Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
New CyanogenMod lets you control the Android app permissions.

The ability to select the security settings per app was one one of the features in BB that I missed when I moved from BB to Android.

Right now the only security option you have with Android is All or nothing. CyanogenMod is changing that by providing the user the ability to select what securities are allowed not allowed.

Video an link below
=X=

Read the link for more info.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Looks like a very good feature.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I like the concept behind google's permissions setup, but I think the implementation has been poor. Hit the Chrome extensions area and there are tons of comments about "why does it need access to scaryblahthing?!?" when the extension author hasn't really done anything intrusive. The permission categories are just so broad.

I do like the idea of being able customize which permissions an app gets. But even though the cyanogen user base is relatively small and more advanced than android users at large, I bet there are going to be ton of annoying app support requests about why the app doesn't work (like people will read the caveat before enabling). "Well, because you disabled access to blah, that's why." I feel for app developers.

Last edited by Marseille; 05-29-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
As soon as Htc unlocks the bootloader in my Aria (lost root when I upgraded to froyo), I plan on flashing Cyanogen
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
since this is not a Google feature but one built into Cyanogen I don't foresee to many support issues. users are the ones who are activating thus feature.

however if Google fluid implement this feature, i would expect them to implement something similar to BlackBerry.

if I recall the behavior, if a user disables a feature an app needs the app pops up asking the user to enable that security feature.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
android, cyanogenmod