Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
When I read I am oblivious to what is going on around me. I am so immersed in the book that I do not even see the book or the pages. What ever form the book takes does not matter to me when I am reading. On the other hand I do like my ereader for the ability to carry all of my books and because I can read in the dark without a light.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ok, I'll come clean. No more pretending being a literary connoisseur. I'll just say it.
Here it is.

I just don't get it.
Who cares if the text is on papyrus, scrolls, antique paper, bond paper, e-Ink or AMOLED screens?
You're consuming text. End of story.
You're obviously fine consuming these texts here on a screen of some sort.
Consume your damned texts in any which format you prefer. Why should I care?
Can we move on?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Was there a big debate going on and I missed it?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Was there a big debate going on and I missed it?
Not the first thing you've missed.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not the first thing you've missed.
ouch. ok then.
Advert
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
ouch. ok then.
Sorry, I'm ten days late and my mood is literally in dacrygelosis, don't know if I should be jouyous or depressed. I have no right to lash out here because of my personal problems. I truly repent, and apologize from the bottom of my heart.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
spindlegirl
Wizard

Kumabjorn, don't worry, no big deal - take care!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
I love the free PD books.
Me too!

I always raise my eyebrows over the piracy debates -- from my own experience I'd say the real competition will come from free PD books. Authors will not only have to be better than their contemporaries but also better than the very best authors of the past to compete.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i went to b&n the other day and got some books. then i came home and ordered even more. i still love buying paperbacks more than anything; ebooks are cool but they'll never give me the same thrill.
I've bought a few e-books here and there, but even after reading it on my e-reader and liking it, it doesn't give me the same feeling of "I've bought something", as when I get a singular printed book. I bought 2 paperbacks for my son last week and it just had a different "feeling" than that of downloading a file I had permission to access.

I do love e-books, from the free public domain books, to the borrowed ones to the smashwords books I've downloaded, I enjoy reading but the feeling just isn't the same.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Actually in the DC Area there are a lot more than two freebies, but I am off the subject here. What pinecone is saying I have noticed on Metro rail as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I have noticed that last few months, that on the DC Metro subway, at any given time, there are more people reading electronically than pbook form.

Still a lot of pnewspapers, but part of that is the two freebies that are available in the area and at most Metro stations.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yes it's undeniable that e-books are on the rise, while prints are on the low.
I just hope print books won't disappear altogether, they've been around for so long that I would kind of miss them.
They won't disappear, they will just become more elitist. Sort of like people who still buy vinyl records. For a while vinyl nearly disappeared, now they are making them again.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I've bought a few e-books here and there, but even after reading it on my e-reader and liking it, it doesn't give me the same feeling of "I've bought something", as when I get a singular printed book. I bought 2 paperbacks for my son last week and it just had a different "feeling" than that of downloading a file I had permission to access.

I do love e-books, from the free public domain books, to the borrowed ones to the smashwords books I've downloaded, I enjoy reading but the feeling just isn't the same.
I seem to get the same thrill from ebooks as I did from paper books.

For me the thrill is from getting either getting something I want (for example unread book by a favorite author) or stumbling on something new/and or forgotten.

Of course getting someone a gift you know that they will enjoy, is an extreme thrill in itself.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #28
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
dacrygelosis
Now, that's a word I'd never heard before. A great one to remember.

Thanks Kumabjorn!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #29
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Who cares if the text is on papyrus, scrolls, antique paper, bond paper, e-Ink or AMOLED screens?
You're consuming text. End of story.
You're obviously fine consuming these texts here on a screen of some sort.
Consume your damned texts in any which format you prefer. Why should I care?
Can we move on?

Well this IS a discussion forum and people are discussing the popularity of ereaders and ebooks.
Why is that any less valid a discussion than anything on this discussion forum?
If you really don't care why did you bother posting in this thread at all?
Why should people have to "Move on" just because you don't care what format you read books on?
Personally I find the discussion in this thread interesting and would like it to continue...

For the record it IS all text but to some people there's more to it than about reading a lot of text. The texture and feel of a book vs ebook seems to matter.
So does the convenience of having 100s of books on one device (I.E. an ereader)
That's just a bit of what's discussed in this thread.

There, I've said it..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

So you have, so you have...