Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon

Dorchester Publishing has put a lot of Jack Ketchum and Richard Laymon books out in e-book editions (nook, Kindle, and maybe others) -- and has placed many of them on sale for $2.99.

I am currently reading Jack Ketchum's Joyride because it was $2.99 and sounded interesting. I also bought one or two Richard Laymon books. However, it's hard to figure out which ones to buy, especially the Laymon books. Even fans can't agree on which ones are good. I try to read the reviews, but "professional" reviews (such as PW and Booklist) aren't available for all the titles, and some of the reader reviews amount to "This sucks because it's violent."
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is good news.

I love both authors, especially for their gruesomeness and wonderful "sicko" humor - especially the adolescent category, which is wonderfully prevalent in Laymon's work.

I find both to be very enjoyable writers.

It's unfortunate that Laymon is no longer with us.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
cool

I just read Joyride in paper a couple of months ago. Some Keene is $2.99, too. Leisure is leading the way on affordable backlist--look for other publishers to follow--about the time some of them are going out of business.

Scott Nicholson
http://www.hauntedcomputer.com
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
MrEcko
MrEcko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Richard Laymon novels

I've only read two Laymon books. The Woods are Dark and I just finished reading Night in the Lonesome October. When I read The Woods I was impressed by the way that Laymon was able to build a suspenseful story while also throwing in great action and tons of nice sex scenes. That was enough to get me to look for more of his novels so I found October and now that I'm done reading it I have to say it was one of the greatest books I've ever read. What actually impressed me most was the masterful way that Laymon was able to develop both the protagonist and the side characters. The characters Ed and Casey impressed me most of all. And despite doing all that he was still able to fit in all the good suspense and sex that I loved from The Woods.

To cut to the point: What I'm asking for is suggestions for any other Richard Laymon novels that are able to also fit in the great points that Night in the Lonesome October had. Great character development, suspense, and the sex.
MrEcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
You might like:
Flesh
Darkness, Tell Us
Blood Games
Endless Night
The Cellar
The Beast House
The Midnight Tour
After Midnight
In The Dark
Come Out Tonight
The Traveling Vampire Show,
and Funland
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I really liked Laymon's The Island, The Travelling Vampire Show and Darkness Tell Us.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

My favorite Jack Ketchum books are:
Off Season,
Offspring,
Hide and Seek, and
The Girl Next Door.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
MrEcko
MrEcko began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sweet. Thanks for those recommendations. Also I had never heard of Jack Ketchum until now. I think I'll check out a few of his books as well. Could anybody tell me how Ketchum compares to Laymon in terms of the amount of sex and violence?
MrEcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
NightLight
Banned

Off Season, Offspring and Hide and Seek are a match for Laymon in the areas of sex and violence.

The Lost is another Ketchum book that fits the criteria.

The Girl Next Door is a fictional account of a true child abuse case and very gutwrenching..
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLight View Post
Off Season, Offspring and Hide and Seek are a match for Laymon in the areas of sex and violence.

The Lost is another Ketchum book that fits the criteria.

The Girl Next Door is a fictional account of a true child abuse case and very gutwrenching..
I own The Girl Next Door, it was the one book I got really pissed about and almost didn't finish it. One book that will be with me forever, and I don't want it there.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Jack Ketchum's Red is a very beautifully written short novel about an old man, his dog, and revenge. Of his books, it's my favorite, although rather different than his others.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dorchester