Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1276
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozr View Post
still want to know password of root
http://members.ping.de/~sven/kindle.html?# doesn't work for me

or i need to write a custom made diag using fastboot,
----------------------------
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2290044
Rescue Pack for Paperwhite and Touch

does it work for me?

-----------------------------
proc /self/fd/9: line 27: /etc/init.d/rcS: not found
init.exe: rc-sysinit main process (627) terminated with status 127

can i enable usbnet by default?
The root password given by that web page is your ORIGINAL password for your main partition, based on your serial number, as stored in your main partition. The password for the diags partition is usually "mario" (without the quotes).

When you debrick by writing a copy of a partition image from a DIFFERENT kindle, your root password changes. We have a custom of using a password of "mario" (without the quotes) on debricking images for the main partition. However, there were some firmware images in the wild with different passwords, as documented in the posts where you downloaded them (or in a README file that came with the firmware).

Try the mario password...

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #1277
Evthymios
Evthymios began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, Kindle Paperwhite v1
I have a Kindle Paperwhite v1 (FW 5.3.9 - not jailbreaked). After a longer stay in a drawer (several months), its battery got depleted. A few days ago, as I tried starting it again, it stucked at the screensaver. I kept it charging for 20 hours or so, until the led turned green. It is still stuck at screensaver.

The device appears otherwise to function normally - I can connect it to PC via USB, and access the storage memory. I tried resetting it to factory defaults using file (following this post), but after getting the language selection screen - where I can select "English (United Stated)" - the device continues booting and stucks at the same screensaver. I managed to reapply the latest FW, the update seemed to go normally, but at the end it is still in the screensaver mode.

Is there anything else I can try, considering it isn't jailbreaked - anything besides serial port approach?
Evthymios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #1278
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Kindle paperwhite has 1 year warranty so maybe you can get a replacement. When did you buy it?
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #1279
Evthymios
Evthymios began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Warranty it's not really an option, it was a gift - so I don't have any papers, nor do I know about its provenience...

So I'm really stranded with the serial port approach?
Evthymios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #1280
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I don't think you need papers, you should contact amazon support. I also used warranty for a kindle keyboard which I received as a gift. Amazon sent me a new device.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #1281
VitalikCN
VitalikCN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Dear friends. I need your help. My Kindle Paperwhite is bricked. YKNR. I definetely know that some files were removed. I tried to restore it with update, but it restarts too fast and I can't paste file with update.
I'll appreciate if someone will copy all files and folders from his kindle and download archive with it somewhere. I'll simply replace my files.
Thank you in advance.
VitalikCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #1282
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalikCN View Post
Dear friends. I need your help. My Kindle Paperwhite is bricked. YKNR. I definetely know that some files were removed. I tried to restore it with update, but it restarts too fast and I can't paste file with update.
I'll appreciate if someone will copy all files and folders from his kindle and download archive with it somewhere. I'll simply replace my files.
Thank you in advance.
There is no need to restore any of the files on the USB partition. However, you may want to try this. This uses a simple 0-byte file, so you should have enough time to copy it to the Kindle during the startup.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #1283
VitalikCN
VitalikCN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
There is no need to restore any of the files on the USB partition. However, you may want to try this. This uses a simple 0-byte file, so you should have enough time to copy it to the Kindle during the startup.
Thank you very much! That helped!
VitalikCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #1284
iUTwITe
iUTwITe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NT
ENG
Explain how to go to ssh through Putty? Turn "Enable USBnet", then installed the driver RNDIS. I went into Putty, I enter ip, port 22, shake "Open" - there is an error Connection refused! is tortured this recovery ... the whole day in the morning already ... sit , write how to solve this problem please! Tried later Boot CD https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064 recover , but there comes error at the last stage , when they propose to do wipe and put jailbreak, the total refuse , shake "Next" and inscriptions " ...... Installng last actions .... " well, or something that is an error FAILED! However, I did not charge as much as 20 hours , as they have written , but the charge to green light , because they do not see any reason to torment the battery ...
How do I restore my Kindle???
P.S. - I have a kindle 4 NT

RUS
Объясните, как зайти в ssh через Putty? Включаю "Enable USBnet", далее установил драйвер RNDIS. Захожу в пути, ввожу ip, порт 22, жму "Open" - выходит ошибка Connection refused! Замучился уже с этим восстановлением...целый день с утра сижу уже...напишите, как решить эту проблему плиз! Пробовал еще через Boot CD https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206064 восстанавливать, но там выходит ошибка на самом последнем этапе, когда предлагают сделать wipe и поставить jailbreak, от всего отказываюсь, жму "Next" и на надписи "......Installng last actions...." ну или что-то типо того выходит ошибка FAILED! Правда, я не заряжал целых 20 часов, как там написано, но зарядил до зеленого индикатора, ибо не вижу смысла мучить батарею...
Как мне восстановить свой Kindle ???
P.S. - у меня kindle 4 NT

Last edited by iUTwITe; 04-27-2014 at 10:46 AM.
iUTwITe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #1285
society2008
society2008 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k3
kindle 3 black screen brick

battery has been charged by taken out it .but k3 can't open.
green lamp blinks .and over .use ATk ,appear "no detect USB".
plug usb line into k3 ,indicator turns orange ,only a few seconds ,and then turn out .
what's wrong with K3?
society2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #1286
DaveH52
DaveH52 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replika View Post
I've bought a PW demo unit from eBay with a hope that I can get it working as normal device.

Basically, what I have done so far:
1. Buy a FTDI Breakout USB-TTL (~$8)
2. Solder Kindle serial pins
3. Use kermit, login as root, dd mmcblk0p[123] to /mnt/us
4. Reboot in recovery mode
5. Export FAT partition
6. Plug USB cable and backup mmcblk0p[123] to my PC

I'm going to copy official kindle update from amazon website and do:

U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition

Is that safe doing that? What else should I backup?
Ok so I'm a real noob! I've connected an FTDI USB-TTL 3v3 to the serial port. What baud rate, number of bits, parity, etc., should I be setting my terminal program to in order to communicate with the serial port of a PW1?
DaveH52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #1287
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH52 View Post
Ok so I'm a real noob! I've connected an FTDI USB-TTL 3v3 to the serial port. What baud rate, number of bits, parity, etc., should I be setting my terminal program to in order to communicate with the serial port of a PW1?
Actually, the wrong adapter - should be the 1v8 (1.8 volt).

But other people have reported using the 3.3 volt interface levels.
And if any of those other people have destroyed their Kindle interface, they have been ashamed to admit it.

115200,8,N,1 no flow control (neither hardware nor software).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #1288
ethanova
ethanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
So I had to put Kubrick on a dvd to get it to even boot on my desktop. When I finally got into Kubrick it wants me to put my device into fastboot (hold power till light goes off, hit home and let go of power then home). I begin to hold down power and before the amber light goes off, kubrick shows on screen that device is ready. I've tried completing the button steps, I've tried continuing to hold the power button; nothing works because on the next screen it WILL NOT enter fastboot mode and continue on. Any ideas?

Background - had this kindle touch for a while laying around off network and jailbroken, decided to login to wifi and attach my amazon account and when it updated itself is when it bricked.
ethanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #1289
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
See the thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
Pay attention to post #3

(Battery died while flash controller was trying to write a complete update - your device is dead,
Or close enough to dead to count. It may still run in "Diags" mode.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2014 at 10:26 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #1290
ethanova
ethanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well I keep it pretty well charged and it looked fine when I turned it on to play with it so I don't know how much sense that makes. How would I test it in diags mode?
ethanova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking