Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Different font sizes in mobi?

Hi All,

I'm trying to convert an HTML file to mobi format with calibre.

In the HTML, the font size of all hard (non-breaking) spaces is set to 6pt. The rest of the body text is set to 12pt.

For some reason, the mobi conversion doesn't appear to retain this difference -- all spaces are the same size (12pt) in the calibre viewer (I'm slowly converting my library to mobi before the Kindle 3 I ordered arrives).

I tried replacing the pt values with pixel values, but the result is the same (hard spaces are the same size as normal spaces).

Strangely, when I convert to epub, the difference is retained.

Is it possible to retain different font sizes in mobi? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Perhaps you should have posted this question into the Calibre thread .... [ask a mod to shift it accordingly]

In the Calibre Convert panel for "Look & Feel" there is a check box for "Disable font size rescaling" - But I do not know what it does to the output ....

Last edited by GeoffC; 08-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Thanks, GeoffC!

I think I figured out what the problem was. It had to do with the HTML I had generated in Adobe Acrobat. For some reason, calibre didn't like the <SPAN style> tags containing the font size info.

I went back to the original Word file, saved as HTML (filtered) and then processed with Mobipocket Creator, and the different font sizes were retained.

Incidentally, Mobipocket Creator didn't like the <SPAN style> tags either.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Glad you sorted that one out

[as well as the html file, you had a style sheet ?]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font size, mobi conversion, nbsp