Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 8 15.09%
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurk Vonnegut 22 41.51%
Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres 2 3.77%
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton 6 11.32%
Life of Pi by Yann Marte 2 3.77%
Ask the Dust (1939) by John Fante 0 0%
The Help by Kathryn Stockett 6 11.32%
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh 3 5.66%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 0 0%
Hounded by Kevin Hearne 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #61
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
by the time I was half way through I wanted to smack the author every time i read "so it goes.."
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
by the time I was half way through I wanted to smack the author every time i read "so it goes.."
When the book is finished, so it goes out and stays out. It's really annoying.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #63
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jon, you're slipping. I made the mistake on purpose to see how long it would take you to see it.
He also missed this mistake:
"Life of Pi by Yann Marte"
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #64
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I kind of like having it popping up all the time. Don't know why, but I did!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Yeah I'm the same. I liked it too.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
He also missed this mistake:
"Life of Pi by Yann Marte"
That one is unimportant as it didn't win.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is there anyone here who has read Slaughterhouse-Five and actually enjoyed it? Not just OK or not bad. But truly enjoyed it.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #68
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I enjoyed it. I had read a few other Vonnegut books prior to Slaughterhouse. I would always admit that Vonnegut's writing may not appeal to everyone and he can seem disjointed at times. But I like his wit and his view of things.

I'm going to talk a bit on "so it goes" here:
Spoiler:

As far as the "so it goes" and Billy's character it's got a lot to do with dismissing the terrible things that go on around him. As someone on another board stated, it's kind of like saying "shit happens" when we can't really explain why. For Billy, to me, it's like a nervous twitch and the frequent repetition reminds us of how much shit was going on and how much Billy is forced to push away emotionally for his own sanity (or lack thereof depending on how you view Billy).

You aren’t enjoying the book JSWolf, so it goes.

I don't mean any disrespect by saying that. I have valued your opinion a lot in the short time I've been around the forum and I look forward to you continually challenging our conceptions on value.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not going to stop reading and I do hope it gets better. But the way they got into Billy's store was very disjointed. I liked the bit before we got to Billy's story. Then we got to Billy and it's fallen flat so far.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #70
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I enjoyed it, though not as much as Cat's Cradle.

I think the point is that death is so common that it only rates a "so it goes," at least in the Tralfamadorian philosophy and to many of the warmakers. It seems to be at odds with the view of the narrator.

And sometimes the phrase is used comically.

"
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yeah I'm the same. I liked it too.
I think the book, with it's constant repetition of the phrase, "So it goes," is a lot more enjoyable if you consider it as a sort of prose/poetry hybrid. Think of the phrase as a lyrical device, a motif, a chorus or refrain, if you will, then sit back and let the dark music wash over you.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-18-2011 at 01:32 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #72
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think the book, with it's constant repetition of the phrase, "So it goes," is a lot more enjoyable if you consider it as a sort of prose/poetry hybrid. Think of the phrase as a lyrical device, a motif, a chorus or refrain, if you will, then sit back and let the dark music wash over you.
I think my biggest complaint about the book is that I could of cared less what happened to any of the characters in it, it didn't really feel like there was much of a plot or story at all. There seemed to be no point to the book, not trying to degrade a book I know many people love, I just didn't get it...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For right now, it feels like a poor man's Quantum Leap.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I think my biggest complaint about the book is that I could of cared less what happened to any of the characters in it, it didn't really feel like there was much of a plot or story at all....
That's the exact way I felt for the first third of the book. The characters didn't feel real, and I felt no empathy with them. Then they began to take on flesh and become real people. By the novel's end, I felt very much involved in their lives, especially Billy Pilgrim's, who was really, according to Kurt Vonnegut, Edward R. Crone, Jr. Crone was a young man whose gentle temperament was completely unsuited for military life, and who died in Dresden of what Vonnegut says was known as the "thousand mile stare"; that is, he would sit with his back to the wall in a catatonic state and wouldn't talk, wouldn't eat, and the Germans would not help him.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It has gotten better. It seems less silly and there is less "so it goes" being used.