Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Couple of 2.1.5 firmware ?s - Battery Icon, Processing Content and Font

Hi!

I'm still trying to adapt to the new firmware - as fast as a turtle - I have a couple of questions about it.

1) When I plug it in to charge - the "Connected and Charging" screen, no battery icon appears. Is that normal?

2) The "Document Default" font has changed - I don't like it - does anyone know what the previous "Document Default" font was in 9.17?

Sorry to ask questions!

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 10-31-2012 at 03:45 PM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
"Document Default" font should change from book to book; it's the font the publisher has hardcoded into the ebook (if any).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm.. The books I was using it with before my forced upgrade didn't have a default font, so it was the same font each time. With the newer firmware, with the same books it's a more rounded font, the previous one was more "upright" for lack of a better word.

Does any of what I typed make sense?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Oh, I see. Kobo fell back on some other font when there was no actual default font. Hmm. Yes, they did change a lot of the internal fonts recently. My vague recollection was that the fallback default font used to be plain old Times New Roman, which should be on your computer, and so you should be able to add it into your Kobo (drag the .ttf files for it into a folder named \fonts -- creating that folder if it doesn't already exist).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Oh, I see. Kobo fell back on some other font when there was no actual default font. Hmm. Yes, they did change a lot of the internal fonts recently. My vague recollection was that the fallback default font used to be plain old Times New Roman, which should be on your computer, and so you should be able to add it into your Kobo (drag the .ttf files for it into a folder named \fonts -- creating that folder if it doesn't already exist).
I kind of liked the Rockwell font. The one I had to install is not the same as the one that was there before. So, I find the the Kobo Developed font lacking in someways. Can not really say what it is I find so annoying about it except it feels and looks wrong.

Any way thats just my 2cents on the fonts.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
VirgoGirl

I still have the Rockwell font, which *does* look different form the one available for download. Weird. I have New Times Roman on the reader, but it's not that font, or at least didn't look like the same font.

I found a font called "Crimson", which is used in some Amazon books as the default font. It's not bad, just not the same.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
VirgoGirl

Another question I have: does the firmware now *always* go through the "processing content" screen when you disconnect from "Connected and Charging"? I've gotten that when I detached from the wall charger and from when I disconnected it form my laptop without making any changes.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Another question I have: does the firmware now *always* go through the "processing content" screen when you disconnect from "Connected and Charging"? I've gotten that when I detached from the wall charger and from when I disconnected it form my laptop without making any changes.

I have seen that on my Mothers KT and its strange. Also Found some problems reading books on the SD card. So I am moving them to the main memory.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I wonder if you might have some files that the device does not recognize and is attempting to rescan each time to add to the database?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if you might have some files that the device does not recognize and is attempting to rescan each time to add to the database?
Hmm.. That's an interesting question. I added 135 books today, maybe some of them are messed up.

Edit: I just turned it on from "Powered Off" and it didn't go through the scan. If there were some books that didn't get processed correctly wouldn't they try to scan when the KT is powered on?

No one else has the "processing content" screen when they eject or remove from the wall? I really hate this.

I'm going with my husband's attitude: Can I read the ebooks? Yes. Anything else is gravy.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 10-31-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Edit: I just turned it on from "Powered Off" and it didn't go through the scan. If there were some books that didn't get processed correctly wouldn't they try to scan when the KT is powered on?
I don't think it would. I think the software logic would only cause it to look for new content AFTER it had been connected to a source to possibly could add new content (i.e. connected to computer or SD card inserted).

Quote:
No one else has the "processing content" screen when they eject or remove from the wall? I really hate this.
What are you using to connect to the wall? This sounds like it thinks you are getting a data connection. It SHOULD process on eject, but if you are connecting to wall with a phone charger or a USB power only cable I don't think it should. A USB data cable to an adapter on the other hand - maybe??
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't think it would. I think the software logic would only cause it to look for new content AFTER it had been connected to a source to possibly could add new content (i.e. connected to computer or SD card inserted).
I remember that when I had a problem processing data in .16 and .17, when the KT was powered on it would go through the processing page until it could "digest" whatever it was trying to process. I thought maybe this was the same.

I checked the number of epubs on the sd card against the number of books the reader displays as being there minus the Kpubs on the reader, and they balance out at 525 epubs. I deleted the "Reading On" and "Welcome to Kobo" kpubs off the reader, maybe it's looking for those when I remove the reader.

I don't remember if it's been doing this since I reformatted the KT and started adding books, or if this is a new problem that has started in the past few days.

I removed the books that I put on the reader today, not only did that not change anything, but they were still registered as being on the reader, with no covers. If I clicked on the cover, it said it was locked by DRM (which it wasn't). I finally added them all back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
What are you using to connect to the wall? This sounds like it thinks you are getting a data connection. It SHOULD process on eject, but if you are connecting to wall with a phone charger or a USB power only cable I don't think it should. A USB data cable to an adapter on the other hand - maybe??
I'm using a USB wall charger to charge the KT. It's one of those adapters that you plug your USB cord into, then plug the plug into the wall outlet. I've used it for the KT since I got it last August and never had an issue.

I just assumed that it was the way it "woke up" form being connected, but then I charged it from the "Continue" screen (when you plug it in and it asks you "continue" or "connect" and you choose "continue" so you can read and charge), unplugged it and it went into the "processing content" screen.

I am really really fed up with the problems I'm having with this firmware. It's the firmware because I never had these problems on .17 - I had other issues, mind you, but not this flakiness. While it's nice to hear that some of what I'm experiencing is not just me - covers coming and going, "Read On" and "Welcome to Kobo" suddenly back on front page and marked as not finished when they were, even this "processing content" problem - it's not happening to more than a few of us so I doubt that it will be addressed.

I really wish I could go back to .17, even losing my 4 pages of shelves it took me 4 days to create. While I know that I can read the books, which really *is* all that matters, these problems sucked the joy I had from the Kobo. Now I picked it up like a live grenade, hoping that nothing will cause it to "explode".
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
...I really wish I could go back to .17, even losing my 4 pages of shelves it took me 4 days to create. While I know that I can read the books, which really *is* all that matters, these problems sucked the joy I had from the Kobo. Now I picked it up like a live grenade, hoping that nothing will cause it to "explode".
Unless you are syncing kepubs with the Kobo Desktop App... you can go back to .17. If you need to sync, well...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
VirgoGirl

I've heard that it's possible, and I have the .17 firmware .zip file, but I have no idea how to actually do it, step by step.

I don't buy any Kobo books, and I turned off Reading Life as I have "won" all the awards I'm going to get and it never keeps track of all the books I have read (over 500 but RL say 16 ), so syncing is not something I do unless I must reformat.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I will try to describe the steps.

1. Do a factory reset.

2. (Shut down the kobo desktop application in case it is running.) Connect the KT to the computer

3. Next comes the activation. There are 2 alternative ways of doing it without allowing the KT to update to most recent version:
3.1. first alternative:
3.1.1. open the file KoboReader.sqlite in directory "\.kobo" of the KT with the SQLite Database Browser (link). Select the tab "Execute SQL", copy into the text field with the title "SQL string:" the following line
Code:
insert into USER values("foo", "foo", "foo", "foo", "foo");
(source: http://ccoffing.net/tech/embedded/kobo/)

Press the button "Execute query". If you did it right, the database engine will answer with "no error". Save and exit.
If you use another database editor you will surly know or find out how to achieve the same result.
---
3.2. second alternative (if you don't like dealing with the database); I never did it this way, but I am rather confident it works
3.2.1. activate the KT with the kobo desktop application, but don't eject the KT
3.2.2. delete the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum", and the folder"upgrade" from the KT's ".kobo\" folder. (Actually, this point is redundant, since we are going to overwrite those things in the next step anyway. But I feel the procedure becomes more transparent in this way.) If there is a subfolder "dict" you can delete this folder too, since 1.9.17 does not use it.
---
4. Preparing the update
4.1. Extract the content of "kobo3-update-1.9.17.zip". You will get the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum", and the folder "upgrade"
4.2. Copy this three items to the KT's ".kobo\" folder.

5. Eject the KT, remove it from the computer, and hope that everything goes fine!

This description is correct (in terms of content, not English grammar) to the best of my knowledge. If I did some mistake, the worst thing that can happen is, that you have to reset the KT anew.

Last edited by tshering; 11-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote