Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
thuya1991
thuya1991 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Confused!!! and question about kindles and all e-readers

Hi everyone,
I am just new to the e-reading community. I am thinking about buying below $200 e-reader with eink. Considering kindle but by reading all the threads here, I am so confused which one should I buy.

Reason to buy e-reader
- I have all of my books that I want to read in .pdf files (no need to access their stores or whatever)

My other concern is that I could be able to copy my .pdf files to the e-reader and read it without buying them again.
thuya1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
thuya1991

Did anybody know about new nook release date??
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuya1991 View Post
Did anybody know about new nook release date??
It is out now.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
thuya1991

any suggestion to buy e-reader??? PLEASE guys
Old 06-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Umm I suggest you get the new Nook. It fits your requirements.
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
thuya1991

Can I copy .pdf files to kindle and read it?? To be honest, I am kind of a little bit scared about new nook cause who knows how many bugs they will have as it is new.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

Yes you can. Both do what you asked.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
6" screens are not ideal for reading PDF files formatted for US Letter or A4 paper (which most are IME). If PDF truly is your primary goal I'd suggest looking at at least the DX, which is out of your price range and has inferior PDF support.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
thuya1991

what happen if I open in .pdf in those kindle and nook? I am just wondering??
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
what happen if I open in .pdf in those kindle and nook? I am just wondering??
it depends, I have quite a few books that are in Pdf that are just fine read and format great. but some people who have graphs, maps etc in pdf don't seem to have the best experience on 6 inch eink

so if you are going to read novels, don't let the whole 6 inch eink scare you , it should be just fine, especially on the nook where it does text reflow.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am just new to the e-reading community. I am thinking about buying below $200 e-reader with eink. Considering kindle but by reading all the threads here, I am so confused which one should I buy.

Reason to buy e-reader
- I have all of my books that I want to read in .pdf files (no need to access their stores or whatever)

My other concern is that I could be able to copy my .pdf files to the e-reader and read it without buying them again.
I don't recommend you a Kindle or Nook for as PDF reader. Actually, tablets are better for that purpose, like iPad. 6" is too small for reading PDFs.

The best overall reader with eink screen and nice PDF capabilities is Sony, followed by Kindle DXG (because screen size)

PDF were not designed to be reproduced on eink devices so will be difficult for you to find a good one. iPad with GoodReader app could be your best choice. Talking by experience here!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
thuya1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
it depends, I have quite a few books that are in Pdf that are just fine read and format great. but some people who have graphs, maps etc in pdf don't seem to have the best experience on 6 inch eink

so if you are going to read novels, don't let the whole 6 inch eink scare you , it should be just fine, especially on the nook where it does text reflow.
I am a computer programmer so I have all those pdf programming books. What do you guys think about pdf files graph? What's happen to all those graphs??
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
thuya1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I don't recommend you a Kindle or Nook for as PDF reader. Actually, tablets are better for that purpose, like iPad. 6" is too small for reading PDFs.

The best overall reader with eink screen and nice PDF capabilities is Sony, followed by Kindle DXG (because screen size)

PDF were not designed to be reproduced on eink devices so will be difficult for you to find a good one. iPad with GoodReader app could be your best choice. Talking by experience here!
Thanks for the advice. I already have an ipad 2. But, I also want something nice with eink.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard

Well, I think Calibre can convert PDF to epub? Never tried it... wonder if that would work to fix the problem? Anyone know?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I already have an ipad 2. But, I also want something nice with eink.
Take a look on the Sony, please ... and Kindle DXG. I think there are nice videos comparing on YouTube and showing PDFs features as well.

Good luck on your search!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote