Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I can read the updated version just fine on my PRS-505.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrick View Post
This validates in epubchk.
I guess it does matter, whether it's validated or not...
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
But yeah. Just bear with me while I go edit 1,850 ebooks ... to remove the publication date. :/
It will only take a minute or so doing it with e.g. a perl script...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
spotrick
spotrick began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kobo
Thanks mate! Now I'll need to edit the remaining ebooks ....
spotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
So what was wrong with them? (in case there's a book I want to read before you get to it )
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #21
spotrick
spotrick began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad, Kobo
All 1890 ebooks in our collection have now been completely refreshed, and should work on the Sony devices.
It seems that while other readers are a little fault-tolerant when it comes to the epub spec., the Sonys were not. The main problem seemed to be the inclusion of qualified dublin core metadata elements in the content.opf file. Most readers (and sensible programmers) would simply ignore something as inconsequential as dc:date.modified, but not the Sony.

I also note that epubchk flags as an error the existence of .png image files, which it calls "non standard". Well, if a reader baulks at that, too bad. No way am I going back and replacing png with gif or jpg.
spotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I also note that epubchk flags as an error the existence of .png image files, which it calls "non standard". Well, if a reader baulks at that, too bad. No way am I going back and replacing png with gif or jpg.
Congratulations on getting all your books fixed.

But I don't understand your problem above. I've almost always used png image files in the ePub ebooks I do, and I've never had a problem - I put 40 png image files in The Woman in White.

I notice that you say 'epubchk flags as an error ...' Is this the same program as ePubcheck from Threepress Publishing? Or a different program? If it is a different program please ignore this post.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Most readers (and sensible programmers) would simply ignore something as inconsequential as dc:date.modified, but not the Sony.
The "correct" way to include this in ePUB would be a <dc:date> element with an "event" attribute...

Quote:
PNG is explicitly allowed in ePUB, and I have never seen epubcheck complain on this. Maybe you are using/defining them in some particular way? What is non-standard is having PNG files (or GIF, or JPG...) referred to directly in the <spine>, for instance; you have to use some XHTML wrapper to hold the image.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote