Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #181
Eibi
Eibi began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Transformer Prime
Hello everybody

just got a new Tablet and started experimenting with the Calibre Server and found this page here. It would be pretty cool to get this run to have an everywhere OTA-Access to my library.
I'm running an Apache2 on a Debian system where also ownCloud is installed and accessable, so apache seems to be configurated properly.
I've done the config_local.php and installed smarty and GD.
But whenever i try to access the server, i just get a blank page, even with no page title.
The apache2 error.log says:
Quote:
PHP Fatal error:
Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Unable to open database: unable to open database file' in /var/www/calibre/db.php:160\nStack
trace:
\n#0 /var/www/calibre/db.php(160): SQLite3->__construct('/eBooks/metadat...', 1)
\n#1 /var/www/calibre/db.php(195): MySQLite->open('/eBooks/metadat...')
\n#2 /var/www/calibre/index.php(51): CalDatabase->__construct('/eBooks')
\n#3 {main}\n thrown in /var/www/calibre/db.php on line 160
I thought the Calibre-Directory could not be readable, but it actually is... When i copied it and chowned it fot apache user, nothing changed.

I have no idea how to solve this problem, i hope you can help me...

Thanks for this cool feature anyway, i can't wait getting it run...

maybe the phpinfo can help you to find out if something is missing in my php configuration:
phpinfo.php (only available when server is running, sorry )
Eibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #182
hekom
hekom began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy 10.1
hello @all

After choosing 'Authors', I would like to see a selection screen on the first letter of the author's name.

So I have to change catergory.tpl ?
Do you have any tips for me ?
hekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #183
ambrose007
ambrose007 began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300, Kindle Fire
not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but is there away to capture the webpages that the server outputs so i can access it from other computers on my network without having to run the server all the time?
ambrose007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #184
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrose007 View Post
not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but is there away to capture the webpages that the server outputs so i can access it from other computers on my network without having to run the server all the time?
Sort of defeats the purpose of the server.
Instead, you want to create a 'Catalog' (small arrow on Convert icon)

Choices are EPUB, Mobi or CSV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #185
ambrose007

server listing

I tried the the catalog route but it does not allow you to download from the file it creates and that is what i am looking for. I know thats what the server is is for but why run the server when i am just doing it on my local network
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #186
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried the the catalog route but it does not allow you to download from the file it creates and that is what i am looking for. I know thats what the server is is for but why run the server when i am just doing it on my local network
The 'Catalog' is a Book (File). It needs to be exported when done.

You create it, then Save to Disk (any attached disk)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #187
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The 'Catalog' is a Book (File). It needs to be exported when done.

You create it, then Save to Disk (any attached disk)
I think what the poster wants is to be able launch ebook files directly from the "Catalog". I reckon what he actually wants is something similar to calibre2opds but instead of outputting OPDS it would output simple HTML files viewable via web browser.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #188
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I think what the poster wants is to be able launch ebook files directly from the "Catalog". I reckon what he actually wants is something similar to calibre2opds but instead of outputting OPDS it would output simple HTML files viewable via web browser.
But he want to leave the server OFF
Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #189
ambrose007

Here is what i am trying to do i like the way the server creates the pages that would allow you to connect to the webserver and download the book from the current library since i gives you formated pages with the cover art and what not the. I would like to be able to navigate to that say index.html file on my network machine and be able to do a direct download from said page to my kindle fire through its silk browser. I also would like to not have to keep the server running which if the paths are all created with in the html docs the server creates it should be posible.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #190
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I would like to be able to navigate to that say index.html file on my network machine and be able to do a direct download from said page to my kindle fire through its silk browser. I also would like to not have to keep the server running which if the paths are all created with in the html docs the server creates it should be posible.
I'll be the first to admit my ignorance in this area. If I understand you correctly, you want to serve up pages / books without calibre content server or Apache server running? You might want to check out the Calibre2OPDS feature described here.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #191
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'll be the first to admit my ignorance in this area. If I understand you correctly, you want to serve up pages / books without calibre content server or Apache server running? You might want to check out the Calibre2OPDS feature described here.
Didn't realize calibre2opds now does HTML output. Good to know.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #192
ambrose007

woohoo i had just installed calibre2opds and found it worked perfectly so was coming back to post thank you all for your help!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #193
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
FWIW: the calibre php server already has multiple users and per-user access restrictions built in.
Need a bit of help. I've already set-up calibre_php_server and added some users. My question is how do you set-up per-user access restriction?

e.g.
  • admin: complete access (well, read-only obviously, so as not to mess up the Calibre DB)
  • user(s): view/download rights, selected material only (assume there's a custom column specifying allowed users or a saved search per user)
  • guest: browse only (no download), selected material only

Or would I need to create my own scripts for this?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #194
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Need a bit of help. I've already set-up calibre_php_server and added some users. My question is how do you set-up per-user access restriction?

e.g.
  • admin: complete access (well, read-only obviously, so as not to mess up the Calibre DB)
  • user(s): view/download rights, selected material only (assume there's a custom column specifying allowed users or a saved search per user)
  • guest: browse only (no download), selected material only

Or would I need to create my own scripts for this?
You restrict what books a user can see using the 'restrict_display_to' configuration variable. In your case it would be an array. For example, something like the following would work for three people: admin, kid1, and kid2. My assumption is that #accesscol is a multiple-item text column, which permits any given book to have multiple access rights.
Code:
$config['restrict_display_to'] = array('admin'=> '', 'kid1' => '#accesscol:=kid1', 'kid2' => '#accesscol:=kid2');
You can use any search as the value for array cell. The empty search means 'no restriction'. This server does not support using calibre's saved searches, so you will need to enter the search expression.

I haven't implemented the ability to browse but not download. It wouldn't be very hard, but I wonder about the use case. Is there a strong reason to give someone access to metadata without access to the underlying formats?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #195
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
You restrict what books a user can see using the 'restrict_display_to' configuration variable. In your case it would be an array. For example, something like the following would work for three people: admin, kid1, and kid2. My assumption is that #accesscol is a multiple-item text column, which permits any given book to have multiple access rights.
Code:
$config['restrict_display_to'] = array('admin'=> '', 'kid1' => '#accesscol:=kid1', 'kid2' => '#accesscol:=kid2');
You can use any search as the value for array cell. The empty search means 'no restriction'. This server does not support using calibre's saved searches, so you will need to enter the search expression.
Thanks! Would the following work?
Code:
$config['restrict_display_to'] = array('admin'=> '', 'user1' => '#user:=all or #user:=user1', 'user2' => '#user:=all or #user:=user2');
Quote:
I haven't implemented the ability to browse but not download. It wouldn't be very hard, but I wonder about the use case. Is there a strong reason to give someone access to metadata without access to the underlying formats?
Strong reason, not really. Although, it would certainly be nice to have (e.g. guest account or when I want to browse my collection using a public computer).

P.S.
Special request, would it be possible to add a configuration for preferred book name? For example, instead of Artemis_Fowl___Eoin_Colfer.epub, you can set it to Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl.epub ({author} - {title}). If that's too much hassle, even retaining the default calibre name of Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer.epub would be fine, too. Thanks!

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.