer to a long-press works (well, mostly, when using the center area of the screen)

Really appreciate your help!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #1208
ACardAttack
ACardAttack began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Is it safe to assume that 5.4.2 PW2 is never going to get full support because of what ever Amazon did to the firmware and that the only way to get full functionally is to downgrade?

I've been watching this thread and getting email updates hoping to see a post about an update that lets 5.4.2 be able to use all the functions.
ACardAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #1209
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ACardAttack: FW 5.4.2 has been supported for quite a while.

If you were thinking of nesting, then, nope, not going to happen, that's a change of behavior on the framework's part, nothing we can do.

For the other minor CloudCollections related issue, if you're using Calibre, switch to LibrarySync, which handles newer firmwares better.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-31-2015 at 04:56 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #1210
lmir
lmir began at the beginning.

Device: KT2 5.6.0.1 :(
Excuse me for dump (may be) question. I new with Kindle and new in this forum.
I recently bougth a Kindle Touch, firmware 5.6.0.1. Can I use The Collection Manager downgrading firmware or by other "not so dangerous" methods?

Thanks
lmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #1211
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Firmware 5.6.x has not (yet) been jailbroken -- it is a moot point.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #1212
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmir View Post
Excuse me for dump (may be) question. I new with Kindle and new in this forum.
I recently bougth a Kindle Touch, firmware 5.6.0.1. Can I use The Collection Manager downgrading firmware or by other "not so dangerous" methods?

Thanks
The KT2 ships with 5.6.x firmware -
**Never** try to install firmware that is an earlier than the original version released for a specific model. **Never** (Even if you could and you can't.)

(Hey, think about it. If an earlier version worked properly, the vendor would not have spent $$$,$$$ creating a new one. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #1213
kdyovt
kdyovt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
The CM feature "show only unfiled items" appears to show only those items grayed out AND that have not been included in any collections. Since in firmware 5.4.2 onwards, the grayed out items (i think it's the isVisibleInHome attribute set to 0) are not shown at all anywhere, wouldn't it make more sense to make that feature show only items that have not been included in any collections, regardless of the isVisibleInHome attribute?
kdyovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #1214
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
collections problems

I have a Kindle Touch 5.1.0 and i tried to use kindle collections and well it gave me a error
i have like 200 collections with hook in plug in. it starts to open collections manager and the kindle restart.
any idea?!
thanks
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #1215
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Did your Kindle install an over-the-air (OTA) firmware update?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks