Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Newegg seems to have embraced selling ebook readers

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...E-Book-Readers

I was just there and was surprised to see how many devices they have. Outside of Amazon and, well, eBay (but as a rule readers cost WTFM there) but Newegg might have the largest selection in one place. Hopefully they will grow their selection, which I feel we consumers need btw...one place to see them all.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
NewEgg is a solid EMerchant. One advantage over Amazon is that Newegg accepts Paypal while Amazon does not. The downside of Newegg is that their shipping is not quite as fast as Amazon, but I have noticed that Newegg's shipping speed has improved over the last year.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've ordered plenty of stuff from Newegg and have found there shipping to be very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I agree, New Egg is solid.

I was surprised to see them offering the Pocket Pro since RobertB said no retailers would be getting it and it would only be available through Astak's site.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I agree, New Egg is solid.

I was surprised to see them offering the Pocket Pro since RobertB said no retailers would be getting it and it would only be available through Astak's site.
Yup...been buying hardware from Newegg for YEARS w/o a single issue. I even bought a camera lens from a buddy that he bought from Newegg and it developed a problem during their 1-yr exchange period and the honored it without any problem. Super service. For me, as they are in CA, the only down side is sales tax, which is near 10% in many parts of CA now...but, eh, for the service I can often live with that fact of life.

And you caught the Pocket Pro on sale there as well, huh? Yup, old BobbieB was adamant that it would not be at Fry's and seemed to imply at any retail source period. I wonder why we don't see the color readers....hmmmmm? hehehehe....

Still, I feel Newegg is a nice one-stop source, or should I say I hope they are...they will be far better to deal with than dealing directly with the re-branded distributors...plus there will be more valid feedback from folks who have no preconceived position even in the face of major flaws or inaccurate information passed to them by the brand's representative.
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
He did say that, but it was always in order to get close to the $200 price point and it is now clear that retailers really want to sell EInk readers, see Pocket Pro Question. I think the days of single-site sales are probably over for ebook readers in the US (the Kindle excepted), and this is a good thing for sales volume. My prediction: shortages this Christmas season across the board.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
He did say that, but it was always in order to get close to the $200 price point and it is now clear that retailers really want to sell EInk readers, see Pocket Pro Question. I think the days of single-site sales are probably over for ebook readers in the US (the Kindle excepted), and this is a good thing for sales volume. My prediction: shortages this Christmas season across the board.
I think it's good that New Egg and Books On Board are selling it. I was just surprised after his earlier comments, that's all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Something that smaller companies like Astak often overlook is using Amazon's Order Fulfillment service. I have several business buddies who use them and are selling near $1M/yr in product each all as a single person business...and they love the service considering the overhead it saves them.

Actually about the price point it was NOT to get to the $200 level, rather it was stated it was IMPOSSIBLE for Astak to sell them even directly at that price and make a profit...it all centered around the price Fry's was selling the EZReader Pro for on sale...it was claimed to be less than cost...and then the debate began. My point is NOT to re-start that, but rather point out the price is indeed possible but how long will retailers be happy if Astak is undercutting them, especially among the early adopter sorts who do not mind a higher price to be the among the first users.

One thing I will say, it is interesting seeing all the static prices around the various online sellers, for a wide number of devices. It smells of something rather stinky...and will be interesting what shakes out since the new law about "minimum advertised price" requirements from mfg's/distributors and making such agreements no different from a price fixing scheme. The Maryland law applies even to out of state residents who sell to Maryland residents in-state. Still has a long way to go to see what happens, but MAPA's do smack of collusion but it's legal because apparently these agreements exploit a gap in those laws...time will tell but I like that Maryland said such MAPA's are anti-competitive and anti-consumer. It gets really complicated and makes my right eye twitch after reading up on it all...but in the end we consumers are more than likely gonna lose and our tax money will just be wasted...ok, enough of that rant...hahahaha...