Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #1846
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
wow...way more organized {cough - ocd} that I am...and i thought I kept things just so
Custom columns in calibre and an email archive that stretches back to the early 1990s...

It's not hard keeping it up to date now. Just two extra fields whenever I add a book: where bought and price paid. I'm using the date added to calibre as the date bought field, so that gets filled in automatically for new books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #1847
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes.

From the Author: 76
Amazon: 81
Baen: 820
Books on Board: 56
CyberRead: 2
Dragon Moon Publishing: 1
Fictionwise: 1137
Humble Bundle: 1
Kobo: 16
Pan Macmillan: 1
Phoenix Pick: 3
Pottermore: 8
Smashwords: 5
Sony: 1
Waterstones: 4
WHSmith: 2
This is fascinating. For one thing, you must have the patience of the saint to find anything on the WH SMith website - but there again, I visited there when I had a Sony 550 - all those years ago and haven't been back since.
My question is this - why do you shop around? Can you not find the titles you want on a specific website, or is it that you are a browser and books catch your eye?
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #1848
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
My question is this - why do you shop around? Can you not find the titles you want on a specific website, or is it that you are a browser and books catch your eye?
You need to bear in mind that I've been buying ebooks for over ten years now.

And the vast majority of my purchases have been from Fictionwise and Baen.

I think that Amazon will take over (mostly) from Fictionwise in my buying, especially their daily deals. But Kobo's coupons also make that book store irresistible. Being prepared to wait for bargains is something that I've learned to do. It's why my average purchase price is around $3.

The other stores? Some are direct from the author, and the others would have been because of a store-specific special offer or availability.

I don't really expect to buy many books anywhere except Baen, Amazon, Kobo and author sites.

Perhaps I should look more at Waterstones and WHSmith. But while something like A Mighty Fortress by David Weber is £2.99 at Amazon and £4.19 at WHSmith, there isn't much incentive to check.

Hey - the next one's out! Umm... whoops. At £3.82 it's a bit higher than my usual purchase price, but I've got to have it.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #1849
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You realize, of course, if the great Ebook settlement actually occurs as promised, the resulting influx of cash in the form of credit to buy yet more ebooks will make this thread implode .... and drag a screaming mouse into the vortex of spiraling ebook numbers ....
[screaming with joy that is]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #1850
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
You realize, of course, if the great Ebook settlement actually occurs as promised, the resulting influx of cash in the form of credit to buy yet more ebooks will make this thread implode .... and drag a screaming mouse into the vortex of spiraling ebook numbers ....
[screaming with joy that is]
I don't think any settlement rebate is due for people in the EU?

Also, I don't think I bought any ebooks at the agency prices. They were just too high for me!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #1851
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
True .... I'll do the screaming for you ... if & when & if I ever get my credit ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #1852
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

Also, I don't think I bought any ebooks at the agency prices. They were just too high for me!
Nope, I think it's only for people in the U.S. And only for books bought on Amazon. I bought some on Kobo and I'm Canadian, so I guess I don't count!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #1853
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

Only US, and only for agency books. Like you, I don't think I'll have many, if any. Not even sure I'll be eligible, since I'm Canadian, through for Amazon, I'm American.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #1854
Rita Lee Chapman
rchapman1
Rita Lee Chapman began at the beginning.

Device: e-reader
Hi Pomtroll - think you'll have to up your limit or only go for freebies for the rest of the month!
Rita Lee Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #1855
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
OK...so I just reviewed my Amazon orders for the month thus far and I have 22 ebooks and it's only the 6th. that does not include B&N or Smashwords. Granted they were all free, but I am starting to wonder if I just click...click...click on free ones not matter what.

If this month follow anything like August (especially after I total the other sites) I think I may have a problem . Amazon alone for August was a total of 130 books, some bundles, totaling $3.99.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #1856
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I did really well last month. Didn't buy any books, at least not with my bank account. I did buy some with gift cards I got from Swagbucks and other sites like that, of course. I also cut down on the freebies since I never get to reading them anyway. Let's hope for more of the same this month!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #1857
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I don't count freebies. Granted, I read very few of the ones I download. But they cost no cash and very little in terms of time to download and put in calibre. And I may get around to them one day.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #1858
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
I don't count freebies. Granted, I read very few of the ones I download. But they cost no cash and very little in terms of time to download and put in calibre. And I may get around to them one day.
That's pretty much how I feel, but wonder if i may be overdoing it...besides, maybe clicking away on the freebies (and the broke/cheap aspect of my personality) is what keeps my other purchases in check?! lol
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #1859
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Perhaps I went a little mad over the summer holiday's but my book buying habit seems to have slowed since I went back to work (I wonder if there's a connection?)
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #1860
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Freebies are a waste of time not cash, besides the free classics.
I used to get the free for a limited time books.
They were all bad and I never actually finished reading one.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote