Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #61
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
O.K. changes galore.

Currently
Lenovo A1 with 2GB for 239USD (was 199USD)
Lenovo A1 with 16GB for 249USD (still 249USD)

2GB one black case only
16GB one black and white cases.

Blue and Pink case not available right now.

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/lenovo...ps-to-229.html
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #62
Lula Ribeiro
Lula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of lightLula Ribeiro is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Still no A1 models available at lenovo website.
Lula Ribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Someone just pointed this out to me:

So, there are pictures and descriptions, but you can't buy it. Just last night you could customize and checkout with a November ship date. What the heck is going on?
Either they are re-evaluating their pricing or possible re-thinking their product line.

Maybe a bit like the HP Tablet, but a earlier in the game. This part of the industry is the fastest-moving, changing target at the moment and requires quick-change on the parts of the manufacturers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #64
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Either they are re-evaluating their pricing or possible re-thinking their product line.

Maybe a bit like the HP Tablet, but a earlier in the game. This part of the industry is the fastest-moving, changing target at the moment and requires quick-change on the parts of the manufacturers.
I'm getting happier and happier that I gave up on the A1 (though I really liked the specs and price) and went for a more expensive tablet that was available *now*....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #65
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Hmm. I bit a couple of days ago, because I talked the rep into giving me the 16GB for the 2GB price, and because it would do all the things I wanted at a swallowable (new word!) price point, without having to root or get tricky with it. I've also discovered, through my work-owned tablet, the e-reading on a higher resolution is by far more enjoyable than the 800Xwhatever specs on budget laptops. I don't need multi-core processors, nor can I afford them, so I'm pretty satisfied with the specs. My Coby pales in comparison, and I was happy with it until it died.

I won't be charged until it ships, so if they cancel on me or something, then I'll just wait for the holiday sales to happen. I wonder if the pull from the website has anything to do with people complaining that the base model is 2GB instead of 8GB and they're rethinking their decision? They'd be a Fire smotherer if they went with the original 8GB for $199.

Or maybe they had to pause on orders because they are in back-order mode on pre-orders?
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #66
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I won't be charged until it ships, so if they cancel on me or something, then I'll just wait for the holiday sales to happen. I wonder if the pull from the website has anything to do with people complaining that the base model is 2GB instead of 8GB and they're rethinking their decision? They'd be a Fire smotherer if they went with the original 8GB for $199.
If they had the same storage as the Fire, at the same price, and with all the extras like GPS and SD cards that the Fire doesn't have, they would still be outsold by the Kindle Fire by a bare minimum of 10-1, and probably much higher than that.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #67
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. I bit a couple of days ago, because I talked the rep into giving me the 16GB for the 2GB price, and because it would do all the things I wanted at a swallowable (new word!) price point, without having to root or get tricky with it. I've also discovered, through my work-owned tablet, the e-reading on a higher resolution is by far more enjoyable than the 800Xwhatever specs on budget laptops. I don't need multi-core processors, nor can I afford them, so I'm pretty satisfied with the specs. My Coby pales in comparison, and I was happy with it until it died.

Or maybe they had to pause on orders because they are in back-order mode on pre-orders?
Some conjecture that Russia and China markets, which were the first to get Lenovo A1 sales, were very brisk.
The 2GB, 199USD tablet was never intended for the USA market.
I think the influx of orders made them rethink their price for the 2GB.

Still the 16GB was intended for the US, and I will be interested to see what that sells for at Amazon.

I also noted that the K1 Ideapad was reduced from 449USD to 330USD at Best Buy for 2 days, and then went up to 349USD so there are some price moves.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I also noted that the K1 Ideapad was reduced from 449USD to 330USD at Best Buy for 2 days, and then went up to 349USD so there are some price moves.
Not enough for me. The max I'll pay for a tablet is $250.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #69
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Quote:
If they had the same storage as the Fire, at the same price, and with all the extras like GPS and SD cards that the Fire doesn't have, they would still be outsold by the Kindle Fire by a bare minimum of 10-1, and probably much higher than that.
If Lenovo is smart, they'll do some heavy marketing on the fact that they have Market and Netflix and Fire doesn't. I don't know if they can really put a Big Brother spin on Amazon's Silk browser, but if they could push the fact users won't be in a walled garden, that might get some casual consumers' attentions, because a lot of them won't realize what the Fire entails. Of course, we don't everything about the Fire yet, so the walled garden might not be as high as Negative Nelly might assume.

I don't think Lenovo A1 will outsell Fire. There just isn't the presence or exposure for that, plus some people will just see the price or simply not care that Amazon's in control. But I think if they played their cards right, Lenovo could eat into Fire's sales. I used "smotherer" as a cheap word ploy ;-) It's Friday, cutesy can do bad things.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #70
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
If Lenovo is smart, they'll do some heavy marketing on the fact that they have Market and Netflix and Fire doesn't.
From a straight competition standpoint one would think Amazon would leave Netflix out, but Netflix streaming is such a huge deal for tablet users that Amazon would be wise to accept it, as did Apple despite their iTunes store, unless their own streaming service has some kind of explosive inventory growth at or shortly after launch. I don't think we know yet one way or the other.

Biggest thing I see hurting the Lenovo is the CPU. Joe Average consumers may not know or care about there differences between OMAP3 and OMAP4, but they understand "dual-core." The Fire is gonna be a straight media consumption leisure device. The A1 has more functionality for productivity/active use, due to the cam/gps/sd slot...

For general apps, reading magazines and social networking, the A1's ARM8 is fine. Anyone looking to play games beyond Angry Birds would likely not compromise the Fire's OMAP4/SGX540gpu for an OMAP3 with a camera. imo. That's assuming my info is accurate.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 10-16-2011 at 08:42 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #71
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
From a straight competition standpoint one would think Amazon would leave Netflix out, but Netflix streaming is such a huge deal for tablet users that Amazon would be wise to accept it, as did Apple despite their iTunes store, unless their own streaming service has some kind of explosive inventory growth at or shortly after launch. I don't think we know yet one way or the other.

Biggest thing I see hurting the Lenovo is the CPU. Joe Average consumers may not know or care about there differences between OMAP3 and OMAP4, but they understand "dual-core." The Fire is gonna be a straight media consumption leisure device. The A1 has more functionality for productivity/active use, due to the cam/gps/sd slot...

For general apps, reading magazines and social networking, the A1's ARM8 is fine. Anyone looking to play games beyond Angry Birds would likely not compromise the Fire's OMAP4/SGX540gpu for an OMAP3 with a camera. imo. That's assuming my info is accurate.
I thought I read on one of the threads here at MR that Amazon's VP of Kindle was in talks with Netflix regarding the App. This was just what someone posted. I haven't read anything in the news or such.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #72
frahse
occasional author

Both the Amazon Fire and the Lenovo A1 have strengths and they both overlap each other in function. I find it easier to look at the weaknesses of each to really differentiate them.

Weakness (relative to the other tablet)
Kindle Fire to Lenovo A1
on board storage
(Fire) 6GB max; (Lenovo A1) 2+32=34GB minimum to 32+32GB=64GB max.
CPU for Video Rendition- Fire is better (will it be noticeable normally) probably not
Screen- Fire is better, but question if noticeable at normal viewing angles.
General Market availability Lenovo A1 is better normally. Fire can be made better with user intervention
Cloud - Hard to see a difference since the Kindle App can go on the Lenovo, but that remains to be seen. As far as storage in a cloud other than Amazon, there are plenty of options, free like Amazon and for cost also like Amazon.

Besides memory plus microSD, the Lenovo shines with extra hardware gems.
GPS (internal, none of that WiFi or Cellular tower assistance)
USB(OTG)
2 Camera,
Mic
Bluetooth 2.1
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #73
mrblanche
mrblanche has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrblanche has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrblanche has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 1st gen, Nook 1st edition, Nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but selling at massively below production cost is hardly a "winning strategy" for most companies .
It worked for Milo Minderbinder....

(I wouldn't try that reference in a non-literary crowd!)
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #74
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Didn't work for me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #75
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Didn't work for me.
You are probably not old enough to have read the book when it first came out
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote