Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #721
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You need Android and blue-tooth for that. Get an Onyx (though it's currently only 9.7").
Not necessarily, the Kobo and Kindle devices run Linux and you can use an external keyboard with them (albeit with a bit of hacking). I assume the Sony would require a hack to use an external keyboard as well.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #722
bushiba
bushiba began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I wonder if the Japanese version can update the English Rom ?
bushiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #723
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
You need Android and blue-tooth for that. Get an Onyx (though it's currently only 9.7").
Yes, the ONYX was my fall back in this case, though I'm still wondering how effectively "turnkey" it will be, given that it'll be for my wife.

No stranger to linux, but Android isn't what I'm used to at this point (would be nice if the ONYX just booted to ARM-Debian or such.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #724
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
would be nice if the ONYX just booted to ARM-Debian or such.
It's not official but there is this : Obuntu M92 preview images by Seaniko7.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #725
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
It's not official but there is this : Obuntu M92 preview images by Seaniko7.
Thanks, sorry for diverting the topic of discussion here. Almost had an ONYX M92 last night on eBay, alas, I didn't have enough for the winning bid Immaculate/new condition too.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #726
snoozer2
snoozer2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all, new to the forum.

I tried to buy one of these through Worldox, but was refused since I wasn't american (live in australia). Tried to get one through a USA buying company, but was told by worldox no "you aren't a lawyer". Just found the other reseller, but they only sell to to film and tv people (and they say they will check you out- maybe I could say I am a doctor, but want to be a doctor on the tv!))

Apparently the need to read hundreds of pdfs, and the willingness to pay outrageous prices isn't enough.....

Anyway, whinge regarding first world problems over.

My questions are:

1/If you have one of these as a Japanese import, how hard is it to use, navigate through the menu, change pdfs etc

2/Has anyone successfully managed, or is it possible to flash the us updated firmware onto it, and make it in english??

Cheers
snoozer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #727
rainrdx
Connoisseur
rainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozer2 View Post
Hi all, new to the forum.

I tried to buy one of these through Worldox, but was refused since I wasn't american (live in australia). Tried to get one through a USA buying company, but was told by worldox no "you aren't a lawyer". Just found the other reseller, but they only sell to to film and tv people (and they say they will check you out- maybe I could say I am a doctor, but want to be a doctor on the tv!))

Apparently the need to read hundreds of pdfs, and the willingness to pay outrageous prices isn't enough.....

Anyway, whinge regarding first world problems over.

My questions are:

1/If you have one of these as a Japanese import, how hard is it to use, navigate through the menu, change pdfs etc

2/Has anyone successfully managed, or is it possible to flash the us updated firmware onto it, and make it in english??

Cheers
The Japanese import is fairly easy to navigate. I don't read Japanese (at all) but have no problem using it.

I haven't tried to flash the US firmware though.
rainrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 AM   #728
snoozer2
snoozer2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrdx View Post
The Japanese import is fairly easy to navigate. I don't read Japanese (at all) but have no problem using it.

I haven't tried to flash the US firmware though.
Thanks rainrdx for the reply.
snoozer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #729
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
I just got my unit and I can't figure out how to sync files with annotations. Can anyone give me guidance?
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #730
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Hoping sooner or later someone is going to say "Yep, you can use an external keyboard & mouse and use it like a typewriter"
Hoping sooner or later someone is going to tell us that it can be rooted and modified at will... As long as it's not at least as open (officially or inofficially) as the Onyx devices, I won't take the risk of being stuck with $1000 of dysfunctional software...
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #731
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Hoping sooner or later someone is going to tell us that it can be rooted and modified at will... As long as it's not at least as open (officially or inofficially) as the Onyx devices, I won't take the risk of being stuck with $1000 of dysfunctional software...
It would be nice if they were as open as the Onyx units, though in this case, I'm just desparate enough to be accepting of just being able to use it as a word processor with the external keyboard/mouse
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #732
rainrdx
Connoisseur
rainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy bluerainrdx can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I just got my unit and I can't figure out how to sync files with annotations. Can anyone give me guidance?
I'm not sure what you meant by "sync files with annotations." Annotations are written directly to those PDF files though.
rainrdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #733
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Not necessarily, the Kobo and Kindle devices run Linux and you can use an external keyboard with them (albeit with a bit of hacking).
Is that so? Links/s pls.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #734
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrdx View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by "sync files with annotations." Annotations are written directly to those PDF files though.
Right now I can plug my unit into my PC and it is recognized as a drive. I've copied files onto it. I can annotate them. But they only exist on the device (virtual drive). I'd like to have that syncronize in some way with those files on my PC. There is a feature called "network drive" and "file syncing" on the device...but I have been unable to get it to work.

Any advice would be helpful.

I've gotten to the point where the device tells me that there's a problem with my site's security certificate (not a warning, a refusal to connect).

Last edited by rheostaticsfan; 06-16-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: additional information
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #735
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Is that so? Links/s pls.
Kindle. It's only for the Kindle 4 though.

Kobo. This one works on the Kobo Glo and Mini. It should be possible on the other recent Kobo devices as well.

The major problem with both the Kindle's and Kobo's USB keyboard hack is that it's not easy to set up and actually use.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote