Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
LeggoPerDiletto
LeggoPerDiletto began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm confused too

Hello everybody,
I'm new to this site so please don't get angry with me if my post is not appropriate. However I was reading about the DRM issue so this is my question: I wan to buy a Sony reader to read txt or Word text. Will the quality of the text be clear ? Just as clear as BBeB books ? Thanks.
LeggoPerDiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The clarity of the text has no connection with the format of the original file (unless it's PDF - but that's a whole new story). BBeF, txt, RTF, it'll all look just as clear. It may not be as nicely formatted, of course, but that's a different question.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, actually BBeB reader does use a separate font renderer (Font Fusion), which supposedly produces better rendered text. The other viewers use Freetype.
I didn't notice much difference though.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, that may explain why a 12pt font in an RTF is so much smaller than a 12 pt font in LRF!

Other than suggesting you'll probably want to bump up your font sizes in RTF, it works great. I used it for a long time before coming over to the LRF with BookDesigner, it's just too easy to convert them with the tools around here, and the performance advantages are well worth it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I have not used RTF since February, only LRF.
A few days ago I loaded one RTF Times New Roman 16pt which is roughly equals BD 10 and I was very surprised. I liked RTF much more. The letters are thinner than LRF, although I use normal boldness in BD, thus making the text more crisp and pleasant to my eyes.
I guess I am going to request something less bold than normal setting in BD.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert