Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
denysm
denysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litterdenysm doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Calibre in Windows 8

As many of you may know, a very preliminary version of Windows 8 was released this week (aimed at software developers). It will probably be a year or more before the final version comes out.

For the hell of it, I thought I'd give Calibre a try in it, and am pleased to report that as far as I can tell, it worked flawlessly. In common with most other existing applications, Calibre is regarded as an "heritage" application. Windows 8 is being designed essentially as a dual operating system - the heritage part to run existing applications (this is very like Windows 7), and a primarily touch part for which applications will have to be rewritten. Only a few of the latter type of application (primarily games) are included.

If anyone wants to play with Windows 8 (it is still incomplete and probably buggy), it is a free and large (2.8 gb) download from Microsoft.
denysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know that calibre continues to work on windows 8. I saw a video demo of windows 8. The interface looked nice for touch devices, but rather inefficient for a desktop. But since they keep the old shell around, I guess it doesn't matter.

It's interesting that Microsoft appear to be moving to a tiling window manager, I've been using one for years
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I tried to install Calibre on windows 8 consumer beta. it gives the error: " This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Calibre seems to be working fine on my win8 install.
Win8 seems to be playing nice with all my devices, software, etc on my desktop.
I have it installed on a spare hard drive that is a duplicate of my primary drive. I can see how it interacts without causing any problems with my primary system. So far everything works fine.
Win8 consumer preview seems kinda/sorta interesting but I'm not sure I find it easier to use.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
well, it turns out that problem is related with the package. it did not installed on windows 7 too. Probably not downloaded correctly.
Sorry for that .
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, windows 8