Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
eewild
eewild began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch 2.1.5 Bookmark reverts to beginning of chapter

With the new firmware if I stop reading at any point within a chapter and return to the home screen or power off and back on, the book opens at the beginning of the chapter. I thought maybe it had just corrupted the current book I was on, but it happens with another book I've never read before.

These are sideloaded books on an SD card. I've done a basic reset, but I will never do a factory reset until Kobo saves my stats for non kepubs in the cloud. I do not want to lose total time read.

On top of this, I can't sideload new books. The Kobo processes content but they never appear in the library.
eewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I've had the weird bookmarking issue with kepubs as well, so it's not just confined to sideloads apparently.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I haven't had that problem but then I refuse to upgrade past 1.9.17 anymore. Having said that I do have an issue where my Kobo goes back a page, sometime although very rare it will go back 2 pages when it goes to sleep or powers off. Never had it go back to the start of a chapter though. Possible the bug has gotten worse in the new firmware?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eewild View Post
I've done a basic reset, but I will never do a factory reset until Kobo saves my stats for non kepubs in the cloud. I do not want to lose total time read.

On top of this, I can't sideload new books. The Kobo processes content but they never appear in the library.
The fact that you're bookmarks aren't working and you can't load new books would suggest you have a corrupted database. In that case you may be stuck doing a factory reset to get things working properly. I know someone has posted before about the issue of it going back to start of chapter but it's not a common issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Before trying a factory reset, try the signout (Settings | Account | Signout). This will avoid the need to reinstall firmware but will reset the database and require you to go through the setup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Peter,

Doesn't that reset the Reading Stats as well?

Larry Mohr
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Probably it does; but the awards do seem to be preserved...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
eewild
eewild began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
All I want to keep is the stat that says I've read for 290 hours...
I think for now I'll avoid any resets that could wipe this until it's saved into the cloud or perhaps in the new year. The books that were on my SD card before the update can still be read, and the bookmark issue is just a minor annoyance for now...
eewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I don't know about the stats cus I don't pay any attention to them but I've had that weird chapter problem with 2.0.0 and with 2.0.4. So far, it hasn't started again with 2.1.5. The solution I had was to do a factory reset. That solved the problem until Kobo came out with 2.0.4 when I had to do it again.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote