Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Do You Buy eBooks That You Already Own in Paper?

Just wondering whether I'm the only one who is sorely tempted to buy books for the Reader that I already own (unread) in paper. Right now I'm reading a thick trade paperback, which feels awkward and heavy now that I'm spoiled by the Reader. I'm sooo tempted!

Someone, please tell me I'm not the only one...

On the other hand, most of you probably don't have a To-Read pile as big as mine. >1000 UNREAD books on my shelves.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #2
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Just wondering whether I'm the only one who is sorely tempted to buy books for the Reader that I already own (unread) in paper. Right now I'm reading a thick trade paperback, which feels awkward and heavy now that I'm spoiled by the Reader. I'm sooo tempted!

You are not the only one, though do it mainly for reference books, though I did buy Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest since I never seemed able to make it through the paper copy.

The main thing that drives me to do it is trying to save space. You can't believe how happy I was to find Mrs. Beeton's guide in electronic format. 5000 pages and three inches of bookshelf space saved.

Mike
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I have several versions of Neuromancer (print and ebook). I will be getting the version for the Sony Reader soon too
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele

On the other hand, most of you probably don't have a To-Read pile as big as mine. >1000 UNREAD books on my shelves.
Michele, check out the latler part of this post. You are not alone. Well maybe you are until you actually do it & join the rest of us.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes. I picked up the Del Rey Robert E Howard reprintings, as well as George R R Martin's Game of Thrones. (Okay, my wife actually owns that last one but...well, I could bludgeon a man to death with that book.) Ditto Clive Barker's Imajica, for the same reason.

I like the quality of a well made hardcover, but some books are rather...inconvenient due to their bulk or weight. Perhaps someday Christopher Tolkien will get over himself and we'll see a legal electronic editon of LotR you can actually carry without getting a hernia.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I knew I could count on you guys to give me the permission I was looking for!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
dtenenbo
dtenenbo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
buy and sell

Yes to your question, but then I put the paper copy on sale through Amazon. Ah, the pleasure of empty shelves...
dtenenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yup, me too. Already duped my set of HitchHiker's Guide.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I just can't! Got a good memory. I've reread two books in my life. "Robinson Crusoe" that I had read 40 years earlyer, and "HP 5 The Order of the Phoenix" just to set me back in the story for the next one.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't have to forget a book to re-read it -- if it's well written, I enjoy re-reading it even when I know what's going to happen.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Bought the Sherlock Holmes collection today. (Only $5,99) Although I've read these stories several times before, I still enjoy them - especially on the dark evenings in the autumn.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I just can't! Got a good memory. I've reread two books in my life. "Robinson Crusoe" that I had read 40 years earlyer, and "HP 5 The Order of the Phoenix" just to set me back in the story for the next one.
I have a good memory but I still reread often - sometime revisiting a good book is like running into an old friend.

That said, though, most of my electronic duplications are reference works, although I would like to see some bundles of my favourite fiction authors. I'd love a Raymond Chandler bundle, since his books take up a full third of one shelf.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There are so many good books to be read! And my clock is ticking faster! The book has to be bloody well written for me to go back to it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
There are so many good books to be read! And my clock is ticking faster! The book has to be bloody well written for me to go back to it.
Sometimes I re-read a "bloody well written" old one because I'm having finding "bloody well written" new one. Also like BuddyBoy, I sometimes just like to revisit an old friend.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
reading_nut
reading_nut began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Hear, Hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido
I have several versions of Neuromancer (print and ebook). I will be getting the version for the Sony Reader soon too
About half the books that I've purchased on the e-store are duplicates to print books that I own or that I've already read.

I'm very "mood oriented" in reading, and I love the idea that I can have dozens of books at my fingertips to read or just browse as I'd like on a long flight or even at my bedside.

I re-read a large number of books, and almost always feel like I get a little more out of them each time.
reading_nut is offline   Reply With Quote