Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
eclpmb
eclpmb began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Question Calibre - web server problems

I'm having trouble getting this working as it should.

I downloaded the windows binary of 0.4.106 and added my existing library of books, and turned on the web server. I set it to use a password.

The web page doesn't require the password and you can download my ebooks without authentication. Because of this I dare not open up my firewall and let this out on the big bad internet.

Am i doing something wrong with this?

Also, the site fails to display on ie7.
eclpmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Ive not yet got the password part working either but so far mine is restricted to my local network
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just tried using the password, and when set I can even connect to it, via a browser or via an iPod.

Also weird... running on Mac. Accessing from IE on win machine I need to use imac:8080 but on the ipod I need to use imac.local:8080. So, I can't set hostname to both things.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The password will be implemented in the next release. You don't need to set hostname any more. As for IE, I dont run windows, so I haven't tested it on IE at all, though it works on firefox, konqueror and safari.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
eclpmb
eclpmb began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Well ie doesn't bother me as I use Firefox mainly, it was just doing testing for the password issue that I saw it didn't come up at all in ie.

The password not working though is a killer, with the current state of the world, I am not going to put copyrighted materials out unprotected, even on an odd port. I guess I'll have to wait for the next version.
eclpmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The password will be implemented in the next release. You don't need to set hostname any more. As for IE, I dont run windows, so I haven't tested it on IE at all, though it works on firefox, konqueror and safari.
Curious... do you develop on a Mac or do you use Linux? So, you don't test on Windows at all, because I bet most of the calibre users are on Windows?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Linux, I dont test on windows or Mac unless someone reports a problem or I'm developing a feature that requires platform specific implementation. For a break of calibre users see http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/awstat...kovidgoyal.net
Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
I'm pretty sure I've read on here that Calibre relies on the users of this fantastic free software to do a lot of the testing. That's a small price to pay for what we are all getting here. We are so lucky to have Calibre with its current development/testing model as it exists. Sometimes it can be tough to be an open source developer as the users often end up taking things for granted and forgetting that this is done as a hobby in someone's own time for free.

Keep up the great work Kovid!!
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Cold
Cold began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Thumbs up

I want to second what CrazyIvan put so well.

Thanks Kovid
Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

My pleasure It's great to have such a supportive community of users, keeps me coming back to calibre development