Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Is it possible to "restore" a Demo Kobo?

I (stupidly ) bought a demo Kobo Touch from ebay, thinking that I could restore it as I had several demo Kindles. It was only on searching through the site and being unable to find any methods available, that I realized that perhaps it wasn't possible to "restore" a demo Kobo. However, I thought I might check one more time to see if there are any methods I have missed that might be of some help.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I haven't heard of anyone here doing it, but we can still try.

What can you do with it as-is? Does anything happen when you connect it to your computer? You could try opening the device and see if it has a micro SD card inside, which would simplify matters. Did you try holding the home button while powering on the device? On normal Kobos that will activate a factory reset.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At first when I received the Kobo, it was frozen on the font change screen. I managed to reset it and it went into "demo" mode. Basically, it is continually cycling between different screens in the Kobo. I've tried hooking it up to the computer, but it isn't recognized, though it is charging. It doesn't have a micro sd card in it at the moment, though I do have one.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant that the internal memory inside the Touch might be a micro SD card. You'd have to pry off the back to check, though if there is an internal SD card it should be pretty easy to get it out of demo mode.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
sneakyspider

I looked inside, but if there was one, I couldn't recognize it.

Edit: I managed to find another thread on here that said the Kobo Touch doesn't use a micro sd card for internal memory.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 05-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I can't help you, but on my non-demo Mini I have the demo pictures in a folder. Also, the demo devices displayed in stores behave exactly like mine. Some are stuck at the "connect to computer?" screen.

Sorry for asking again, but what do you see on the Touch when you plug it to a computer?

Good luck!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
KevinShort
Addict

OK, not all Touch models have an internal SD card. So if you can't put files on it from a computer and there's no SD card, your only option might be to use a serial cable
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I can't help you, but on my non-demo Mini I have the demo pictures in a folder. Also, the demo devices displayed in stores behave exactly like mine. Some are stuck at the "connect to computer?" screen.

Sorry for asking again, but what do you see on the Touch when you plug it to a computer?

Good luck!
I don't see anything when I plug it into the computer. It just continues to cycle through the demo mode. It doesn't respond to being plugged other than to indicate a charge.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
sneakyspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
OK, not all Touch models have an internal SD card. So if you can't put files on it from a computer and there's no SD card, your only option might be to use a serial cable
I'll look into it. I'm beginning to think it might be a lost cause, but it doesn't hurt to look into all options.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What model number is on the end near the USB port? The N905B and N905C seem to be the ones with the internal SD card. The N905 doesn't.

As KevinShort asked, have you done a factory reset? To do this:

- Turn it off by holding the power switch in the off position for at least 10 seconds.
- Hold the Home button down and turn it on. Keep holding the home button until the lights start to flash.

An alternate way of doing this is:

- Turn it off by holding the power switch in the off position for at least 10 seconds.
- Hold the Home button down and push something into the reset button at the back. Again, hold the home button until the light starts to flash.

In both cases, ensuring the device is off is important. The factory reset with these methods will not happen if the device is not off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
And if I remember well, if plugging the Kobo to a computer when it's off (the Kobo, not the computer), you'll be prompted to connect to the computer or go on charging only.
It's worth a try
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
sneakyspider

I have tried a factory reset, but it didn't do anything appreciable. I think I also plugged the Kobo into the computer when it was off, but I'm not completely sure. I might try doing that.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Katch
Katch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
pop off the back cover using a credit card or something; it comes off easy enough.

Then look and see if there is an SD card inside the Kobo - not the slot on the side but inside on the mainboard.

If it does then someone can probably get you an image of the stock firmware to restore onto it.

If it doesn't have one then you are probably stuffed.
Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
sneakyspider

I have looked, and no SD card. I've decided to sell it so that someone else can use it for parts. I don't think it can be made to be a usable ereader, unfortunately.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I have looked, and no SD card. I've decided to sell it so that someone else can use it for parts. I don't think it can be made to be a usable ereader, unfortunately.
If you want to change the firmware and allow you to update to working Kobo Software you will have to play with the partition tables and mount the correct partition to do the update and manually bring a copied touch image to it.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote