Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #1726
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well, I looked up the books a while ago, when you-all were discussing them. I wasn't particular drawn to them. But -- convince me! What are they about?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #1727
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, a possible convert!

OK, so the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin novels are set at the time of the Napoleonic Wars between England and France (with, of course, other participants.) The time of the great English square-rigged sailing ships and the very height of the English Navy. But they are FAR more than just naval books! Jack Aubrey is not only a great instinctive sailor, but also an accomplished mathematician in his own right, and Stephen Maturin, his surgeon and friend, is a great naturalist and scientist (as well as a very successful spy for the English and yet an Irish partisan.) Also, both are accomplished amateur musicians

The books are well written, the characters well developed, and while the focus is around the naval events in most cases, it's the whole fabric of the rest of the books that makes them so successful and interesting. I've read and enjoyed C.S. Forester's Hornblower books, and most of Alexander Kent's Bolitho series, and both are good. But O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is really at a different level, IMHO. We not only get a look at the history and geography of the era, but also the natural science and political landscape of not just England and Europe, but Australia and the Far East. There is even a fascinating look at the causes and consequences of the draining of the fens in rural England.

We have available two superb narrated audio versions, one by Simon Vance (issybird's favourite) and one by Patrick Tull (my favourite.) There are ebook versions of all the books as well, and both audio (the Simon Vance version) and ebook versions are available on Overdrive, so your library might well have them.

As a final bit of convincing, my DW who doesn't read this sort of thing as she would say it, was convinced to try them and was instantly hooked. We read them together as fast as Patrick O'Brian could write them. Both as DT books and as audio books, the old Books on Tape versions by Patrick Tull.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #1728
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, a possible convert!

As a final bit of convincing, my DW who doesn't read this sort of thing as she would say it, was convinced to try them and was instantly hooked. We read them together as fast as Patrick O'Brian could write them. Both as DT books and as audio books, the old Books on Tape versions by Patrick Tull.
Ahhh, now *that's* a convincing tag line! I go take another look at the ebook version, and read the sample. Oh, which one should I start with?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #1729
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first book in the series is Master and Commander. The eBook version is available pretty much everywhere, the Patrick Tull version of the audio book is available on Audible, with the Simon Vance version currently not available on Audible, but in Overdrive.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #1730
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The catch is, it's parts of several books.
Right. I forgot it was a series of books.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #1731
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The first book in the series is Master and Commander. The eBook version is available pretty much everywhere, the Patrick Tull version of the audio book is available on Audible, with the Simon Vance version currently not available on Audible, but in Overdrive.
The rights to the Simon Vance versions have been withdrawn for a minimum of seven years, so OverDrive is the only current source. But many OverDrive libraries have them, so they can be obtained.

I'll add that I never thought these were my kind of books. Elspeth and I have already had this conversation; our fathers were huge fans but they didn't appeal to us. For me, a couple of years ago, a friend who had recommended them to me more than once finally insisted that I try them. Thank you, sweetie! Because I was hooked.

Last edited by issybird; 07-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #1732
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The rights to the Simon Vance versions have been withdrawn for a minimum of seven years, so OverDrive is the only current source. But many OverDrive libraries have them, so they can be obtained.

I'll add that I never thought these were my kind of books. Elspeth and I have already had this conversation; our fathers were huge fans but they didn't appeal to us. For me, a couple of years ago, a friend who had recommended them to me more than once finally insisted that I try them. Thank you, sweetie! Because I was hooked.
Ok -- that helps too! And ebook is the format that I prefer anyway, so no problem about the audio version.

Last edited by issybird; 07-10-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Editing my own quote. :)
Old 07-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #1733
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ok -- that helps too! And ebook is the format that I prefer anyway, so no problem about the audio version.
Ah, but we know you do enjoy audio books, so I strongly suspect we'll get you listening as well before this is over. There are three versions of most of the books, and two of them are superb. Different, but both excellent. IME, the narration of these books helps improve understanding and enjoyment. Listening to a book triggers different brain centres, and the combination with visual reading works well. Besides, how else does one know that the "boatswain" is actually the "bosun".

issybird and I are going to start a bi-monthly Book Club to read these books. I'm working on an introductory message, and then we'll read and discuss them. We're thinking two months to read and discuss for each book. We'll cross-post the invitation here and in the Reading Recommendations forum, so please, join us. The more the merrier!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #1734
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Besides, how else does one know that the "boatswain" is actually the "bosun".
Boatswain I'd have gotten, but topgallant sail (t'gans'l) would have been totally beyond me!

I'll add that my first audiobook was the second book in the series and it's what hooked me on audiobooks.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #1735
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
issybird and I are going to start a bi-monthly Book Club to read these books.
I'm in! Or as Stephen might say, "I should like it of all things!"
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #1736
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Make it so, Charlie!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #1737
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Boatswain I'd have gotten, but topgallant sail (t'gans'l) would have been totally beyond me!

I'll add that my first audiobook was the second book in the series and it's what hooked me on audiobooks.
Yup. Compelling, wasn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Quote:
Make it so, Charlie!
ROFLU.

OK, OK. Just let me do some actual WORK today, please.

ETA: But only if we get a cute little O'Brian tag, Madam Moderator...

Last edited by CRussel; 07-08-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #1738
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin Book Club

OK, the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin Book Club is ready to begin. Check out the thread in the Book Club sub-forum, and jump on in to help us set things up.

The plan is one book in the series every other month, and you can read the book, listen to the book, or do both. Heck, I plan on jumping back and forth between the eBook, and the two worthy audio books, at least for this first in the series.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:26 PM   #1739
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
OK, the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin Book Club is ready to begin. Check out the thread in the Book Club sub-forum, and jump on in to help us set things up.

The plan is one book in the series every other month, and you can read the book, listen to the book, or do both. Heck, I plan on jumping back and forth between the eBook, and the two worthy audio books, at least for this first in the series.
Please, we welcome any input! This is a shared endeavor; very much the more, the merrier.

And that's my plan, too, although I suspect Simon Vance will get the bulk of my attention as I haven't heard him read M&C yet. But I want to give Patrick Tull fair consideration, too; I already own his version of the first book, but since I'd have to blow an Audible credit on subsequent ones and I already own the Vances, it would be very hard to justify.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #1740
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I'm fortunate that I have the first 8 available from my library in the Simon Vance versions. After that, I'll need to do some convincing to get the later ones added. Oh, and I already have all of the Patrick Tull versions. And all the DT versions. And all the eBook versions. I even have the cookbook! I think I'm covered.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations