Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I need to vent! Booksonboard! Ugh!

I am so mad my head could explode. Since I cannot use the Sony book store on my computer. It just won't work for some reason, I went to BoB to buy a book. I purchased it and guess what, all I get for my money is a link to go to Sony's online bookstore to download the friggin book! Which I cannot do because my computer will not work on it!

Give me a friggin break!

Not the end of the world. I have only lost 7 bucks or so, but it is just the principle of the thing. Boy, my luck with this reader is starting to run out.

Just venting. I'll live. I'm just afaid that my options for getting ebooks for my 505 are running out as I am afraid now to buy a book from anywhere.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Send a message to BoB's Customer service. I've never run into this problem, but someone there might be able to help you.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think you must have Sony's eBL "associated" with the ePub filetype. Probably Sony did this automatically for you when eBL was installed. What you need is for the download to be handled by Desktop Adobe Digital Editions. The download is actually an .acsm file, which ADE uses to get the actual ePub for you. The web browser is seeing the .acsm file and is opening Sony eBL to process it - this isn't BoB's fault although they can probably tell you how to fix the problem.

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-15-2009 at 07:53 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
It's too hard to buy ebooks. Last one I got was from eReader.com, and at least that process of the actual sale was easy.

Converting it to run on my 505 was another story, but I got it there eventually.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Open Sony's Reader library, then download the book again. It just uses Sony's library program to register the file with ADE and to open it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the notes. As for opening the Reader software and download again, that is NOT an option as the Reader ebookstore software will not work on my computer. I have been on the phone with Sony support for over an hour and they are clueless. Got me on hold right now mulling it over. I will try the Adobe Digital Editions software thingy.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Mrgauth
Addict

Just got done with Sony Support. They gave up. They told me to contact my internet provider. Yeah right.

I think I'm done with this. I am going to format my hard drive and reload Windows. If that doesn't do it, I am selling the reader.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
You're going to reformat your hard drive because the Sony software doesn't work? That's like knocking out the front of your house because the window won't open.

I just bought a book from BoB, and their instructions for download are definitely inadequate. Try this: redownload, and when the dialog comes up asking if you want to save the file, click Open the file with Adobe Digital Editions. That'll get you your book.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
You're going to reformat your hard drive because the Sony software doesn't work? That's like knocking out the front of your house because the window won't open.

I just bought a book from BoB, and their instructions for download are definitely inadequate. Try this: redownload, and when the dialog comes up asking if you want to save the file, click Open the file with Adobe Digital Editions. That'll get you your book.
+++

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I shop at BonB all the time and have no problem. In fact I just logged into my account and tried to re-download one of my ePub purchases. Go to Bookshelf and click download under the book, make sure you have DigitalEdition software on your computer, choose ditigitaledition.exe after you hit download (Sony Reader Software is the default on my computer), it opens in the Digital Edition software instead of Sony. If it's already download on your computer, search for it and when you locate, right-click and do open with, and choose Digital Edition. I also re-download a book using my Sony software and used right-click, open with, and opened with the Digital Edition software.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I shop at BonB all the time and have no problem. In fact I just logged into my account and tried to re-download one of my ePub purchases. Go to Bookshelf and click download under the book, make sure you have DigitalEdition software on your computer, choose ditigitaledition.exe after you hit download (Sony Reader Software is the default on my computer), it opens in the Digital Edition software instead of Sony. If it's already download on your computer, search for it and when you locate, right-click and do open with, and choose Digital Edition. I also re-download a book using my Sony software and used right-click, open with, and opened with the Digital Edition software.
Good point Lilly. I'd forgotten that I purchased "South of Broad" - Pat Conroy there so just went and clicked download and it went to ADE as it did before installing the new Sony 3.1.....so bottom line here is it worked fine.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When installing the newest version of Sony's software it asks you if you want to associate .acsm files with it. I guess you said yes (which is the default IIRC)?

Instead of telling your browser to open the .acsm file download it to your computer then right click on it and select properties. You should see something that says "opens with". Click change and select Adobe Digital Editions instead of Sony's software.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #13
Mrgauth
Addict

There is just one problem with the suggestions to right click and tell my computer to open the file with ADE instead of the other. The problem being that I cannot get the file in the first place. If I could just get the stinking epub book file, that would something in itself.

1) Can't run Sony reader software.
2) Can't run ADE because on my home computer the Adobe ID will not work IN ADE even though I can login all day long with on Adobe's website. So, if I cannot login into ADE I cannot 'activate' my reader to it.

Damned either way. Got inquiries into BoB but they are scratching their head as well as Sony support.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
There is just one problem with the suggestions to right click and tell my computer to open the file with ADE instead of the other. The problem being that I cannot get the file in the first place. If I could just get the stinking epub book file, that would something in itself.

1) Can't run Sony reader software.
2) Can't run ADE because on my home computer the Adobe ID will not work IN ADE even though I can login all day long with on Adobe's website. So, if I cannot login into ADE I cannot 'activate' my reader to it.

Damned either way. Got inquiries into BoB but they are scratching their head as well as Sony support.
What OS are you on? If windows, when you click download the book on the BOB site it should pop up a window asking you what you want to do with it,

1. open it with XXXXX application
or
2. save it to disk.

Are you saying it's not doing that?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
If you cannot download and install ADE to activate your PC with an Adobe ID and you cannot download and install Sony's Reader Library to activate your your PC with an Adobe ID then you won't be able to open the .ascm file to download the ePub.

Can you explain what kind of error you get installing ADE or is it that ADE won't allow you to register your home computer with an existing Adobe ID?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote