Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #16
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by charadeur View Post
Ricky what I was looking for was confirmation that I was stating it correctly or not. Hence the reason I asked if the summery was fair.

I assumed that everyone would understand that beauty or ugly is subjective and not fact. I am always a function over form type of guy but if features are equal then how it looks is a valid decision point. If I had made up my mind I would have just bought the Sony and not have wasted your or my time asking.

Please accept my apologies I did misstate what I meant in this one. What I should have said is:
You must own a Kindle and do some questionably legal things to get Amazon content on your Sony.
Is that stated correctly?

Please let me know why that is incorrect about the above one? Is it because I stated it as "much screwing around" as opposed to say "some screwing around?" Or do I have it completely wrong?

It sounds like ebook pricing is one big plus for the Kindle. Browsing the Amazon store it seems like every book I am looking at reading has the "click here to let the publisher know you want this book on Kindle" (paraphrased.) It makes me wonder if I should not be looking at these devices yet. Though I must admit the last 5 books I read are available on Kindle. I was surprised to see even The Wordy Shipmates is available for Kendle.
How it looks should never be a part of a discussion. Things that are entirely subjective, and a matter of personal opinion are pretty damn pointless to discuss. If someone else says they like the way the Kindle looks ... is that going to change your mind about the way it looks? Opinions on aesthetics are not worth anything, except to the person who is stating the opinion.

It doesn't take much in the way of any "screwing around" to get content from other sources on my Kindle. So, yes, I would say you have that completely wrong. I have purchased books from sources other than Amazon without any problem. I have also obtained a lot of wonderful free books, both from Amazon and other sources. So, yup .... massively in error there.

I don't own a Sony, so I have no idea if you have to do anything illegal in order to get Amazon content on it. I have seen some Sonys, and I don't think all that much of them, although my friends who have them like them very much.

If the books you like to read are available on the Sony at a price you like, then consider getting a Sony since they are not available for the Kindle. Amazon is adding new books all the time, and I have found books that are in a format the Kindle reads at other stores, so it's difficult for me to say whether or not those books are available at other sources, or will be available any time soon. However, if you can't find your books at Amazon, and you also can't find them at the Sony store or any of the other stores that provide materials for those readers, then it doesn't much matter which of the two you purchase.

And ... there you go. So, try doing a comparison list of your top 20 favorite books. See if they are available for the brand you are considering, and at what price. If content is your tipping point, then go with what you see there. If looks are your thing, then buy whatever floats yer boat.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
charadeur
charadeur began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think even though it was a rough start we are making some progress. Ignoring the other issues for the moment and give me more in these questions.

1. Can I download and use Amazon content on the Sony?

2. Will the Kindle read pdf, text, or html files?

3. If I buy content at Bookonboard (for example) can I read them on the Kindle?
charadeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It doesn't take much in the way of any "screwing around" to get content from other sources on my Kindle. So, yes, I would say you have that completely wrong.
I would personally agree with you; however, I know that copying files and running scripts would constitute as a lot of work for my mother (whom I just bought a Kindle for). So like most things its a subjective.

I would assume if charadeur were decided, he/she wouldn't have posted. It's clear he/she's done some reading here and was looking for confirmation of his/her understanding before buying. Better to ask the questions now rather than after buying, right?

In hindsight, I should've done more research before buying my Kindle. However, my Kindle does everything expected and more (thanks to this board) and so I have no regrets.

I do feel like I am in the midst of the beta vs vhs wars....people love their eReaders and passionate about their choices for good reasons. When I decided to buy a second Kindle (for my mother), I did question how much I wanted to invest in a given platform...but if my mom enjoys her Kindle as much as I do mine, I will have no regrets (and if not, I'll just return hers )
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have a Kindle and for me the pros were:

Dictionary lookup and search - It's nice to be able to look words up in a dictionary. I used to just get them from context if I wasn't 100% sure but it's a richer experience for me to really look at the word. I also like being able to search for words in my books. Not only is it great for books, I have many of my recipes on the Kindle. It helps when I'm shopping to be able to find all the recipes I have with a given ingredient. Wikipedia & Web search are also fun. It's nice to get a quick answer without breaking the rhythm of my reading.

Content availability and price - Amazon has a lot of books. They're usually a bit less. When I first bought the Kindle, they were A LOT less.

Wireless delivery - I didn't think all that much of it when I was making my decision. How hard is it to transfer a file via USB? Not hard. Now that I have it, I realize how amazingly convenient it is, especially in conjunction with one of my other favorite features:

Free sample chapters - When I hear of something I may like, I just go to Amazon, on my computer or from the device, and have it send me the first chapter free. If I like it, I click the link at the end of the chapter and get the whole book sent to me instantly. I don't even have to put down my cup of tea. Sweet! I no longer buy books ahead of time unless I'll be traveling out of the country (no Whispernet outside the US). I used to buy books and not like them enough to finish them or just not end up reading them. The fancy for them would pass. This saves me lots of money. DH also loves it when he's commuting on the train. He doesn't have to plan ahead to have another book in case he finishes his current one. It's easy to always have a book. This lets you have the book you want right now, not the one you thought you wanted a week ago.

And, believe it or not:
Ergonomics - I actually find it more comfortable than the Sony. The big page turn buttons are easy to press by accident if you're handing it around or holding it up in front of a camera trying to do a video review. When reading, I find they make the page turns so seamless regardless of which hand it's in. I do think it's highly personal, though. The buttons are right where DH likes to hold his books. He's used to them now but he doesn't like them as much as I do.

Sony has some compelling features. Adding epub and DRMed PDF support made them way more attractive IMO. I do like the looks of it better, too. The Kindle just had the features that mattered more to me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #20
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
I think even though it was a rough start we are making some progress. Ignoring the other issues for the moment and give me more in these questions.

1. Can I download and use Amazon content on the Sony?

You cannot download Amazon eBooks unless you own a Kindle

2. Will the Kindle read pdf, text, or html files?

Kindle supports unprotected Microsoft Word, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files. You will need to convert pdf files (or have Amazon do it). The Kindle will not read drm'd pdf files.

3. If I buy content at Bookonboard (for example) can I read them on the Kindle?

If you buy drm'd books from other sources, you will need to "screw around with scripts" in order to read them on the Kindle
Hope this helps

btw- Alisa expressed my personal feelings on the differences very eloquently
Advert
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I would personally agree with you; however, I know that copying files and running scripts would constitute as a lot of work for my mother (whom I just bought a Kindle for). So like most things its a subjective.

I would assume if charadeur were decided, he/she wouldn't have posted. It's clear he/she's done some reading here and was looking for confirmation of his/her understanding before buying. Better to ask the questions now rather than after buying, right?

In hindsight, I should've done more research before buying my Kindle. However, my Kindle does everything expected and more (thanks to this board) and so I have no regrets.

I do feel like I am in the midst of the beta vs vhs wars....people love their eReaders and passionate about their choices for good reasons. When I decided to buy a second Kindle (for my mother), I did question how much I wanted to invest in a given platform...but if my mom enjoys her Kindle as much as I do mine, I will have no regrets (and if not, I'll just return hers )
Well, I've bought an awful lot of books from sources other than Amazon, and I haven't had to run a single script as yet. So, I just don't see that screwing around is at all necessary to maximum enjoyment of the Kindle.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #22
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Hope this helps

I wouldn't know. She's on my "ignore" list ... so I don't see her posts.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Get the Cybook
I have to agree with this one! I loved my Cybook so much I bought one for Hubby so that he would stop nabbing mine.

Here are some key points to consider:
  • Dictionary lookup - can download any Mobipocket dictionary for lookups
  • Content availability and price - Mobipocket books are available at several ebook stores (Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, Baen, etc) so you can 'shop around' and find the best price
  • Weight - 6.13 ounces (174 g) battery included
  • Fonts - The Cybook allows you to add your own TTF fonts and gives you a choice of 12 font sizes to use

Have fun choosing, whichever one you pick with be the best one for you.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, I've bought an awful lot of books from sources other than Amazon, and I haven't had to run a single script as yet. So, I just don't see that screwing around is at all necessary to maximum enjoyment of the Kindle.
Given I read mostly bestseller fluff, most of my books are drm'd and I need to run scripts if not from Amazon. The exception being a few free Jane Austen books I downloaded. I also borrow books from the library (mine fortunately does offer mobi) which need scripts as well.

The scripts are no issue for me; however, they would be for my mother. On the other hand, I think the process of downloading and transferring would be too much work for her (hence the Kindle being the right choice).

Please don't ignore me
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston;290646[COLOR="Red"
]Given I read mostly bestseller fluff, [/COLOR]most of my books are drm'd and I need to run scripts if not from Amazon. The exception being a few free Jane Austen books I downloaded. I also borrow books from the library (mine fortunately does offer mobi) which need scripts as well.

The scripts are no issue for me; however, they would be for my mother. On the other hand, I think the process of downloading and transferring would be too much work for her (hence the Kindle being the right choice).

Please don't ignore me
HEY! Was that a shot???
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #26
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
HEY! Was that a shot???
just trying to lure you and pilotbob into the discussion
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Given I read mostly bestseller fluff, most of my books are drm'd and I need to run scripts if not from Amazon. The exception being a few free Jane Austen books I downloaded. I also borrow books from the library (mine fortunately does offer mobi) which need scripts as well.

Please don't ignore me
Ummmm ... why would I ignore you?? I only ignore people who are:

1. Really mean for no particular reason .... or,
2. Say things that are beyond stupid, bordering on the trollish.

I may disagree with you, but that doesn't automatically mean that I think what you have to say is stupid. Oh, and I'm not the sort of person that sneaks someone on to my ignore list .... I generally blast them with several broadsides (never without a good reason to do so), either in public or by private message, and then I ignore them.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
charadeur

Quote:
Hope this helps

Exactly what I thought but seemed to not be getting the point across. I can do pearl scripts but why if I don't have to. Also I have seen discussion for scrips on Windows and MAC but not much on Linux. I'm sure I can make them work if I match the pearl versions but again the less I have to mess with it the better. The VHS vs Betamax is a great analogy and just how I feel.

Alisa, that was very well put. Thanks for the input. Funny that I am leaning toward the Kindle at this point but I have been here before. Looking at the content at Amazon they do give you a good selection. I'm not sure that sleeping on it will get me any closer.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #29
charadeur

Well another plus for the Kindle is on the Amazon web site Steve Gibson the computer security guy from Security Now podcast and Sheilds UP website gives it a glowing review. I have been using his free security checker for years and always respected his insight.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Exactly what I thought but seemed to not be getting the point across. I can do pearl scripts but why if I don't have to. Also I have seen discussion for scrips on Windows and MAC but not much on Linux. I'm sure I can make them work if I match the pearl versions but again the less I have to mess with it the better. The VHS vs Betamax is a great analogy and just how I feel.
If you get a Kindle you can buy any book in the Kindle store and read it without any need for a PC at all. If you get nonDRM mobipocket books you can read them without running any scripts at all.

If you want to read library books with a Kindle, then some scripts have been provided by the community to allow for this without violating the DRM. However, you are perfectly free to choose to NOT get books from the library.

If you get the Sony you can buy books from the Sony store (assuming you are in North American) and not need to run any scripts. You can also buy secure Adobe and read those without running any scripts. Of course, the selection and prices are no where near as good as the Amazon store.

If you want to read library ebooks on the Sony and you find a library with secure Adobe ebooks you can read them without running any scripts. This seems to be popular.

Many with the Sony do decide that they will get better prices and selection if they buy LIT which can be converted with a few simple comands.

The choice is up to you. You can obtain content for both readers and never resort to any 'screwey' scripts to fix/convert/liberate the ebooks. However, many of us do choose to extend the selection with does require those 'screwy' scripts.

As far as no Linux guides... a Linux user is welcome to add those to the Wiki. This is totally being done voluntarily. My opinion is though that most people that do run Linux are usually more familiar with using the command line and will be perfectly able to get these things running.

Anyway... I think you have all the facts you need. I wish you luck in your decision.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote