Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm still happy with my ipad2, my wife is still happy with her ipad1. No reason to upgrade here. We've found skipping a generation or even two with iOS products seems to work well for us.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I hear the ipad 2 16G version will continue to be sold at $399 for those who want a cheaper model. it is not being replaced.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #33
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
If the improvement in text sharpness looks as good as the improvement from the iPod Touch 3 to the 4, then that alone is worth the upgrade to me. A bit faster processor or better camera aren't important to me. I'm upgrading for the screen only.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I hear the ipad 2 16G version will continue to be sold at $399 for those who want a cheaper model. it is not being replaced.
The complete iPad 2 line-up is also available refurbished. Very nice discounts on all models and really, Apple refurbs are as good as brand new (with new chassis and battery), carry the same 1-year warranty and are eligible for extended Apple Care coverage.

Refurbished:
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi $349
iPad 2 32GB Wi-Fi $449
iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi $549
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G $479
iPad 2 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G $579
iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G $679
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #35
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Today I pre-ordered an iPad 3 64Gb WiFi and leather cover for my wife. I got a small discount through an employee purchase plan. Currently we have two iPad 1's and they both get a workout here at home. We watched the keynote tonight and it showcased a lot of nice upgrades over the iPad 2.

=Laserjock=
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #36
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I've been reading, if you have an iPad 1, go ahead and upgrade. If you have an iPad 2, don't bother.

That's the same thing said about upgrading an iPad 1 to and iPad 2.
That's a bit of a contradiction in itself :-)

This is a mobileread forum.
I can only speak for myself, but having 4 times the resolution available for displaying an e-book seems like a tremendous improvement to me.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #37
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
my iPad 1 still has at least another year in it.

I'll probably pick up this new one next year cheap when the 4 comes out or splurge on the 4 itself.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #38
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
I would rather get another 5 inch pearl-based reader ;-)
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #39
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
If it has 1GB Ram, it should be future-proof for reading PDFs (not that I have too many problems now, but you know, as software evolves...)
If it doesn't, well, I might as well skip it...
Also, I might just wait until the first refurbished ones show up (around summer I suppose), I think a little discount wouldn't be bad... Also, I think it's good to see how the thing itself performs... And to wait for app upgrades of all the apps I want to experience in full quality...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #40
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I would agree with most sentiments re the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 move. My mom has an iPad 2. She doesn't need to upgrade, other than the screen she wouldn't see the difference.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I would agree with most sentiments re the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 move. My mom has an iPad 2. She doesn't need to upgrade, other than the screen she wouldn't see the difference.
The screen is, I imagine, the primary reason to upgrade for most people who will be doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #42
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen is, I imagine, the primary reason to upgrade for most people who will be doing so.
I do not own an iPhone. So, a honest question here: can you tell the difference when reading? Not talking about comics or other stuff, just normal books with letters and tables.

I already have an eink device plus a Kindle Fire. I just do not see the reason to upgrade. On my eyes, the Kindle for iOs looks ok on my iPad2.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I do not own an iPhone. So, a honest question here: can you tell the difference when reading? Not talking about comics or other stuff, just normal books with letters and tables.
Yes, there's all the difference in the world. The 133dpi screen is distinctly pixilated. Text on the iPhone 4 screen is completely smooth - you just can't see the pixels, no matter how closely you look at the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Yes, there's all the difference in the world. The 133dpi screen is distinctly pixilated.
Totally agree. When I moved from 3GS to 4, I was able to cram more text per page since smaller font sizes are actually legible with retina display.

Quote:
Text on the iPhone 4 screen is completely smooth - you just can't see the pixels, no matter how closely you look at the screen.
I can but I'd have to be holding it really, really close to my face to see the pixels. Like around 3-4" or so (and I'd get terribly cross-eyed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Yes. Definitely. It's like the difference between printing using an old dot matrix printer and a new laser printer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #45
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
yup, ordered the ipad 3 right away. ipad 2 has been amazing but i gotta get me some 'o dat retina display!
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad3