Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur
pyxiwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
UPDATE: Major Freezing Issue

All of a sudden my PE is freezing when we try to open apps that were never a problem before. Now they are larger apps, but there are others bigger that work. I haven't done anything of note to the thing since the last time they worked, I'm so frustrated! So far the apps we're having trouble with (off the top of my head) are Aporkalypse, Cat in the Hat Lite, and Golden Rule Lite. Any suggestions? Yes, I've restarted it and I have run an appkiller app with no improvement.

Last edited by pyxiwulf; 06-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.
pyxiwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
How much space do you have left in your base memory?
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

tell me how to tell you!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
go to the settings app and tap Device storage and then tell us the numbers under Available Space for the Application storage and Internal storage...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

application: 93.76mb

nothing says internal storage in there.
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

update: Last night the battery ran out to a shutdown. When I restarted it after charging, it was taking a VERY long time and I was getting concerned because it also showed the little cursor in the upper right hand corner of the tablet. Last time it did these things, it got stuck in a boot loop and I had to reflash it. When it finally did start back up, it looked like it was back to original factory settings. When I opened the app drawer, my apps were there and my library is intact and it does still have ermine, but I think it might be possessed
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyxiwulf View Post
All of a sudden my PE is freezing when we try to open apps that were never a problem before. Now they are larger apps, but there are others bigger that work. I haven't done anything of note to the thing since the last time they worked, I'm so frustrated! So far the apps we're having trouble with (off the top of my head) are Aporkalypse, Cat in the Hat Lite, and Golden Rule Lite. Any suggestions? Yes, I've restarted it and I have run an appkiller app with no improvement.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling at least one of the apps to see if it makes any difference.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I think that is a good recommendation. Can you think of the last thing that you might have changed? The last program that you installed? And so on? And what kind of build are you operating on? (Are you rooted? Have you been playing around with the system in any way, as per the "Ermine tweaks" thread?) I was thinking it might be because your memory was low, but that sounds like it is not the case.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyxiwulf View Post
When I opened the app drawer, my apps were there and my library is intact and it does still have ermine, but I think it might be possessed
I think you are right! Call Scully and Mulder to help!

Seriously, I am wondering if your appkiller application could be doing more harm than good. I read that Android doesn't/shouldn't need app killers because the OS has its own special app-killing style with which we humans should not mess.

Maybe one of the gurus here can say whether the appkiller itself might be causing/exacerbating your problem.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
The app killer may be causing the problems, though I really don't know enough to be sure... Android is kinda neat in that it leaves app's "running" in RAM, without giving them much if any CPU, it will give up the RAM if another, more active app needs it but it doesn't always need to. Unfortunately, when people see that they only have a few Megabytes of RAM left it tricks them into thinking they will need to clear it out, when really there is nothing wrong with filling up your RAM completely(as long as you aren't actively using all of it of course)... So yes, appkiller's are not necessary and can in fact do more harm than good.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

I removed the appkiller and tried to remove one of the apps and reinstall. No go. I think the last thing I changed was downloading a free amazon app of the day that I never even opened. I'm running ermine, not rooted and the closest thing to a tweak is installing an .apk or two from sites that are not amazon or slideme.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I were you I'd get rid of the free app from Amazon. Chances are good it won't work anyway, and if you want it again it will still be in your account to redownload. I am guessing that as long as you installed the app, even if you didn't open it, it could cause problems. And Amazon doesn't check compatibility as well as they might, IMHO.

Maybe restart again after you remove that free (too good to be true?? ) app.

Good luck! Report back, please!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

now, if only I knew which one it was...lol!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
pyxiwulf
Connoisseur

Grumblegrumble....nothing has gotten better since I last posted. I deleted all of the free apps, things still aren't working well, nearly every new app I try freezes up or fails install, even ones that are confirmed working with ermine. And tonight, while I was raving about how much I love my PE on the woot blog, the danged thing froze up in hibernation and I had to paperclip it to get it back. I guess I'll reflash it and hope that whatever got screwed up with the last flash doesn't happen this time. I'd really like Pandora and Facebook back Along with my daughter would love her autoread book apps back
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
Filark

Did you say you ordered another 1 or 2 from Woot? It will be interesting to see if those work better for you. I can't imagine why your apps quit working.

I will admit my eDGes occasionally freeze or otherwise give me trouble, but I have never met a computer that ran perfectly all the time. Still, yours sounds worse than most.

Did a reflash fix anything?