Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Where can I buy a cover for an iRiver Story?

OK: update.

I've finally got a cover for my Story (huzzah!!!). I went with an iRiver one, rather than those made-for-Kindle-but-almost-fit-the-iRiver ones on ebay, even though the iRiver ones are waaayy overpriced (not particularly surprising, since the Story is as well).

I'm really happy with the cover.

It has a spine that clips onto the little indentations at top and bottom left corners of the Story's case. It's like reading a book now, though the front cover easily doubles back behind the device without breaking - I can still hold it in one hand if I want - and there's a cushioned pad on the inside of the front cover to protect the screen.

The ads from iRiver call it "leather", but don't you believe it. It's some kind of vinyl faux-leather, like naugahyde, with leather(-ish) grain stamped in it. Still, it doesn't feel clammy like a lot of vinyls do, and the "white" one (it's really "bone", I guess) matches the colour of the Story's case.

For fellow Aussies, you can get them through ryda.com.au. You can buy online, they have both the black and the white ones still in stock, and they're thirty dollars cheaper than the same thing at Hardly Normal.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 09-10-2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Got a cover. I'm a happy camper. ;-)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Good tip, Bran. Here in Sweden it's available from the agents, Canman (canman.se) for 300 SEK. Just ordered mine.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope you enjoy it, James.

Out of curiosity, do you folk have the option of the chocolate brown one? That would have been my preference, but the sales manager of the Australian distributor decided not to bring them here. I was happy to get a bone one, since they're now out of stock in Australia and the only ones they'll be getting from now on is the black.

But I am quite happy with it as a cover. Tell us what you think when yours comes, yeah?

(Just checked, and 300 Kronor is about 45 Australian dollars at the moment. The main distributor here was selling the covers for around $60, so finding a shop that had it for $32 was a real bargain!)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
melmike
melmike began at the beginning.

Device: I River Story
I have an Medge cover (latitude jacket) I'm really happy with. It's not elegant by any stretch but it protects the unit which sits under four secure tabs on each corner. I can also fold it back completely. It has a zip pocket on the outside where I can store the usb for travel.
Bought it online
http://www.ereadersrus.com.au/catego...product-group/
melmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
melmike
melmike began at the beginning.

Device: I River Story
Oh, it was $40 AUD plus postage
melmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser

I'm laughing at myself. I'm such a creature of habit!

With its new cover on, my Story now feels so much more like a real book that, rather than push the button to display the next screen of text, I repeatedly find myself absent-mindedly reaching for the physical bottom corner of the device, ready to flip it over to the next page! ;-)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmike View Post
I have an Medge cover (latitude jacket) I'm really happy with. It's not elegant by any stretch but it protects the unit which sits under four secure tabs on each corner. I can also fold it back completely. It has a zip pocket on the outside where I can store the usb for travel.
Bought it online
http://www.ereadersrus.com.au/catego...product-group/
Hmm, interesting website - those covers look pretty cool. Thanks for the heads-up, melmike!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bran, the brown one was not an option. It was bone, or ivory, if you prefer, or nothing. I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
But I am quite happy with it as a cover. Tell us what you think when yours comes, yeah?
Hm! Well it arrived today, and my first impression was tacky. Lot of money for tack. Would have been OK at half the price.

Has anyone else received their's in a plastic zippy bag which has a special hole for the elastic thread on the back of the real cover that one is supposed to hold the whole thing by? This zippy bag slipped over the cover and had the zip on what would be the back of the cover. There was a note that the cover could double as a memory story, and I'm wondering whether the whole of this zippy bag is intended for extra memory. Seems a lot of room, and not a very organised way to store extra memory chips, but there's nowhere else that I can see to put an extra memory chip.

I give it a three on a scale of one to ten. It protects the Story, especially the screen, and it makes it feel more like a book, but that's about it.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
MacEachaidh
Browser

Hmmm. James, I apologise if you might feel I gave you a bum steer.

I understand what you're saying about no pockets - the need to carry more memory chips never occurred to me, to be honest. I've seen ads for other covers that have pockets they recommend for passports and credit cards, but I can't imagine me wanting to use my ereader case for that, so I never really thought much about that either.

Yeah, mine came with the weird ziplock bag as well. I took it off. I guess it gives you more room for storing bulky items than the pockets in some of the other ones I've seen on various websites, but again, I can't imagine wanting to do that. The videos I saw on the iRiver website make it look like people are using it almost like an inside-out handbag or clutch purse. Weird and unwieldy. Maybe it's a Korean girl thing.

I agree it's overpriced, but most of the covers I've seen for pretty much all devices seem to be. I'm guessing it's an exploiting-a-small-market thang.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Hmmm. James, I apologise if you might feel I gave you a bum steer.
Not at all, Bran. I was going to buy a cover anyway, and was looking hardest at the one for my reader, and however tacky it might be, it's still better than a scratched screen surface. Yes, I took off the zippy bag. It just made the whole look like something I'd rigged up myself!

One more thing. Last night, for the first time since putting the cover on, I connected to my computer to load over a book. When holding the reader/cover, and pushing in the usb cable, the cover came loose from the reader. Easy enough to put back, of course, but I managed to do it several times, and now I'm wondering whether there's a way to do it without the cover coming loose! That'll be a challenge.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
MacEachaidh
Browser

Hmmm. I haven't had that happen, James. I'll have to watch next time to see if it's how I hold it that might make the difference.

(One reason I liked this cover was because I don't have to take the Story out so I can get full access to it, front and back.)
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
clanelliott
Enthusiast
clanelliott doesn't litterclanelliott doesn't litter

Device: iriver story
Delivered today, Sunday by royal mail!!
I have a Tuff-Luv leather case and i am impressed.
£20 from Tuff-Luv via Ebay in 3 days.
clanelliott is offline   Reply With Quote