View Poll Results: Do you pirate books?
Yes 103 26.34%
No 177 45.27%
Once in awhile 111 28.39%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No, this isn't art. In the case of art you view, it has been purchased already, and made available for viewing, that having been part and parcel of the artists "contract" with the purchaser. In the case of a novel, you have no right to read a copy of someone else's bought version. (You do, IMHO as an author, have a right to read that EXACT version, giving the reader who paid for a book thei right to lend you a book, provided they no longer have access to the book and no copies are made of the original.)
I agree with that when it comes to refrence materials and technical books that quickly become outdated. I still believe that when it comes to fiction (and some but not all non-fiction) the very act of reading and spending my time thinking about and discussing someones labour of love is payment enough. An exceptional tale is worth buying and re-reading.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #32
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I voted no because I don't believe in the idea of piracy. Texts should be available to all because they are texts, knowledge, beneficial to the advancement of culture.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

2. I'd bought the paper book.
This.

This should be considered fair use, or licensing per seat.
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
There would be only one set of circumstances in which I'd consider it ethically justifiable to pirate a book:

1. If no commercial eBook was available.

and:

In those circumstances, I'd have no qualms about downloading a pirated eBook. However, if a commercial eBook did then become commercially available, I'd buy it.

So I'd have to answer "on occasions". Very rare occasions.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonobjective View Post
This.

This should be considered fair use, or licensing per seat.
You know, I always wondered that. I do not see a license in any paperback book that I've bought. Nothing that says "You can only use this in this form" or "you are licensed to be the only reader of this." Nothing invokes any ownership or copyright controls on that book. Indeed, I can loan it to people at will.

So... by that logic.. It would NOT be illegal for me to take the entire book and type it into a word document. It would NOT be illegal for me to scan the book. None of those acts would be illegal.

So, if I were to have a copy of the book, with the exact same content, in ebook form.. I wonder if I could legally fight challenges of piracy under a "Doctrine of First Sale" case.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
There would be only one set of circumstances in which I'd consider it ethically justifiable to pirate a book:

In those circumstances, I'd have no qualms about downloading a pirated eBook. However, if a commercial eBook did then become commercially available, I'd buy it.

So I'd have to answer "on occasions". Very rare occasions.

Yes but then it isn't really piracy in my opinion. I did that for a paper book that I couldn't find but know that I have.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #38
The Terminator
Retired

Deleted.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Who in their right mind would write a book then?
Just to play Devil's advocate, have you seriously never shared any information with anybody without payment being involved?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I get all of my ebooks legally.
I get my ebooks elegally
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
You know, I always wondered that. I do not see a license in any paperback book that I've bought. Nothing that says "You can only use this in this form" or "you are licensed to be the only reader of this." Nothing invokes any ownership or copyright controls on that book. Indeed, I can loan it to people at will.

So... by that logic.. It would NOT be illegal for me to take the entire book and type it into a word document. It would NOT be illegal for me to scan the book. None of those acts would be illegal.

So, if I were to have a copy of the book, with the exact same content, in ebook form.. I wonder if I could legally fight challenges of piracy under a "Doctrine of First Sale" case.
If a friend is legally allowed to lend me a hard copy book, why is it illegal for that same friend to lend that same book if it takes the form of an ebook? Why can't i sell my dozens of completed ebooks at my yard sale for $.99 each?

The publishers and distributors are already invoking limited terms of usage models based on a supported-device/authorized-user-only licensing. How is it any different?

That being said I don't agree with a free for all on pirating of ebooks. But if I own the hardcopy book, I feel no guilt about side loading an DRM stripped version of that same book on my device.
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have pirated seven books, ie the Harry Potter series. When the author gets off her butt and sells them through her website or Amazon or where ever, I will happily purchase the books. I have no interest in re-reading the last 4 books in hardback form because they uncomfortable to hold and are far to heavy. I bought the hardbacks and the paperbacks so I don't feel like I have deprived her of any money.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #43
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I voted no because I don't believe in the idea of piracy. Texts should be available to all because they are texts, knowledge, beneficial to the advancement of culture.
But back on planet Earth...
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Who in their right mind would write a book then?
I would say those who truly believe that their text should be read.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #45
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Cool, did you get your ereader for free also? I mean that's what we use to read texts, so that should be free too right? Also internet access, otherwise how can we download? And houses, because living under a roof is pretty important. I can't wait till you're in charge of this bustling economy.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote