Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Sony Reader Store $10 Certificate - Ended :(

I got an email from Sony Reader Store this morning:

Thanks for helping us reach 10 Million eBook Downloads!

As of May 5, book lovers have downloaded more than 10 million ebooks from Reader™ Store.
In celebration, all accounts with an eBook purchase from Reader Store on May 5, 2010 will receive a $10 credit valid for future eBook purchases at the store.*

And it had a code that indeed gave me a $10 credit. Funny thing is I only "bought" books on 5/4 and 5/6 and they were freebies!

Still a nice gesture on their part. There's a book I've been eyeing that Sony has for $16 and amazon has for $9.99. Now I can get it. I hate buying books from amazon because you never know beforehand if they're mobi, which is okay, or topaz, which is not.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
It's easy to tell in the Amazon store - just download a sample to your computer first.

It's the B&N store that I hate - everything I get is in ereader format, yet others get (randomly, it seems) ereader or epub (which is what I want). There doesn't seem to be any place to set a preference and no indication anywhere of what you'll end up with.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Ok, I take back one thing -- I just downloaded an epub from B*N. Of course, I have no idea if I'll ever get another or why I did this time (but hope it stays as a default from now on). Now, if they would just stop charging me a penny for every free book I buy.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just checked my email and found the coupon also. I had downloaded the freebies, but still received the $10 coupon!

Very nice. I just added it to my account, but didn't buy anything yet (well, I did pick up a couple of new freebies).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Me too! I downloaded freebies on the 5th and thought I wouldn't get it because I didn't 'buy' a book. I downloaded a freebie. But I got the coupon and was very happy to get it too!!

One thing though - it expires on 12/31/2010. Take note of that.

The Sony Reader gift cards don't expire but that coupon does.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Me too! I downloaded freebies on the 5th and thought I wouldn't get it because I didn't 'buy' a book. I downloaded a freebie. But I got the coupon and was very happy to get it too!!

One thing though - it expires on 12/31/2010. Take note of that.

The Sony Reader gift cards don't expire but that coupon does.
The good thing is that the credit is used *before* gift card balances. I was worried about that, because I bought $200 in gift cards during the recent 40% off sale so had $200 of gift card money on my account. I bought a book however, and the credit was used up and a little of my gift card balance.

-Marcy
Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It's easy to tell in the Amazon store - just download a sample to your computer first.

It's the B&N store that I hate - everything I get is in ereader format, yet others get (randomly, it seems) ereader or epub (which is what I want). There doesn't seem to be any place to set a preference and no indication anywhere of what you'll end up with.
Thanks! I never thought of that. I just checked on the book I wanted and it was indeed in topaz format. Why can Sony have a perfectly fine epub and amazon offers only topaz?

I love amazon for almost everything, but I really think they shot themselves in the foot in the ebook department. My first two readers were Kindles but I only ever bought 4 books from them (before discovering mobileread) because I hated the fact that the books weren't really mine and if I ever bought a different brand of reader I wouldn't be able to use them. I've bought a couple more books from them after learning how to de-DRM, but they are definitely my purchase place of last resort.

-Marcy
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks a lot Sony. You reward people who buy on a particular day, but fail to reward people who buy reagulalry on other days.

I feel a class action law suit coming on...

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Funny, I don't remember buying anything on that date (or downloading anything that was free, either), but I received a code; it worked, too. Came in my email yesterday.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote