Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Touch screen reading 101

I'm hoping someone will show a little mercy to a stodgy old fart.

You see... I hate touch screen interfaces. Yes hate. But I've also come to accept the fact that my hatred of touch screen interfaces isn't going to bring buttons back into vogue on mobile devices (much to my stodgy, old fart chagrin) anytime soon. So I'm grudgingly willing to learn, but I may need a little advice

After reading on my new Kindle Fire HD for two days, now... I still can't get a comfortable, consistent page-turning regimen going with the Kindle reading app. Swiping seems to work fairly consistently, but it's slower, and isn't conducive to one-handed reading (at least with my dexterity, it isn't). Tapping the edge of the screen seems quicker—and easier to perform one-handed—but isn't very consistent. I have to constantly move my thumb around trying to find a spot that works. And try as I might, I can't find a tap area that works every time, every tap. About 30% of the time, I only succeed in opening the reading app menu interface instead of turning the page. And it's about 50-50 that absolutely nothing happens.

Is there a secret? A sweet-spot? Do you have to hold your tongue just the right while willing the page to turn? Sacrifice my old Kindle to the touch-screen gods to show my sincerity? I just need a consistent, easy, one-handed method of turning pages that (preferably) doesn't require a body-part passing between my eyes and the words. Is it possible? This is the very-first touch-screen device I've owned—ever—if that's relevant in any way.

I really like the device, but it's got a long way to go before it "goes away" while I'm reading. And I'd really like it to "go away."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I just tap on the right edge to turn the page forward or on the left to turn a page back.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I just tap on the right edge to turn the page forward or on the left to turn a page back.
Uh... I was hoping for a bit more insight than that. That's what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Tapping the edge of the screen seems quicker—and easier to perform one-handed—but isn't very consistent. I have to constantly move my thumb around trying to find a spot that works.
But I often have to "tap the right edge" multiple times to get the page to turn. And the same spot doesn't always work. It's like a moving target.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Uh... I was hoping for a bit more insight than that. That's what I'm doing.

But I often have to "tap the right edge" multiple times to get the page to turn. And the same spot doesn't always work. It's like a moving target.
Hand temp plays a part at this. I have problems like you mention due to cold fingers. I have the KFv1 but I just tap the screen not on the edge but in right side area. It's all about how long you press and how short. It will take some practice to get it down. Use the pad of your thumb not the tip.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately the capacitive touch screens can be a bit picky. My IR touch screen on the Kindle Touch works very consistently. But the capacitive touch screens on my Fire HD and iPad 3 are inconsistent. If my hands are cold then I probably will have to touch the screen more than once. If my hands are warm then it is more consistent. I also notice that it matters as to what part of my finger touches the screen. A heavily calloused fingertip doesn't seem to work very well. Bottom line is it just takes a lot of practice and patience until your brain figures out what works best and then it eventually becomes "muscle memory."
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
You might want to invest a few bucks (some as cheap as $5) for a stylus. I find mine works better than a finger, and is very handy if you want to type something. At least on the Fire v1.

And me, I'm 85, and I love the thing, but truth be told, I'd rather have a page turn button as on my old Kindle v1.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

A stylus just to turn pages would be a deal-breaker for me. Thanks, for the tips on hot/cold/calloused, though, everybody. I'll keep trying, but dang!... do people really get used to page turns just not happening every single time? That would drive me absolutely bonkers if that's just par for the "Reading on the Fire" course.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
A stylus just to turn pages would be a deal-breaker for me. Thanks, for the tips on hot/cold/calloused, though, everybody. I'll keep trying, but dang!... do people really get used to page turns just not happening every single time? That would drive me absolutely bonkers if that's just par for the "Reading on the Fire" course.
I won't say I got used to it, or ever will. It can be frustrating. In my case most failed page turns result in the Menu being displayed, which means it takes at least three touches to get the darn page turned: First touch results in display of Menu, second touch is required to make the Menu disappear, and hopefully the third touch actually turns the page. Like I said above, this is true of all capacitive touch screens I've used so it isn't just a Kindle Fire issue. Another frustrating touch issue is that I often have to touch buttons and menu items more them once to activate them, especially on the iPad. But the conveniences brought about by capacitive touch screens far out weigh the issues. I find it much easier and quicker to highlight text, enter text via typing, zoom in on an image or page, and navigate than I do with non-touch screen devices.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
But the conveniences brought about by capacitive touch screens far out weigh the issues. I find it much easier and quicker to highlight text, enter text via typing, zoom in on an image or page, and navigate than I do with non-touch screen devices.
So if all I mainly do, is open a book and read it from beginning to end (no searching, highlighting, text entry, image zooming or navigating), do I have any conveniences to look forward to ... or just issues? It sounds like I may have made a mistake. I'll give it a few more days, though, in case I do adjust to it.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Unfortunately I doubt we will see any LCD touch screen Android or iOS devices with page turn buttons. Page turn buttons seem to be only found on eInk devices, as far as eBook readers go. I wish more of the reader apps for Android and iOS allowed you to map the Volume buttons to be Page Turn buttons. I think a few might allow that, but I doubt Amazon will ever do it.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Oh I understand there's never going to be buttons AND Touch. I don't like it... but I accept it. I'm just sad that since I have no pressing need for most of the so-called "conveniences" provided by capacitive touch-screen readers, that there's really nothing to offset the disappointment of the page-turn inconsistency. I just figured they'd've had most of these kinks worked out by now. That's why I held off on a Touch Reader for so long. Oh well. We'll see how it goes. I've gotten a little bit better at it already, but that Menu popping up (instead of the page turning) is a real frustrating immersion-interrupter for me.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
You will get more used to it and find your 'sweet spot'. As Blossom said cold fingers have a lot to do with it. Sometimes I will make a fist to warm up my fingers. My hands are usually always cold (Thyroid problems). Also use the pad of your fingers not the tips.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, it is getting a little easier for me, but it's apparent (to me anyway) that the 'swipe' is vastly more consistent than the 'tap' for turning pages. Which is unfortunate for one-handed readers. Still... I'm keeping the device.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks, it is getting a little easier for me, but it's apparent (to me anyway) that the 'swipe' is vastly more consistent than the 'tap' for turning pages. Which is unfortunate for one-handed readers. Still... I'm keeping the device.
This illustrates how different we all are. For me, tapping is much easier and consistent than swiping.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
With touch screens there may be a range between the high and low sensitivity acceptably specs for the screens. So with individual units they do not react the same with all people. So what works with/for one individual on one screen will not work the same for another?

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote