Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I hope that iRex will improve the Mobi Reader app for this device - the one on the iLiad is pretty horrible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #17
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes, improving the mobi reader would be my number priority also. After that, something that would make better (well any!) use of the wifi. Some sort of sleep/instant on function would be terrific but I think I read someplace that isn’t possible with the current readers? (forgotten why and not sure I understood it at the time!)
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I hope that iRex will improve the Mobi Reader app for this device - the one on the iLiad is pretty horrible.
They've said that there will also be a new software announcement on Monday. Hopefully, it's the viewer framework they've been talking about. There have also been posts in the past on the mobipocket forums from their developers saying that they're working with iRex on a new Mobipocket application for the iLiad.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Very cool. But they'd better have some kind of suspend mode in this model. And an interface that can show more than 6 documents at once.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #20
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
What I read of this I think iRex figured the same, as I was thinking. There is a yet unused "high class market", they should settle on, and leave the "cheap" mass market to amazon and sony to fight over...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Offering a version without touch screen implies a major software change, as the content lister can't be accessed completely without the stylus. So let's hope for some really great improvements on the software side. Hopefully my current iLiad can profit from it too.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Offering a version without touch screen implies a major software change, as the content lister can't be accessed completely without the stylus. So let's hope for some really great improvements on the software side. Hopefully my current iLiad can profit from it too.
Just curious, what part of the content lister? You can use the up/down arrows and select button to move through the content lister and open books.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The buttons at the bottom, which allow (for example) editing the tags, can't be used without the stylus. Really, the iLiad loses a lot of functionality without the stylus.

It sure would be nice to see pressure-sensitivity supported, if they're going to stick with Wacom. This would make a great artist's sketch tablet if they did that. They also need a draw app.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
So, we have competition between Astak's 9,7" ereader and iRex's 10,2" one? What was the latest price estimation for Astak's?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
It's hard to believe that one will be 9.7 the other will be 10.2. I think it will be still a screen produced by PVI, we don't know the actual specs yet.

Why would you put effort in developing a 10.2 inch screen when PVI is also developing a 9.7, this doesn't make sense to me, but I can be wrong as well, let's see on monday.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathany View Post
Very interesting. There are 50 computer programming books sitting on my Mac in PDF format. I think they would like to be on an iRex Reader 1000. ^_^
Only if they upgrade the PDF software so you can search and actually see the contents bookmarks. At the moment the iLiad is a dead loss for using reference books.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
It's hard to believe that one will be 9.7 the other will be 10.2. I think it will be still a screen produced by PVI, we don't know the actual specs yet.

Why would you put effort in developing a 10.2 inch screen when PVI is also developing a 9.7, this doesn't make sense to me, but I can be wrong as well, let's see on monday.
Keep in mind that PVI builds the screens, they don't create the parts that are used to build it. Most screens today that are built by PVI use a eInk layer from Eink Corp, and a display controller developed by iRex. Even the Kindle/Sony (at least the 500), and others are using the 6" display controller that was developed by iRex.

iRex not only developed the 6" controller, but they also developed the unique 8.1" controller that the iLiads use. They had a deal that they were the only ones who could have PVI build them a screen using that controller. That's also why the iLiad is the only device with 16 shades. It's controlled by their unique display controller.

I don't know the details on the 9.7 and 10.2 controllers, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that something similar is going on. IE, iRex has created a unique 10.2 controller (in addition to the generic 9.7 one) that can only be used by PVI to build displays for the new iRex 1000 device.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The buttons at the bottom, which allow (for example) editing the tags, can't be used without the stylus. Really, the iLiad loses a lot of functionality without the stylus.
No doubt, but I don't think you can work around it with a software change. If you take away the stylus, then I think you'd take away the ability to edit tags. I don't see them making a software change that would somehow implement a keyboard without a touch screen. They would just do without that functionality on the non-touch screen model. IE, the "tags" icon would be grayed out.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Only if they upgrade the PDF software so you can search and actually see the contents bookmarks. At the moment the iLiad is a dead loss for using reference books.
Hopefully the new viewer framework (if that is what they're also announcing on Monday) will include bookmarks and searching. One of the main reasons they stated for redesigning the framework was so that they could more easily add this type of functionality as "plugins" for all document types.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #30
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Hopefully the new viewer framework (if that is what they're also announcing on Monday) will include bookmarks and searching. One of the main reasons they stated for redesigning the framework was so that they could more easily add this type of functionality as "plugins" for all document types.
Oh, I do hope so! (fingers crossed).

I could see the iLiad 1000 catching on with academics if it had decent search facilities. Being able to carry round all your text books, academic journals, and students' essays for marking would be rather useful.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote