Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Kobo Mini and Free Ebooks questions

Hi, has anyone here purchased the Kobo Mini? What's the verdict?
I saw that some independent bookstores will sell the mini for $49 on Black Friday, so I am considering buying one, for use with the classics.

Second question is: from the device itself, when you click on "free ebooks", do you see the entire Project Gutenberg catalog, or only the books that Kobo choses to offer for free? Can you select different languages within the free ebooks category? And, for the free ebooks, can you download them straight to your device, without the need to connect to a computer?

OK, these were more than 2 questions.

Thanks in advance!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
If you're on the device and looking at the Kobo store then yes, you can download the books straight to your device with no computer necessary.

As for which free books Kobo offers, I'm unsure as to how much of the Gutenberg library they redistribute. One nice thing: You can go to the Gutenberg website with the Kobo web browser (included as an Extra on the Mini) and download epubs straight to the Mini.

I have never looked around for different languages, as I only read English.

I have the Kobo Touch, and absolutely love it. As long as you don't mind the smaller screen size and lack of expandable memory (no SD card slot) I'm sure you'll enjoy the Mini, especially if that $49 price shows up.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I have the mini and very much enjoy it. It has been only a positive experience.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answer to both of you.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I adore the Kobo Mini. Great size and the reading experience has been good for me. I do have several other devices and I understand what a pearl screen looks like.

I posted a couple of images showing the size and screen differences between my Kobo Touch and the Kobo Mini:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=37

Terisa de morgan posted an image showing the Sony PRS-350 and the Kobo Mini:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=48

I can read better from my Kobo Mini than I can my Kobo Touch, the screen is slightly whiter. I would have no problem buying more of these as gifts and I wish I had independent bookstores in my area that carried them. I'd love to save $30 on each one.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I have a Kobo Mini. It's a nice device..extremely portable.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

Thanks for the pictures and comments. Would you have any pictures showing text side by side?
Mycurlylocs, in case if you have not seen it, you can do a search for a seller in your area, but then would need to call them to inquire about the mini sale.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Suzanne2
Suzanne2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
hi there, please help! How do you see all the free books available without using a computer, just your Kobo mini? It is driving me crazy!
Suzanne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
The Mini is nice, but I don't consider it my primary reading device. That honor goes to the Aura. I think for a secondary reader that is great for all those on-the-go needs, it's absolutely perfect.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
The Mini is nice, but I don't consider it my primary reading device. That honor goes to the Aura. I think for a secondary reader that is great for all those on-the-go needs, it's absolutely perfect.
Interesting, I see both of them on the same level: they cover different needs. But the Aura is still new, so that may change with time

Suzanne2, you'll find useful information in the other thread. Beware that asking the same question in different places at the same time is frown upon here.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote