Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #211
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You do not need BOTH the wizard and my INF file. The wizard CREATES a new INF file for you... My INF was just an example -- use the one from the wizard if you can...

I have no idea why it is failing. Your screenshots look good other than the "failing" part.

Perhaps you have a "permissions" problem. Try running fastboot from an Administrator account on your windows machine... Or maybe you need to reinstall it as administrator. I turned off the ACL crap on my Win7...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2012 at 05:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #212
belalugosimf
belalugosimf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Unfortunately - administrator rights are not given any results.
Logged on win as admin, cmd - run as admin....
I have used wizard generated and geekmaster inf file.
On fastboot - no result.

I wonder if this is a moment to give up?
Can I restore "your kindle is broken" screen and try to use Amazon warranty to replace device? I'm in Europe, so that is going to be expensive.... :-/

Obviously - my Kindle touch is dead, stuck on tree screensaver...
belalugosimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #213
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you run the linux fastboot program from a bootable linux CD? Before giving up completely, try using linux to fix your kindle...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #214
belalugosimf
belalugosimf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
hey.. geekmaster, that is great idea! I have ubuntu live distribution cd...
OK, here i go again!!!!
will post results here.

you guys realy give hope... )))
belalugosimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #215
geekmaster

If you have trouble with fastboot mode dropping out when going from MfgTool to linux fastboot, try setting fastboot mode from the diags exit menu (install fastboot package), which will make it always boot to fastboot until you change the bootmode var.

EDIT: Hey amazon! If you are reading this -- it really sucks when we have to clean up your mess when your updates brick kindles (especially kindles in foreign lands). You know? And your recent "anti-hacker" mods in 5.1.0 are only going to make it harder for us to fix your problems. Get a clue and give us a break! We are only trying to HELP people here. Okay?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #216
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by belalugosimf View Post
hey.. geekmaster, that is great idea! I have ubuntu live distribution cd...
OK, here i go again!!!!
will post results here.

you guys realy give hope... )))
And it that does not work, then try installing 32-bit windows in a VM, and run fastboot from there. There is rarely a reason to "give up". Most problems can be solved if you just keep trying different things until you find one that works.

Thomas Edison was a great inventor, and his approach involved finding a solution only after many (sometimes hundreds) of failures. That persistence and tenacity is a halmark of all great inventors. Do not even think about "giving up" on your kindle.

I try to live by the "nothing is impossible" way of life myself, and I have a history of literally "jaw-dropping" achievements throughout my life (I have seen mouths open unrealistically wide amongst the people watching me in "cube farms" when I come out of a "coding trance" -- which makes me feel a sense of pride and creeped out at the same time).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #217
geekmaster

I updated the pastebin page (which changes the URL). It now has URLs for dasmoovers new k4 and k5(touch) forensic images. I updated the URL for the new pastebin page, in the "forensic images" link in the debricking sticky.

I do not provide direct links (in compliance with mobileread rules), even though I received VERBAL permission from amazon techs (which was never followed up with written permission from their legal staff as I had requested). Amazon has also never followed up on their other "we will contact you in a couple of days" technical issues either.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #218
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I updated the pastebin page (which changes the URL). It now has URLs for dasmoovers new k4 and k5(touch) forensic images. I updated the URL for the new pastebin page, in the "forensic images" link in the debricking sticky.

I do not provide direct links (in compliance with mobileread rules), even though I received VERBAL permission from amazon techs (which was never followed up with written permission from their legal staff as I had requested). Amazon has also never followed up on their other "we will contact you in a couple of days" technical issues either.
Your in the great state of USA.

You have permission from the person "with the apparent authority", which in the USA is "good enough".

I.E: The person either had the authority or __should__ have known that they did not have such authority, ball's in your court (no pun intended) now.

Keep on posting.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #219
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your in the great state of USA.

You have permission from the person "with the apparent authority", which in the USA is "good enough".

I.E: The person either had the authority or __should__ have known that they did not have such authority, ball's in your court (no pun intended) now.

Keep on posting.
Umm... verbal permission doesn't count. I did not record the conversation. Although their recorded messages suggest that they did indeed record it, I doubt they would provide that recording to me so that I could challenge their takedown notice (should such an event ever occur).

As they say around here, "verbal agreements are as good as the paper they are written on"...

That is why I requested written permission to back up their verbal permission.

I really doubt that my claiming that their tech said "should be fine" consititutes legal permission and stands any chance of holding up in a court of law. I spent a significant amount of time studying constitutional law in past years, and my experience does not support your claim that my verbal permission is "good enough" in the USA. For my own personal comfort, I like things written down on paper with no "weasel-word" legalese.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #220
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Umm... verbal permission doesn't count. I did not record the conversation. Although their recorded messages suggest that they did indeed record it, I doubt they would provide that recording to me so that I could challenge their takedown notice (should such an event ever occur).

As they say around here, "verbal agreements are as good as the paper they are written on"...

That is why I requested written permission to back up their verbal permission.

I really doubt that my claiming that their tech said "should be fine" consititutes legal permission and stands any change of holding up in a court of law. I spent a significant amount of time studying constitutional law in past years, and my experience does not support your claim that my verbal permission is "good enough" in the USA. For my own personal comfort, I like things written down on paper with no "weasel-word" legalese.

Nit-Pick:

"Good Enough" to avoid monitary damages - they can't show melicious intent;
Not "Good Enough" to defeat a Take Down Notice.

You like it better if I spell it out?
Like who cares (outside of a court of law) - this is a hobbiest forum, not a legal forum.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #221
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You like it better if I spell it out?
Yes, I do like things spelled out to minimize misinterpretation.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #222
geekmaster

(this space is reserved)

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-13-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #223
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
And just for the record, my name is not Mel and you probably would not find me "desirable":
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=melicious
Making you even safer from actions than I claimed.
Why not just give it a rest for now?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #224
Admesser
Admesser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
SO, without reading through all 15 pages, would a person using a Mac who has absolutely ZERO Linux experience be able to do the procedure described in this thread?

I would very much like to have a functioning screensaver/working power button again.
Admesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #225
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admesser View Post
SO, without reading through all 15 pages, would a person using a Mac who has absolutely ZERO Linux experience be able to do the procedure described in this thread?

I would very much like to have a functioning screensaver/working power button again.
First (title) post of the thread is an index to the subject.
You should not need to read all 15 pages.

You have a Mac, well BSD (a.k.a: Mac) command line experience is pretty much the same as Linux command line experience.
Of course, that statement is only true in general, but probably close enough that you will be able to follow the directions - we are not building OpenOffice here.

Tags
debricking