Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
abethan53
abethan53 began at the beginning.

Device: Compaq Presario C700 laptop
Unhappy Save icon button doesn't work

Hi, I'm new to your forum. As an author, I'm working on my ebook from a laptop, not a reader. I'm using the latest Sigil program to clean up my epub file. The problem is when I click the 'Save' icon, Sigil does not save my changes. In other words, it undos everything I did. The 'Save As' button works fine, so it's not that. Can someone 'Save' me?
abethan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by abethan53 View Post
Hi, I'm new to your forum. As an author, I'm working on my ebook from a laptop, not a reader. I'm using the latest Sigil program to clean up my epub file. The problem is when I click the 'Save' icon, Sigil does not save my changes. In other words, it undos everything I did. The 'Save As' button works fine, so it's not that. Can someone 'Save' me?
1) Your original file (the one you opened with Sigil) has a permissions problem (includes being read only)
2) some other program is also accessing the SAME file.. Blocking a save
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
abethan53

You mentioned that my original file I opened with Sigil has a permissions problem (that includes being read only), and that some other program is also accessing the same file, blocking a save. Fact is, I've been working only with Adobe Reader, not Adobe Acrobat. Would that account for my conversion and Sigil editing woes? Also, I don't have Word, but use Open Office Writer (.odt) word processor. I assume that is not a factor, however, right? Driving around in an old tank, I guess. Let me know if Adobe Reader limitations is the culprit!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mentioned that my original file I opened with Sigil has a permissions problem (that includes being read only), and that some other program is also accessing the same file, blocking a save. Fact is, I've been working only with Adobe Reader, not Adobe Acrobat. Would that account for my conversion and Sigil editing woes? Also, I don't have Word, but use Open Office Writer (.odt) word processor. I assume that is not a factor, however, right? Driving around in an old tank, I guess. Let me know if Adobe Reader limitations is the culprit!
ANY program that has the file open will block.

FWIW I use sometimes use Libre office, Notepad++, ebook_viewer (p/o calibre) together. If I make a mistake and leave open the same file, I get a save error. Simply closing the other allows the save. Just because a program does not allow EDITS, does not mean it does not lock a file.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
ANY program that has the file open will block.

FWIW I use sometimes use Libre office, Notepad++, ebook_viewer (p/o calibre) together. If I make a mistake and leave open the same file, I get a save error. Simply closing the other allows the save. Just because a program does not allow EDITS, does not mean it does not lock a file.
Notepad++ will not lock the file even when it has it opened. It will alert you that the file has been changed and offer to reload it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Notepad++ will not lock the file even when it has it opened. It will alert you that the file has been changed and offer to reload it.

Dale
I know that I was keeping it simple.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I know that I was keeping it simple.
Simple is good when it is right but confusing when it is wrong. Right trumps simple every time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
abethan53

Cool I'm back

Both of you are outstanding. I'm flattered, but to be honest, I haven't a clue what you guys are trying to convey to me. I only have a 'Save' button and a 'Save As' button, not a Lock or Unlock setting (at least that I'm aware of). I have a simple laptop, I have no idea what toys work for you both nor do I really care. Put yourselves in my shoes for a moment. In forums, most in geek cyberspace talk over my head because I can't relate to their personal hardware, software, and upgrades. I'm clearly out of their class.
I'm thinking of renting another laptop or desktop so I might replicate everything I've done, using the more popular Word format with Adobe Acrobat (both of which I don't have) in the hope I may spot an obvious difference in the results, or get a clue and possibly a solid lead. What's your verdict on this? Don't you suspect a software problem just a tad bit?
Is working with what I currently have: up to snuff or not? Ask any questions! The snag remains the same: The unresponsive ePub 'Save' button on Sigil Editor. If anyone can outsmart that gremlin, I can safely say "I'm home free".
Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. CLOSE any program in which that book is open.

2. open that book with sigil

3. does the save button work now ? yes or no

if that's too complicated then I give up
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What OS are you using?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Both of you are outstanding. I'm flattered, but to be honest, I haven't a clue what you guys are trying to convey to me. I only have a 'Save' button and a 'Save As' button, not a Lock or Unlock setting (at least that I'm aware of). I have a simple laptop, I have no idea what toys work for you both nor do I really care. Put yourselves in my shoes for a moment. In forums, most in geek cyberspace talk over my head because I can't relate to their personal hardware, software, and upgrades. I'm clearly out of their class.
You need to be aware that Sigil is software that's kinda for geeks. It's not a word-processor. It's an editor for XHTML files, comprising ePUBs. It's not intended as an authorial tool, but as an ePUB creation and editing tool. To use it competently, you'll need to invest a little time in learning some of the geekier aspects, just so you know.

Quote:
I'm thinking of renting another laptop or desktop so I might replicate everything I've done, using the more popular Word format with Adobe Acrobat (both of which I don't have) in the hope I may spot an obvious difference in the results, or get a clue and possibly a solid lead. What's your verdict on this? Don't you suspect a software problem just a tad bit?
No. They're telling you that you have the file also open--you're viewing it--in ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) or something else, thus your "save" won't work. That's why "save as" works--you're not trying to overwrite a file you have in use already. That's to what they are referring when they are mentioning that the file is "locked;" you are trying to use it in two places at once, or at least, that's what it sounds like here at Haven De'Nerds.

Quote:
Is working with what I currently have: up to snuff or not? Ask any questions! The snag remains the same: The unresponsive ePub 'Save' button on Sigil Editor. If anyone can outsmart that gremlin, I can safely say "I'm home free".
You're the one that's outsmarting it, I suspect. Please close any other programs in which you are viewing the file, and then try saving.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Another thing to consider is if you have opened the files from within another program ie Calibre and then renamed the file in Calibre while the file is open in Sigil you will get this same problem as the original file path is no longer available.

This has happened to me
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
abethan53

the bachelor party

Yes, I understand. The conflict is in running 2 files at once, and, yes, Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is activated in my system. I will deactivate one to spare the other right away to atone for my horrible sinning (I AM the gremlin).

As far as enhancing the editing part, I also belatedly learned that Calibre could always use a bit of tweaking beforehand on my part before sending it to Sigil. I guess a little Nerd-ery ain't so bad. I've been writing a book over and above work for the last dozen years and I left the planet for awhile. I'm eternally GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL! (Til my next awesome blunder).

Last edited by abethan53; 06-16-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes, I understand. The conflict is in running 2 files at once, and, yes, Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is activated in my system. I will deactivate one to spare the other right away to atone for my horrible sinning (I AM the gremlin).

As far as enhancing the editing part, I also belatedly learned that Calibre could always use a bit of tweaking beforehand on my part before sending it to Sigil. I guess a little Nerd-ery ain't so bad. I've been writing a book over and above work for the last dozen years and I left the planet for awhile. I'm eternally GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL! (Til my next awesome blunder).
Having ADE enabled is not a problem

Looking at the book in/with ADE while using Sigil on that same book (file), is a lock contention possibility.

FWIW, the OS is what will automatically do the locking in the background to protect your file/work (Alright now,whose change should be allowed? ...Block ), unless the program requests otherwise.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
What does Sigil do if the file's read only attribute is set? Could this be the problem?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote