Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #121
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Yes, the Arc is a tablet, so can do that sort of thing.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #122
kstearns
kstearns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
How does the screen look outdoors? Can you read and view video easily?
kstearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #123
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've had no problem using it outdoors the few times I have but it hasn't exactly been blinding sunshine weather here in Nova Scotia lately.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #124
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I've had no problem using it outdoors the few times I have but it hasn't exactly been blinding sunshine weather here in Nova Scotia lately.
Especially not today. Man, I miss the days when there'd be snow on the ground from mid-November to mid-March. None of this 10C and rain crap in December! Damn you, Global Warming! :P

But, yeah, the screen's decent enough outside, as long as the sun's not directly on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #125
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Sweet, now I can post in my own little world.

Where are all my Arc people?
I'd like to join the lucky ones ;-)
But so far, I haven't found a way to order Kobo Arc in Germany.
I've tried the French site, but they don't ship to Germany.
Any tips?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #126
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Me too. Still waiting for it to come to the US. patience....
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #127
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

@Kobo-Robin...I'm curious about the facial recognition software. It sounds like a cool way to protect the Arc, but have to admit I'm worried about what happens if something goes wrong? At least with a p/w or pin you have a chance of it suddenly coming to you in the middle of the night, but if the FR app goes wrong, I assume the only recourse is to reset the device?

Thanks...
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #128
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
@Kobo-Robin...I'm curious about the facial recognition software. It sounds like a cool way to protect the Arc, but have to admit I'm worried about what happens if something goes wrong? At least with a p/w or pin you have a chance of it suddenly coming to you in the middle of the night, but if the FR app goes wrong, I assume the only recourse is to reset the device?

Thanks...
No idea about the Kobo Arc.
But I've tried the facial recognition protection on Samsung Nexus.
Nice gimmick, but far from safe.
I've made a picture of myself on iPhone 4.
Samsung Nexus easily was tricked by that.
Of course, one has to have a picture of the owner. But then it's quite simple.
If, for whatever reason, facial recognition wouldn't work, additionally you still can define an additional protection, for example password or gesture.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #129
eTess
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No idea about the Kobo Arc.
But I've tried the facial recognition protection on Samsung Nexus.
Nice gimmick, but far from safe. I've made a picture of myself on iPhone 4.
Samsung Nexus easily was tricked by that.<SNIP>
Thanks for the info...kinda what I was worried about...I'm sticking with one of the other forms of security for now...
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #130
FaisalAbid
Developer - Kobo Arc.
FaisalAbid began at the beginning.

Hi eTess. If you are really worried about security then I suggest not using the facial recognition. As a note, Kobo did not develop the facial recognition software, but it comes bundled with Android.

The facial recognition is far from perfect, for example I can get my brother who a few years younger then me to unlock the my galaxy nexus by holding it an an angle.

The best form of security is the PIN or Pattern Lock.

As an added bonus, try turning on encryption. This will prevent any random person from reading the contents of your device if you are to ever loose it!
FaisalAbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #131
eTess
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaisalAbid View Post
Hi eTess. If you are really worried about security then I suggest not using the facial recognition. As a note, Kobo did not develop the facial recognition software, but it comes bundled with Android.
<SNIP>

The best form of security is the PIN or Pattern Lock.

As an added bonus, try turning on encryption. This will prevent any random person from reading the contents of your device if you are to ever loose it!
Thanks so much for the feedback! I had pretty much ruled it out for the very reasons you describe...I would be curious to see if my sister could open my Arc if I used my pic...I have gone with one of the two safer options you mentioned.

I'm also going to look into the encryption - just worried it will lock me out accidentally!

Thanks again...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #132
dan27
dan27 began at the beginning.

Device: arc
I went to a Chapters outlet and they exchanged my ARC for a new one.
The staff at the local Coles outlet were very helpful.

Have been very busy so have only had a chance to download some apps and side load some books, mp3s, and movies to try. So far the speakers seem to be working, but have only had it on for less than an hour.

Hopefully I had a lemon and will have no further difficulties.

It would be nice to get rid of the Discovery bar though. I do not do Facebook, twitter or any of the other social media, so will not be chatting with others about books. I will decide on what books I want and DO NOT WANT TO BE PESTERED AS TO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS I WANT.
dan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #133
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
It would be nice to get rid of the Discovery bar though. I do not do Facebook, twitter or any of the other social media, so will not be chatting with others about books. I will decide on what books I want and DO NOT WANT TO BE PESTERED AS TO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS I WANT.
As I've said elsewhere, you can go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Discovery Service and disable it. (while you're there, you might want to disable KoboTracking [seriously, guys, why do you hate your customers so much? :/] and the app with the Chinese character name (which is supposedly the IME for entering Asian characters, but which for some reason demands access to your personal information!)

Disabling the Discovery Service will leave the Discover bar there, but it won't be populated with pictures and advertisements.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #134
Admiralaqbar
Admiralaqbar began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Smile

Hello! I'm in a bit of a snag. I'm deciding whether to buy an Arc for christmas or a Nexus 7. I will be using it for reading but i like the added tablet features as well such as social networking email and stuff. Which would be the better buy? Do the reading capabilities match, and is there the same reading content as there would be on the arc as there is on the nexus? Really appreciate a reply thank you
Admiralaqbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #135
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiralaqbar View Post
Hello! I'm in a bit of a snag. I'm deciding whether to buy an Arc for christmas or a Nexus 7. I will be using it for reading but i like the added tablet features as well such as social networking email and stuff. Which would be the better buy? Do the reading capabilities match, and is there the same reading content as there would be on the arc as there is on the nexus? Really appreciate a reply thank you
You will have access to the same books whether you get a Kobo or the Nexus. You can get books from Google on a Kobo & you can use the Kobo app & get books from the Kobo store on the Nexus.

As far as reading, Arc has a better screen for reading outdoors if that matters to you. Nexus has ICS but the max storage you can get is 32g with no expandable storage. Arc has the older version of android but there's an update in the works for this. Once that comes out the Arc will also have ICS. They also have max storage of 64g, also without expandable storage.

....also the Arc is nicer looking

Last edited by kimicocopop; 12-08-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: wrong wording
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote