Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #21301
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Yep, my regular UPS guy sprints to my door and back. The most impressive time I saw him do that was when he picked up a bulky 75 lb wheelchair ramp that I was returning and trotted with it back to the truck!
I think that they must have secret "UPS games" somewhere and are always training for them
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #21302
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I can NOT believe that I did this... I shot about 100 images on today's ride. Some of them came out very nicely too. I looked at them while they were on the memory card, then I began to process them in Photoshop. I shoot in the "Raw" format, and need to adjust levels, crop, etc., and then convert then into .tif format. I did 5 images, then broke for dinner. After dinner I sat down at the computer to finish the work, but notice that I had left the memory card still plugged into the card reader. I took it out, put it back into the camera, and as I always do, re-formatted the card, clearing it for the next days work. I went back to the computer, opened Photoshop, went to the drive where I saved the raw files... Oh oh... I didn't save the raw files. But I ALWAYS save the files before I work on them... Not this time. I was working on them and saving them back into the memory card... The same memory card that I just formatted... I can NOT believe that I did this to myself. Thank God there are recovery programs to protect fools such as me!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #21303
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yikes. That would seriously suck.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #21304
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Good grief! Doing tech support can be frustrating. Unpaid tech support even more so! I think I might need to take a break from helping clueless newbies at Alf's blog for a bit.

Well, once the latest one has finally worked out how to copy and paste, anyway.

Perhaps I just need more Coke Zero.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #21305
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Does Alf help with comic books or videos? I am starting too buy both online but want to protect my investment.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #21306
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Does Alf help with comic books or videos? I am starting too buy both online but want to protect my investment.
I think anything specific would need to be asked there. But I think I can say that, as far as I know, the tools at Alf's blog are only for ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #21307
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I can NOT believe that I did this... I shot about 100 images on today's ride. Some of them came out very nicely too. I looked at them while they were on the memory card, then I began to process them in Photoshop. I shoot in the "Raw" format, and need to adjust levels, crop, etc., and then convert then into .tif format. I did 5 images, then broke for dinner. After dinner I sat down at the computer to finish the work, but notice that I had left the memory card still plugged into the card reader. I took it out, put it back into the camera, and as I always do, re-formatted the card, clearing it for the next days work. I went back to the computer, opened Photoshop, went to the drive where I saved the raw files... Oh oh... I didn't save the raw files. But I ALWAYS save the files before I work on them... Not this time. I was working on them and saving them back into the memory card... The same memory card that I just formatted... I can NOT believe that I did this to myself. Thank God there are recovery programs to protect fools such as me!

Stitchawl
You poor baby! Missed one step in the process and whooska! Thanks for reminding us all to save copies across to the hard drive before we start anything.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #21308
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I managed to hurt my knee this week. First on Thursday, I probably twisted it and it hurt when going down stairs. It was gone yesterday until I decended a vertical ladder into an archeological excavation for last night's Museum Night (which was great btw). When climbing out I must have twisted it again, I felt it last night but this morning my knee was all seized up. Luckily no swelling so I hope by taking it easy it will go away soon.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #21309
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yikes. That would seriously suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
You poor baby! Missed one step in the process and whooska! Thanks for reminding us all to save copies across to the hard drive before we start anything.
Well, it took some digging, but I found my data recovery software, and although it took a couple of hours running it, I managed to get back all but five images. For some reason, I could recover all the .nef files but not the .tif files. I don't know why. But no problem... As long as I have the .nef files I can easily remake the .tif. It's just a good thing I realized the problem BEFORE I reused the card and overwrote the files. The camera formatting is 'quick format' so there was no corruption to the files. All is well in my world again...

Stitchawl
Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #21310
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Congrats on the recovery, Stitch. Deleting all your work sounds like something I'd do.

Correction: Deleting all your work sounds like something I've done. Except in my case, I accidentally wrote zeros to my backup drive after the hard drive failed. And now you know why I use Carbonite!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #21311
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Congrats on the recovery, Stitch. Deleting all your work sounds like something I'd do.

Correction: Deleting all your work sounds like something I've done. Except in my case, I accidentally wrote zeros to my backup drive after the hard drive failed. And now you know why I use Carbonite!

In this case Carbonite wouldn't have helped. I thought I already HAD transferred the images to my drives. That's usually the first thing I do; copy to my working drive and another copy to my backup. Immediately. Before I do anything else. Except this time... Instead I chose to look at them while they were still on the memory card. And I guess I got excited by one of the raw images and decided that I wanted to process it and see how it would come out. Then I did another and another and another... then stopped for dinner. When I came back to the computer, I 'knew' that I'd been processing pictures, so in my mind I thought I must have already made the copies, then noticed the card still plugged into the reader. I took it out, put it back into the camera and formatted it. Thank God for recovery tools!

Stitchawl
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 AM   #21312
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What kind of recovery tools do you use?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #21313
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What kind of recovery tools do you use?
In this case I used Sandisk Rescue Pro 3.0, but there is a newer version available. Easy to use, and works very well. Just point it at the drive and let it do its thing. Then just save what it finds to where ever you chose.

Stitchawl
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #21314
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I managed to hurt my knee this week. First on Thursday, I probably twisted it and it hurt when going down stairs. It was gone yesterday until I decended a vertical ladder into an archeological excavation for last night's Museum Night (which was great btw). When climbing out I must have twisted it again, I felt it last night but this morning my knee was all seized up. Luckily no swelling so I hope by taking it easy it will go away soon.
Ouch!! You might want some aspirin to relieve the swelling too?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #21315
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ouch!! You might want some aspirin to relieve the swelling too?
Luckily no swelling this time. It's still a bit sore today, but only when going down stairs and after I sit still for a long time, when I move about the pain disappears. Unfortunately I can't avoid stairs in this house (13 if you count the 3 and 4 step stairs) but hopefully it'll heal within the next couple of days.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness