Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Macworld: iPhone 3G & 3GS Battery Test-iPhone OS3 vs.iOS4

http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...terytests.html

Quote:
The iPhone 3G with iOS 4 lasted 5 percent longer (10 minutes) than the iOS 3-configured iPhone 3G. That’s not a big difference, but frankly, I thought battery life would decrease, not increase, after updating the OS. Interestingly, the iOS 3 iPhone took less time to download our rented movie than the iOS 4 iPhone 3G, though the application downloads were faster with the new OS.
Sidenote-my wife hates iOS4 on her 3G-slow, crashes, and slow, apparently...she ordered an iPhone 4 today-est. 3 weeks for delivery
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...terytests.html

Sidenote-my wife hates iOS4 on her 3G-slow, crashes, and slow, apparently...she ordered an iPhone 4 today-est. 3 weeks for delivery
I have not updated on my iPhone 3G to iOS4 because I have it JB so I can tether it to my iPad.... but even if I had not JB it, I still would not update for that reason. I realize the hardware is old, and even though it would run the new OS, it is really not the best choice for me. The old 3G is slow enough as it is.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Obviously not scientific: I've experienced slightly longer battery life on my iPhone 3G since upgrading to iOS 4. I do vanilla stuff like checking info on the Internet and checking e-mail. I've never used the video or music features, so I dunno how those would affect battery life on the old firmware vs. new.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
my 3gs had the same battery life as far as i could measure when i upgraded from 3.x to 4.x. my iphone 4 definitely has longer battery life than my 3gs did.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
my 3gs had the same battery life as far as i could measure when i upgraded from 3.x to 4.x. my iphone 4 definitely has longer battery life than my 3gs did.
Do you know whether there is readily available info on iPhone 4 battery life vs. battery life on previous iPhones? I have a 3G and want to know. Significant battery improvement is one of the few reasons for me to consider upgrading.
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Do you know whether there is readily available info on iPhone 4 battery life vs. battery life on previous iPhones? I have a 3G and want to know. Significant battery improvement is one of the few reasons for me to consider upgrading.
of course! http://www.macworld.com/article/1524...4_battery.html
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, kjk. Do you know the ballpark battery life difference between an iPhone 3G and a 3GS?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Thanks, kjk. Do you know the ballpark battery life difference between an iPhone 3G and a 3GS?
I think they were pretty similar, Maggie...maybe a bit longer for 2G life at best.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
I think they were pretty similar, Maggie...maybe a bit longer for 2G life at best.
Thanks, kjk. Good to know.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i'd say between the 3g and the 3gs. not much difference. at least i never noticed any when i had both. between the 3gs and the 4, the 4 does last longer. not 8 hours longer. but enough to notice.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote