Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
PDF MetaData editor

Hi Folks,
Came across a PDF MetaData editor I thought some members might find useful.

There are a good amount of PDF files out there that do not properly fill the metadata of the PDF documents. For the SONY reader this can get annoying real fast as it is difficult to sort through PDF fiels who all have the undefined tag for the "Title" and "Author".

Well I spent some time looking for a free tool that allows me to add the author and Title of a book. I found this tool here it's called ByCePDFMetaEdit
Direct download

Enjoy
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 06-23-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Fixed broken links
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
krtekz
krtekz began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, axim x30
Thanks for the info!
krtekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
gingerninja
gingerninja began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505A
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Folks,
Came across a PDF MetaData editor I thought some members might find useful.

There are a good amount of PDF files out there that do not properly fill the metadata of the PDF documents. For the SONY reader this can get annoying real fast as it is difficult to sort through PDF fiels who all have the undefined tag for the "Title" and "Author".

Well I spent some time looking for a free tool that allows me to add the author and Title of a book. I found this tool here it's called ByCePDFMetaEdit
Direct download

Enjoy
=X=
For the record, I've just been to hell and back and others experiencing similar issues might want to take note (similar being frequent (very) when viewing PDF files). I toyed with this for hours cursing Calibre and doing hard resets until I eventully found a pattern. Files that had been edited with the above tool. It seems through a large number of samples that any PDF files I have will view perfectly on the device before editing with this tool and then after will crash randomly after a few pages. It's a shame really as this looked like a great tool. Any troubleshooting tips? At the moment I'm going with the 'buy Acrobat Pro' option...
gingerninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
For the record, I've just been to hell and back and others experiencing similar issues might want to take note (similar being frequent (very) when viewing PDF files). I toyed with this for hours cursing Calibre and doing hard resets until I eventully found a pattern. Files that had been edited with the above tool. It seems through a large number of samples that any PDF files I have will view perfectly on the device before editing with this tool and then after will crash randomly after a few pages. It's a shame really as this looked like a great tool. Any troubleshooting tips? At the moment I'm going with the 'buy Acrobat Pro' option...
I use this tool for almost all my PDF's. Even more so now with after running a PDF through soPDF (since this tool strips off Bookmarks). I've yet to come across 1 single instance where this tool has caused a problem.

Many people including myself have commented on how the 505 seems to have become more unstable after the Firmware patch.

It sounds like you've found some pattern, are you completely sure it's this tool that is causing the problem. This tool only modifying the Meta data of the PDF. I don't see how this could cause instability in the PRS-505.

=X=
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
gingerninja
gingerninja began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505A
Lightbulb Further refined

I've further refined the problem - most PDF metadata editors cause chaos on a good portion of my files when they are v1.6. If I have Acrobat Pro downgrade the PDF to v1.4 (simple old format whcih removes more complex compression, but can be made ebook size friendly with a simple profile to do downsampling) than any PDF metadata tool (such as this one here) can edit it and the e-Reader no longer crashes. Interestingly, having a v1.6 PDF and not editing the metadata seems fine also. So, it looks like v1.4 is a little more stable on the reader or these tools are mangling something in the file - time for some file poking...
gingerninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard

That is good to know thank you for sharing

=X=
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
sebastienbillard
Connoisseur
sebastienbillard is on a distinguished road

Device: none
First link is dead, here is the link to the source : http://www.becyhome.de/download_ger.htm#becypdfmetaedit

Any other in english or french though ? (this one is in german)
sebastienbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Thanks very much for this very useful tool. Now I can edit the metadata from some manuals that came with Apple development tools to organize they better on my Kindle.
Example of Title metadata of a manual about HyperCard of Apple: 0340617AHYPERCARDI, this occurs because the Apple server generates the file to be indexed and organized, but if you want to put it in your Kindle, it's all what you don't want

But I think this need to be a stick in the PDF forum.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
Just fyi ByCePDFMetaEdit runs under wine 1.2 on ubuntu
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Valwit
Enthusiast
Valwit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Inkpad3Pro
unfortunatley it lacks utf support. non ascii characters produce garbage.
Valwit is offline   Reply With Quote