Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
ereaderwanabe
ereaderwanabe began at the beginning.

Device: nook?
Two Canadian concerns about the nook

So, I have read a lot of posts and I just want to clarify some things before I cross the border and buy my first ereader - a nook...

When buying books from B&N is it the fact that you are buying from a Canadian IP address or that you have registered your nook/B&N account with a Canadian address that restricts your ebook pruchases? I have a winter condo in Florida that I can register my nook with - if it the residence listed with the account that is what restricts book purchases.

Someone in a post said that the colour elibrary screen at the bottom does not work unless the books were purchased through B&N. Has anyone tried buying an ebook from Kobo and had it pop up with a colour cover page? Apparently in speaking with iRewards tis week, they have said that they foresee the membership program working with Kob by the end of the summer/early fall (I just renewed my membership in June because I was one of the suckers a cashier mislead to think that iRewards worked for Kobo, so by calling the customer service number, they have extended my membership for another year to accommodate their tardiness in enabling iRewards to work with Kobo's ebooks). I am intending to buy my books primarily through Kobo nce the deal comes through, so I want to know if the covers show up on the bottom screen.

Oh, one other thing (I guess I actually have three questions, not two)! I understand that 3G currently does not work in Canada. Does anyone see that happening? Should I purchase the 3G model with the hope that there will be an update that will enable 3G connectivity if B&N can negotiate a netowrk provider up here? Or do people feel a new and updated device will be needed for this capability when it comes? Am I best to just buy the wi-fi?

Anyone with some info?

Last edited by ereaderwanabe; 07-13-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: forgot something
ereaderwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I have a Kindle, but I've also gotten a number of books from the B&N store, so:

1) Both. I'd advise registering the account with your Florida address. They flat-out won't let you pick up certain books without a US shipping address, and the Canadian-compatible selection is limited.

The IP question is a bit tricker. Currently there are a few books available for both Canadian and US addresses. Generally, if a book is US-only, then the purchase will fail if you don't do the US proxy dance since apparently they check your IP during the actual checkout.

On the other hand, I think I've clicked on a couple of freebies once or twice when I've forgotten to load up the proxy and they've gone through okay. But then I live pretty close to the border and whatever they use for geo-location might be lenient in that respect.

3) I have nothing really to base this upon, but I say get the Wi-Fi model and save your money. By the time the Nook's officially supported in Canada, they'll probably have a new and improved version at an even lower price. Or our dollar will have gone up again, effectively lowering the price.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
soopersticky
soopersticky began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am learning a lot about the Nook that I purchased from B&N yesterday. I was able to use my Cdn credit card with a US address. I still have to find out how this will work when I go back to Canada...any thoughts?

I am trying to borrow a book from my city library. The site does mention that its ebooks are compatible with the Nook.

How do I buy ebooks from kobobooks.com, webscription.com, ebooks.com? Other posters mentioned that the are compatible with nook.

Note: I have tried getting a free ebook in kobobooks.com but it stays within "My library" in my kobo account. I can't get it to move to "My Library" in the nook. This would mean that I need WiFi each time I'd want to read that particular book.

I am trying not to get frustrated but this Nook seems to have a huge learning curve...is it because I'm no techie or is it really hard to go the run arounds with B&N??? Help, pls!!!!
soopersticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
In order to use library and Kobo books on the nook, you need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to manage the copy-protected files. Be sure to sign up for an Adobe ID when the software asks; that way you can transfer your books to another computer if you need to.

For your free Kobo book, see if there's a "Download ePub" button on the book's listing in on your library page. Some of them don't have it, or have it removed later, so when you get a book from Kobo, be sure to download the ePub version right away, as well as adding it to your Kobo Library so you can access it again later when it's not free anymore.

Click on that, and then open the .acsm file that gets downloaded in ADE. This will download an ePub copy which you should be able transfer to your Nook using the ADE software. Library books work the same way.

At Baen's Webscriptions, pick ePub for the file format you download, and then transfer it to your Nook using USB or Calibre, depending on how you like to manage your files. It will go into "My Documents", not "My Library", which seems to be reserved for B&N purchases.

Don't change your B&N address when you move back to Canada unless you're buying something physical from them. A lot of their ebooks won't "ship" outside the US.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderwanabe View Post
So, I have read a lot of posts and I just want to clarify some things before I cross the border and buy my first ereader - a nook...

When buying books from B&N is it the fact that you are buying from a Canadian IP address or that you have registered your nook/B&N account with a Canadian address that restricts your ebook pruchases? I have a winter condo in Florida that I can register my nook with - if it the residence listed with the account that is what restricts book purchases.

Someone in a post said that the colour elibrary screen at the bottom does not work unless the books were purchased through B&N. Has anyone tried buying an ebook from Kobo and had it pop up with a colour cover page? Apparently in speaking with iRewards tis week, they have said that they foresee the membership program working with Kob by the end of the summer/early fall (I just renewed my membership in June because I was one of the suckers a cashier mislead to think that iRewards worked for Kobo, so by calling the customer service number, they have extended my membership for another year to accommodate their tardiness in enabling iRewards to work with Kobo's ebooks). I am intending to buy my books primarily through Kobo nce the deal comes through, so I want to know if the covers show up on the bottom screen.

Oh, one other thing (I guess I actually have three questions, not two)! I understand that 3G currently does not work in Canada. Does anyone see that happening? Should I purchase the 3G model with the hope that there will be an update that will enable 3G connectivity if B&N can negotiate a netowrk provider up here? Or do people feel a new and updated device will be needed for this capability when it comes? Am I best to just buy the wi-fi?

Anyone with some info?
I am not sure on the US address and IP address thing. I do have my B&N account registered to my US address, but I have yet to order a B&N ebook, so I'm not sure if it will work.

Yes, if you buy an ebook off of kobo.com, the picture will show up in the bottom left hand side of the screen while the book is open. The confusion is that non B&N books get put into My Documents in the Nook and you can't show all of the covers on the cover flow. You also can't search or organize your books very well that way. The way to get all of that to work nicely is to root it. Very easy to do.

I didn't bother with the wifi. Honestly, I have a phone if I want to search the web when I'm out, and I never buy B&N books, so what is the point? I don't even really use the wifi. I load my books via calibre after I have organized them the way I want them.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopersticky View Post
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am learning a lot about the Nook that I purchased from B&N yesterday. I was able to use my Cdn credit card with a US address. I still have to find out how this will work when I go back to Canada...any thoughts?

I am trying to borrow a book from my city library. The site does mention that its ebooks are compatible with the Nook.

How do I buy ebooks from kobobooks.com, webscription.com, ebooks.com? Other posters mentioned that the are compatible with nook.

Note: I have tried getting a free ebook in kobobooks.com but it stays within "My library" in my kobo account. I can't get it to move to "My Library" in the nook. This would mean that I need WiFi each time I'd want to read that particular book.

I am trying not to get frustrated but this Nook seems to have a huge learning curve...is it because I'm no techie or is it really hard to go the run arounds with B&N??? Help, pls!!!!
ATDrake pretty much answered all of your questions.

All I know is that whereever I get my ebooks from (Kobo, library, amazon, etc...) I always download the epub file directly to my computer. I used to have to convert it with mobipocket before putting it on my phone, but now with the Nook I just add to Calibre (there is a forum here for the program) because I like to edit the metatags, and then I plug the usb into my Nook and send it via Calibre.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
comma
comma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
using it in canada since yesterday and yes despite US address, some ebooks cannot be downloaded as they go by IP address I assume. So don't be surprised if you can't get some books on Nook if you'r ein canada from bn.com

Furthermore, wi-fi is fine. you don't really need 3g I guess but that's your call
comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by comma View Post
using it in canada since yesterday and yes despite US address, some ebooks cannot be downloaded as they go by IP address I assume. So don't be surprised if you can't get some books on Nook if you'r ein canada from bn.com

Furthermore, wi-fi is fine. you don't really need 3g I guess but that's your call
There should be no check on Canadian IP-addresses, those are allowed by default (just like US IP-addresses).

Have you used the US address for the shipping and billing address? The billing address must also be an US address. The billing address is not verified with your credit card company, so this works fine.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
comma
comma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
thanks for that tip, apparently my default ship at one point was canadian that i hadn't updated but it still won't allow me, i think it does detect canadian ips and consequently on only some books doesn't allow it

Last edited by comma; 08-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.
comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai

Somebody on another thread (the one stickied at the top of the Nook forum I think) posted how to get around the Canadian ip address thing. So far I haven't had a problem getting any ebook, but if I do I will try this.