Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfu (spoilers)

So, what did you all think?

I am still reading it so will be skipping this thread until I am done with it.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I'm not a fan of SciFi in general. So when this book came up as a book club choice I went into it kicking and screaming. I finished it in a weekend! Absolutely couldn't put it down! I bought the second one within minutes of it becoming available. Not quite as great, but still thoroughly enjoyable. Now just keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't take another few years to finish the series.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I am also abstaining from the thread, for now. I enjoyed the first chapter so much that I immediately went looking for the 2nd book, but it was out of my price range. So this has been placed on my TBR until such time I can get the 2nd and possibly the 3rd.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am busy at work at the moment. I enjoyed the book, but I am not 'head over heels' about it. Here is what I wrote on GoodReads after I finished it, since I don't have time now to post new thoughts:

I had fun reading this book. The author does a very good job at keeping the reader's attention, with the right plot twists and surprises lurking around the corner. Yet, there are some elements of the book I disliked.

For example - the way the plot keeps coming back to the main character's lack of money. He's poor. He can't afford school. I get it. The first time. Really, I appreciate the way the author tries to build a 'realistic' fantasy world. But if I wanted to think about tuition problems, I would not be reading a fantasy book...

Or his petty conflicts with another student. Just doesn't seem to sit well with the rest of the book. The main character is presented as hard-driven, very motivated - but then he keeps returning to petty squabbles with his a fellow schoolmate...

On the other side, I found the main character to be well developed, 'three-dimensional'. I don't agree with many other commentators who seem to see him as excessively arrogant and unlikable.

Also, as a side note - the epub version of the book I read had multiple spelling and formatting errors and a few word omissions. Clearly not well proofed.

Overall, I liked the story enough so that I have already purchased the next book - and I am looking forward to reading it. But defining Rothfuss 'the next Tolkien', as many have, is preposterous. He is a good writer, the story is intriguing, the world interesting - and somehow original. Yet, this book does not have the epic grandeur of The Lord of the Rings. The more appropriate comparison I have heard is defining this book as "Harry Potter for adults".
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Overall, I liked the story enough so that I have already purchased the next book - and I am looking forward to reading it. But defining Rothfuss 'the next Tolkien', as many have, is preposterous. He is a good writer, the story is intriguing, the world interesting - and somehow original. Yet, this book does not have the epic grandeur of The Lord of the Rings. The more appropriate comparison I have heard is defining this book as "Harry Potter for adults". [/I]
I've never managed to make it through Tolkien, despite several attempts, so I can't compare. I read this book in March, and here's a portion of what I wrote:

Quote:
A young (but very special) boy goes on adventures. Sometimes he loses, sometimes he kicks ass, but it's rarely predictable. Writing reminded me of Robin Hobb in it's detail and slow pace, and of course the University reminds me fleetingly of the magical Hogwarts from Harry Potter.
So I have to agree with you on the Harry Potter for adults Or perhaps Wizard of Earthsea (if that book weren't so one-dimensional).

I grew a bit tired of how Kvothe was always trying to find tuition money, but frankly, I spent a great deal of my time as a college student with similar issues, so it resonated with me.

The part that's killing me: where are the scrael?! These nasty little buggers drew me in during the first part of the book, and they haven't (yet) been heard from. I want to know more about the scrael!

After finishing Kingkiller 1, I promptly read Kingkiller 2 and loved it as well. The only negative thing I have to say about book 2 is that there's an extended scene in the fairy world that doesn't fit the flow of the narrative at all, and it draaaaags. But despite the poor pacing in that one area, the second book was also a solid and enjoyable read.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I've never managed to make it through Tolkien, despite several attempts, so I can't compare. I read this book in March, and here's a portion of what I wrote:

So I have to agree with you on the Harry Potter for adults Or perhaps Wizard of Earthsea (if that book weren't so one-dimensional).

I grew a bit tired of how Kvothe was always trying to find tuition money, but frankly, I spent a great deal of my time as a college student with similar issues, so it resonated with me.

The part that's killing me: where are the scrael?! These nasty little buggers drew me in during the first part of the book, and they haven't (yet) been heard from. I want to know more about the scrael!

After finishing Kingkiller 1, I promptly read Kingkiller 2 and loved it as well. The only negative thing I have to say about book 2 is that there's an extended scene in the fairy world that doesn't fit the flow of the narrative at all, and it draaaaags. But despite the poor pacing in that one area, the second book was also a solid and enjoyable read.
I purchased the second book, but haven't gone around to reading it. Funny thing is, I keep hearing about the (sex-filled?) scene in the fairy world - you are not the only one who thinks it drags, apparently.

And yes, I am curious about the scrael. I think that's the strong point of the story - and it's sadly undeveloped in the first book.

And I am convinced the author had tuition-money problems as well. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder

To some extent, it seems to me this book had the potential to be truly epic - but it needed a couple more revisions and possibly a serious editor. There are just some edges to be smoothed, the basic ingredients are there - and the writing is not bad, for fantasy standards.

I am glad I read it, will keep reading the series. But I am not enthusiastic.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am also abstaining from the thread, for now. I enjoyed the first chapter so much that I immediately went looking for the 2nd book, but it was out of my price range. So this has been placed on my TBR until such time I can get the 2nd and possibly the 3rd.
Try your local library's eBooks and if they do not have #2, request it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try your local library's eBooks and if they do not have #2, request it.
My local library does not have any e-books. I asked less than a month ago. In fact, my county doesn't have e-books.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
To some extent, it seems to me this book had the potential to be truly epic - but it needed a couple more revisions and possibly a serious editor.
I can agree with that. I enjoy long-winded fantasy, but there are definite areas in this book that could be streamlined.

Quote:
and the writing is not bad, for fantasy standards.
Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa whoa. This is no longer the era of Piers Anthony. Take it back!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My local library does not have any e-books. I asked less than a month ago. In fact, my county doesn't have e-books.
Alachua County Library District
Broward County Library
Jacksonville Public Library
Lee County Library System
LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library System
Manatee
Orange County Library System
Pinellas Public Library Cooperative
Tampa Bay Library Consortium
Winter Park Public Library

Those are all the library systems in Florida that have #2. You can most likely join at least one of them since you do live in Florida.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Alachua County Library District
Broward County Library
Jacksonville Public Library
Lee County Library System
LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library System
Manatee
Orange County Library System
Pinellas Public Library Cooperative
Tampa Bay Library Consortium
Winter Park Public Library

Those are all the library systems in Florida that have #2. You can most likely join at least one of them since you do live in Florida.
How kind of you to look all of that up.

We can not sign up for a library card out of county; you must be a resident of the county. Some library systems, like Osceola, will sell you a library card (Theirs is a $25.00 annual fee), but the card holder would still have to go there in person. Other counties will only allow non-resident students to get a library card.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
We can not sign up for a library card out of county; you must be a resident of the county. Some library systems, like Osceola, will sell you a library card (Theirs is a $25.00 annual fee), but the card holder would still have to go there in person. Other counties will only allow non-resident students to get a library card.
The Alachua County Library will let any Floridian have a card for free, but the catch is that you do have to show up in person to get it. I don't know how close you are to Gainesville.

I was lucky, I got a card from Alachua before they adopted a geographic restriction and I've got more than two years to go before I'll be verified. It's a pretty good library, so depending on where you are, it might be worth a road trip. Once you get the card, it'll be good for three years.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Alachua County Library will let any Floridian have a card for free, but the catch is that you do have to show up in person to get it. I don't know how close you are to Gainesville.

I was lucky, I got a card from Alachua before they adopted a geographic restriction and I've got more than two years to go before I'll be verified. It's a pretty good library, so depending on where you are, it might be worth a road trip. Once you get the card, it'll be good for three years.
Hmmm, well I'd have to find an add'l reason for going as I'm a good 5 hours from there, unfortunately, but that is great to know. Thank you very much for the info.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How kind of you to look all of that up.

Um... How can you go to a library in person to download eBooks? That's not possible. They don't allow it. But yes, the $25 fee is worth it to get access to free eBooks.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Um... How can you go to a library in person to download eBooks? That's not possible. They don't allow it. But yes, the $25 fee is worth it to get access to free eBooks.
I assume Nyssa meant she'd have to go to the library to get the card, so it has to be a nearby county. Unlike Alachua, unfortunately. But yes, it's worth $25 for a card, so long as it doesn't involve a tankful or more of gas as well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote