Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #61
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
@andyh2000: Can you please make screenshots on your JBC. Maybe we can deduce the resolution from them. Here are mine on PB912:
I'm not sure what you're trying to show here. Screenshots taken on a device don't necessarily represent what you see on the screen, and your scan on the smallest zoom shows that lower case letters get about 4 pixels in height which I don't think is enough to comfortably read.

The jetBook Color has a resolution of 1200x1600 when displaying pure black text on a pure white background. I fiddled with the styles in the epub and managed to display the whole of the first chapter on one page - see the photos below. What it proves though I don't know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	full-full.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	994.9 KB
ID:	82171

Name:	full-extract.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	82172

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #62
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to show here.
It was an answer to your complaint about the bad picture quality in my previous post.

So there is no possiblity to make screenshots on JBC?

Last edited by Backi; 02-05-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #63
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was an answer to your complaint about the bad picture quality in my previous post.

So there is no possiblity to make screenshots on JBC?
Yes, but what are you trying to prove or find out (if anything)?

No, I can't see a way of making a screenshot on the jetBook Color, but if you could I assume it would come out as a razor sharp 1200x1600 bitmap. And then what?

Andrew
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #64
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Could you guys please highlight text on this file (any other kind of annotations are welcome), export the file with annotations to PC and could you please upload the file here so we can all have an idea of what we can expect to see on PC after we worked with the device?

thanks a lot
PF

PS: The file can be any other file that is easier to find for you
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #65
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Yes, but what are you trying to prove or find out (if anything)?
We must ask ST-One what he intended with his request: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=40

Quote:
No, I can't see a way of making a screenshot on the jetBook Color, but if you could I assume it would come out as a razor sharp 1200x1600 bitmap. And then what?
Andrew
I just wanted to see a JBC screenshot with my own eyes.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #66
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
We must ask ST-One what he intended with his request: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=40

To see how my preferred font and font-size look on the jetbook (it looks great on the PRS-950 and a little fuzzy on the NookTouch).
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #67
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Could you guys please highlight text on this file (any other kind of annotations are welcome), export the file with annotations to PC and could you please upload the file here so we can all have an idea of what we can expect to see on PC after we worked with the device?

thanks a lot
PF

PS: The file can be any other file that is easier to find for you
I don't think you can annotate a file at the moment in any way at all. When you highlight text and add it to the summary it gets stored in a separate plain text file.

Unless Ectaco add some functionality soon they better change their advertising blurb.

Andrew
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #68
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

I guess it is all about resolution here.
I have problems to understand how the color subpixels layer becomes transparent when the device shows B&W images. If that is possible I am OK with it. Colour for me for such a device is a bonus as long as B&W resolution is good enough to read PDFs and the annotating works as expected (I can highlight and export with freehand drawing on PDF as bonus feature). BTW ...is this freehand drawing there? I remember I saw that in a video but nobody here has shown some PDFs with that ....

Quote:
I don't think you can annotate a file at the moment in any way at all. When you highlight text and add it to the summary it gets stored in a separate plain text file.

Unless Ectaco add some functionality soon they better change their advertising blurb.

Andrew
LuBiB says something else. According to him something gets saved in a txt file and something in the original (?) pdf.
Now ...this is somehow confusing and this is why I am asking for a sample file
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=36

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #69
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
I guess it is all about resolution here.
I have problems to understand how the color subpixels layer becomes transparent when the device shows B&W images. If that is possible I am OK with it. Colour for me for such a device is a bonus as long as B&W resolution is good enough to read PDFs and the annotating works as expected (I can highlight and export with freehand drawing on PDF as bonus feature). BTW ...is this freehand drawing there? I remember I saw that in a video but nobody here has shown some PDFs with that ....
Nope, no annotation or drawing of any kind at the moment. The box came with a sticker on telling you to update on 1st March and 1st April so maybe we'll get something then. It hasn't even got a web browser or any other wifi capability.

The colour filter layer doesn't become transparent - you'll notice in my close up pictures a regular grid pattern in the 'white' areas. That's the colour filters.

Quote:
LuBiB says something else. According to him something gets saved in a txt file and something in the original (?) pdf.
You'll have to ask him about that - I think it's just stored in a text file.

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-05-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #70
PF4Mobile
Guru

well ...too many "not this, nor that" for a 500$. I think I am going to buy M92 and spend another 500$ when the colour eInk gets a decent OS. So far you seem to be in the same position as the M90 users... that was having an excellent piece of hardware but with a poor software feature set...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #71
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
well ...too many "not this, nor that" for a 500$. I think I am going to buy M92 and spend another 500$ when the colour eInk gets a decent OS. So far you seem to be in the same position as the M90 users... that was having an excellent piece of hardware but with a poor software feature set...
Excuse me - the M90 was a hardware nightmare.
And where is "the decent OS" on the M92?
So the Ectaco is a flop as well: waiting, waiting ...
someday it will happen.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #72
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
someday it will happen.
OK OK I take that back, totally forgot about the IR problems although I believe it was the software not the hardware in that case. I do not think that the IR sensor was build specifically for M90 ...that must have been used somewhere else ...

to please you I could say that for now M92 has better software features than JBC from PDF reading perspective ..does that sound right? :-)

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #73
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
someday it will happen.
I personally believe that it's better to introduce a product to market first and then work out the kinks rather than waiting and waiting and waiting (...energizer bunny...) for the perfect version.

The jetBook Color is not a perfect device, but it is perfect for me and my grad school papers.

I would walk to class with about 50 pages of new PDF's every class - not to mention printing costs and ink and etc.

This is a solution for me and i'm sure i'm not the only one out there that needs something like this - so it all depends on what you plan on using it for.

And a BIG THANKS to andyh2000, you've been an awesome help with describing the jetBook Color
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #74
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^^^ and to add to the above and reiterate what andy stated, they are coming out with updates on 3/1 and 4/1 so it should be interesting to see what they'll include and work out.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #75
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnSaeed View Post
Does it have Arabic Text support ?
Yes, i'll see if i can find some documents to post up for you. The closest one i have right now (in terms of characters) is my friend's Japanese textbook she sent here:

Name:	japanese text.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	82176

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review