Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #121
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Hang around a while longer... this is quite civilised compared to some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
LOL. Wow. Not sure if I've ever seen anything like this.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #122
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
If you are willing to pay the price at the Sony store they have them in stock. Though I don't know about getting them in Canada????
They aren't sold in Canada because Sony wasn't able to make a deal with any of our greedy, intransigent wireless carriers.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #123
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
horrible evil company.

bought that awful, infamous reader, their first touch screen. of course it was unreadable.

returned it promptly. never refunded my money (we're talking 400-500 bucks) until i called a month later and i'm not sure if they ever did refund the extended warranty money. would've never refunded my card if i hadn't called despite doing everything right to return it.

they deserve to go out of business. yet i still buy their products. voice recorder not too long ago.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #124
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolof View Post
horrible evil company.

bought that awful, infamous reader, their first touch screen. of course it was unreadable.

returned it promptly. never refunded my money (we're talking 400-500 bucks) until i called a month later and i'm not sure if they ever did refund the extended warranty money. would've never refunded my card if i hadn't called despite doing everything right to return it.

they deserve to go out of business. yet i still buy their products. voice recorder not too long ago.
HAHA, their second wasn't much better. The PRS 600's readability was almost unacceptable in some cases.

I am very happy about the PRS 950 I got. Though I had to drive from the GTA to Amherst NY USA BestBuy to get it. It's worth the effort.

The readability is even better than the PRS 505 and the touch screen makes it much more convenient and opens the door to other applications such as handwritten notes.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #125
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Sony has divested itself of its retail channels in the US.
Sony has divested itself of alot of its accessories:

The limited edition covers, (fair enough they were limited)
650 Premium
650 light
950 premium
950 light
Several of the colors of the ones they have in stock hasn't been replenished for a long while.

Stuff that went out of stock in january as you yourself has remarked, hasn't returned, being indicative that they aren't replenishing their stock and divesting themselves of the accessories permanently.

Besides that Sony has cut down marketing to simple press releases. Considering that marketing was one of the keystones in Sony's comeback campaign to combat the Kindle, that's pretty interesting.

If that's is the signs of a healthy product line, enjoy it on the Titanic.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #126
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
I think this horse (thread) died a horrible death 10 or so posts ago.

Perhaps time to let it rest in peace?

How about we think about fluffy kittens for a while
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #127
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Did you know that a group of kittens is called a Kindle?

I didn't
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 AM   #128
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
As has been noted this thread is getting very long!

I have been reading the comments and I get the feeling you are trying to talk Sony out of the market.

Obviously I cannot speak for the US but Sony appear to have got over their supply problems here in the UK. I know that they seem to have upset the resellers such as Waterstones and PC World but the Sony stores have stock all the time.
650 and 350 available in all colours from Sony store, 300, 350, 505 and 600 all available through Amazon UK, and a quick Google shows the 650 is available from at least another 10 on-line stores.

Personally I think we should all just wait and see what transpires. There is no point worrying about something that may or may not happen, and to be honest there is nothing we can do about it anyway.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #129
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
LOL. Wow. Not sure if I've ever seen anything like this.
Hang around a while longer... this is quite civilised compared to some...
Indeed, though getting made fun of for posting lots of links after someone asked you to... well, that strikes me as slightly uncivil. Zing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Personally I think we should all just wait and see what transpires. There is no point worrying about something that may or may not happen, and to be honest there is nothing we can do about it anyway.
Which is really the only answer. The Internet being what is it, and Sony being who they are, well... here we are!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #130
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
This thread may not be a dead horse yet! Both the nook STR and the Kobo Touch are now out... Let the games begin...

My first take is that the new devices, other than price, do not beat The Sony readers on features, except on the lack of wifi on the 350 and 650.

Now, what would be nice to see:

1. 350 and 650 with wifi at a comparable price tag. Say $125 & $150 respectively
2. The 950 at the same price as the Kindle 3G
3. Sony... Get the Freaking Apple apps. out NOW!!!!!!!

What do you think Sony's response should be?
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I honestly don't see the Reader line as being strategically important to Sony. They are too big a company with their finger in too many pies. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them pull out of the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #132
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanopr View Post
This thread may not be a dead horse yet! Both the nook STR and the Kobo Touch are now out... Let the games begin...

My first take is that the new devices, other than price, do not beat The Sony readers on features, except on the lack of wifi on the 350 and 650.

Now, what would be nice to see:

1. 350 and 650 with wifi at a comparable price tag. Say $125 & $150 respectively
2. The 950 at the same price as the Kindle 3G
3. Sony... Get the Freaking Apple apps. out NOW!!!!!!!

What do you think Sony's response should be?
I agree with #1 and #2. My only thought is that wifi is not imperative, price is the real key here. Of course, I would always tether regardless, so I'm not an expert on whether wifi is a killer feature.

Apple rejected the Sony App because they didn't sell books through Apple's approved "give us some of the money too" method. The TOS changed a few days ago, but I'm not sure if that had any affect on the potential Sony Reader App.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #133
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Are you guys hot for wifi specifically to buy books (like the 950), or for web surfing?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #134
jswinden
Nameless Being

I might be the exception, but I think WiFi is imperative for readers that offer syncing of farthest page read, bookmarks, highlighting, etc. I don't think it is really much good to have an eInk web browser, but purchasing or downloading sample books via WiFi is also a plus. But mostly I want WiFi for syncing.

And speaking of syncing, the Sony readers do a really lousy job of this, especially as the non-WiFi/3G readers must use the Sony Reader Library app or third-party apps to sync. I want to be able to put down one reader and pick up another and immediately have my farthest page read, bookmarks, highlighting, annotations, etc. synced without having to find a USB cable and a PC. On iOS devices only iBooks does an outstanding job of syncing, even sideloaded books, but unfortunately there is no cross-platform syncing. Amazon's Whispernet does an outstanding job of syncing books purchased through Amazon and syncs across multiple platforms including PC/Mac, Kindle, Android, iOS, BlackBerry, etc., but it is for Amazon Kindle books only.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #135
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
Other than the normally expected "buy from the device" option, there are two nice things I like about wifi:

1. Being able to search items in wikipedia or google like you can do on the 950. I find it very useful when you want or need additional info on places and historical figures, industry specific terms, etc.)
2. Syncing among platforms.

Along the way... they can add MOBI support (to attract the non-epub market), B&N ePub support. They could also promote a permanent 10% discount on Reader Store purchases for Sony device owners.

I tell you... Sony is not leading the market because they do not want to. They have all the tools to become a major player.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote