Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
cotton.squirrel
cotton.squirrel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Question Migrating sideloaded content to a new Kindle?

Right now I'm using a Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen) with the latest firmware. I use Calibre to sideload books in KFX format so that I have access to all the bells and whistles that come with it (WordWise, X-ray, PageFlip, etc).

My question is: If I want to migrate my sideloaded books to a different Kindle, can I just copy all the directories (/documents, etc)? Do they contain the reading progress, notes, highlights? Or are these stored in some hidden place that isn't available on non-jailbroken device.

(I used to be able to migrate my books from one Kobo to another, with some small changes to the SQLite database. Is that the case with Kindle?)

Thanks!
cotton.squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Reading progress, notes, and highlights are stored in the <bookname>.sdr directory for the book which is also under /documents.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Folder for sideloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Reading progress, notes, and highlights are stored in the <bookname>.sdr directory for the book which is also under /documents.
Related to this: where do I drop sideloadaed content, and in which format, to Kindle Scribe? (I have a massive book, larger than 50MB emailing limit.) I tried EPUB and MOBI to /documents, but neither the library screen nor search did not show them.

Thanks!
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi View Post
Related to this: where do I drop sideloadaed content, and in which format, to Kindle Scribe? (I have a massive book, larger than 50MB emailing limit.) I tried EPUB and MOBI to /documents, but neither the library screen nor search did not show them.

Thanks!
You cannot side load ePub (or at least those will be ignored).

Try the Web version of Send to Kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle

Limit there is 200 MB.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:58 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Thanks!
Convert it to azw3 using Calibre and copy by USB. Put it in a folder in / named after the author.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:04 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Related to this: where do I drop sideloadaed content, and in which format, to Kindle Scribe?
If you want to use the handwritten annotations available on the Scribe then the books need to be in KFX format. The easiest way to get your books into that format on a Scribe is to use the send-to-kindle website.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote