Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
scaryjones
scaryjones began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
New PW 2 owner - Question

I've recently bought a wifi PW2, upgrading from a Nook ST. I love the PW and I love being able to send books to my Kindle just by emailing them.

I'm still finding some things confusing though, like what is WhisperNet and WhisperSync, are they the same thing?

More importantly though I read previously about there being a charge associated with emailing books to your account but I don't appear to have been charged for anything I've sent. Is this a 3G only thing, my Kindle is Wifi only which suits me fine?

And finally, being based in Europe I've no idea if I should be getting the latest software upgrade or even how it's applied, does it happen OTA without any input from me?
scaryjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no charge for anything with WiFi. Charges only relate to 3G.

You will get the software update automatically at some point, but it may take weeks or even months. You can install it manually if you wish by downloading the ".bin" file from Amazon and copying it to the root directory of the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
WhisperSync is just Amazon's name for their syncing service which basically keeps a record of where you are at in a book on your devices and apps so that you can pick up the book on another device and resume from where you ended on the other.

And I could have sworn that WhisperNet was the cellular component that gave you access to Amazon services over cell networks. Can't remember for sure though. It may refer to something larger than that.

Last edited by Anthem; 11-20-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Whispernet was used with the 3G version but I have not heard that term used since the WiFi variants came out. I think some international folks still get charged for 3G purchases but I am not sure about that. Emailing books to your account should be free though
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Whispernet refers to connectivity to tha Amazon servers, whether through 3G or wi-fi.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I email myself books all the time to the @free.kindle.com address (it has to be through @kindle.com to be charged) and it gets saved to my online documents, and then I can download with WiFi or 3G, and I've never been charged.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
This means that anytime I buy a book from one such as Baen I can email it to my kindle? I believe my kindle paperwhite shows the email address in the settings.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
This means that anytime I buy a book from one such as Baen I can email it to my kindle? I believe my kindle paperwhite shows the email address in the settings.
Yes...Baen actually lists the option right in the list of "My Books", and has for quite some time.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote